“Serene and Heavenly”
Review of Holualoa Inn

Holualoa Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Holualoa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 April 2008

We just came home from spending a wonderful 3 days at the Holualoa Inn and I couldn't recommend a better place to stay. It was our 30th anniversary and it was a memorable place for a memorable occasion. Because there are few walls in the common spaces the scents from the flowering trees are everpresent. There are beautiful gardens and an artistic tiled swimming pool. The floors and walls are made of beautiful wood and everyone takes off their shoes to walk inside, which gives an air of quiet and peacefulness. There was a covered sitting area on the roof which was my favorite place to read and absorb the view of the ocean and town below. Our flight left late at night and they provide you with a small room with bathroom facilities and a key to keep your suitcases in after you have checked out. That was such a great thing. The staff was quick to help schedule a trip or with helpful info about the area. We got a personal little tour of their coffee plantation and of course drank lots of it with their exquisitely prepared and served breakfast every day . Breakfast was innovative and delicious using fresh local foods and it was so nice conversing with the other guests at the table. We stayed in the hibiscus room and the view and accomodations were perfect. Although it was a bit pricey , it was worth it because of the special feeling you got being there. The ambience was the key...serene, tranquil, meditative and beautiful down to the smallest detail. Hopefully we can return someday for a longer stay.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JBBar

Reviewed 10 January 2008

We stayed in the Gardenia Room and I highly recommend it. Holualoa is beautiful, the pictures here don't capture the relaxing atmosphere or beautiful view. There are windows and open doors everywhere, giving the place a constant pleasant breeze as if there were no walls. The breakfasts were fantastic, overlooking the breathtaking view (Holualoa is in the hills, so you can see the whole coastline).

The rooms had every convenience I could have wanted and the bed was incredibly comfortable, with wonderful bedding. While it's not on the beach, it does have a pretty pool and hot tub, and it's an easy drive to nearby beaches.

They only have 6 rooms (half of which were taken when we were there), so we practically had the place to ourselves. It was complete paradise, and I would go back in a heartbeat. I had been deciding between the Four Seasons and Holualoa, and I'm very happy I chose Holualoa!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank 532rome
Reviewed 24 November 2007

We went this year to Hawaii for the yearly Kona coffee festival. While there we stayed at this inn for a full week. While pricey it was much more than we could ever hope for. Peaceful views, quiet above the buzz of Kona, close proximity to coffee farms, helpful staff and great breakfasts were just the beginning. We loved either just hanging out here reading on the perch above the inn with great views down to the coast or returning here after a long day of exploring to relax and wind down. Our room was very well kept and extremely tasteful in design. We will return here again.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nino001
Reviewed 30 July 2007

We have just returned from a weeks honeymoon in the Orchid Room of the Holoalua Inn, which although the cheapest room out of the 6, was sumptuous and had all in it that we required and more. The swimming pool and grounds, including two hot tubs, were beautifully kept and the breakfasts were gorgeous and we never managed to finish a whole one. This is a different class of B&B, reflected in the price, but you get what you pay for with all the little extras, such as fresh cakes every afternoon and coffee and tea available from a table by the kitchen for most of the day. It is perfect for couples, especially honeymooners as the staff make you feel very special and you don't really see most of the other guests apart from at breakfast, where it was good to compare notes on where we all had been. The view is fantastic of coast and the temperature is cooler as it is some way up the mountain, however this is not a place you can get to without a car. We cannot recommend this inn enough and will hopefully be back there one day for an anniversary or two!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vicky0026
Reviewed 11 July 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed three nights at the Holuloa Inn in the Hibiscus Room. We had an amazing time. At first, it was a bit spooky because we arrived after 6pm, and there was no one around. We poked our noses around, however, and quickly felt at home, although we felt like we had to be on the quiet side. The property is gorgeous. It is amazingly well-kept. The rooms are clean and very stylish, the gardens are beautiful, the pool and hot tub were in great shape, and there were lots of thoughtful touches, e.g. a flashlight in the room. The biggest selling point is the view out over the Kona coast. It was beautiful and mezmerizing any time, but the sunsets in particular were amazing. The breakfasts were great, too, although they tended to be on the sweet side. There were two other couples staying at the same time, and we talked and said hello, but it's not a typically B&B situation where you have small talk over breakfast; a plus in our book. This is certainly not a place for families or children, but for sophisticated couples it is the best. One of my favorite hotels ever in fact, a very peaceful and relaxing place. I had two quibbles, the first is that there were a lot of bugs, including a big spider in the bathroom. The property is in a tropical forest, so this is to be expected, and my girlfriend cared a lot more about this than I did. Second, the coffee maker in the communal kitchen hadn't been emptied, and there were moldy grounds left in it. I washed it out, and it wasn't a problem. By the way, they provide a gas grill by the pool if you want to cook out. We took advantage of this, and had a nice (and cheap) dinner by the pool. Again, this was the lodging highlight of our trip to Hawaii, and I can't recommend the place enough.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RoderickArz
Reviewed 7 April 2007

The rooms and grounds are beautiful. The breakfasts are delicious, especially the coffee they grow on their own plantation.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank geekspice
Reviewed 16 November 2006

My wife and I stayed here on the last night of our honeymoon. The view was great, the location was nice, the staff was generally courteous, and the open-air setup was outstanding. The bed was luxurious, and it was a great finale to our trip. It felt like being in an exclusive resort - one for just the few of us who managed to find this spot. Upon arrival, you are asked to remove your shoes so as not to damage the hardwood floors. Breakfast was very nice as well - presentation, taste and quantity were all good, including both hot and cold dishes and local coffee. The concierge book suggested things to do and places to see both near and far on the island. There were some negatives, however. The temperature was a little higher than I expected, and with no AC we left the windows open... but I had a hard time sleeping with the various nature sounds - dripping water, crickets or cicaedas, and birds, including a very early rooster in the distance. Funny, but I had no problems with the ocean when we were staying right over the water, while I did have trouble with the lower-volume but not as predictable sounds here... the other thing that soured me, was that the bill included "suggested gratuity" amounts of 10, 15 and 20% (for "good, great, or excellent" service) on top of a bill that was already double what the guide book which suggested it listed, and also on top of a $50 extra charge for only staying a single night. I'd never seen that at a hotel, before, and particularly not one where I was already spending nearly $400 for one night. Overall, I'm glad we stayed here instead of, say, the Sheraton; and it was a nice way to wrap up our trip, but I do not want to go back... and I didn't really feel completely welcome... like maybe I wasn't old money enough or sophisticated enough to be a desireable guest there. My wife didn't have that feeling at all, though, and she wished we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Torisen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holualoa
28 mi away
#1 of 6 in Holualoa
Ohi'a Park Estate
Ohi'a Park Estate
#2 of 13 in Kailua-Kona

Been to Holualoa Inn? Share your experiences!