“Waterfall Hike”
Review of Hawaiian Walkways

Hawaiian Walkways
Ranked #9 of 20 things to do in Honokaa
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My husband and I took this tour as one of our only times 'alone' during our Big Island vacation. Our niece and aunt were watching our kids. It was about a 30 minute drive to Waimea from Waikoloa Beach Resort area to our mtg spot. that is where our guide, Hugh, took us in his van. We were with one other couple. The drive to the trail head was an adventure of its own as we drove on Mud Lane for about 45 min which is basically a dirt road eventually and single lane, surrounded by thick forest. We were outfitted for the hike including walking sticks which helped a lot. It had rained and the trail was muddy and slick in spots. It was an interesting and informative hike. The waterfall was gorgeous but we opted not to swim because it was quite chilly and overcast and raining. Still fun though. We enjoyed this a lot. I am not that athletic but I did not have any problems. It wasn't too strenuous but it was very steep up and down at times . Two thumbs up!

4  Thank nicstress

Reviewed 22 September 2011

Hugh is the owner/operator of Hawaiian Walkways. We took a several hour tour with him (my wife and a lovely young lady from the UK) through the Waipio Valley. What an incrediable tour with a man who lives and breathes the place.

We saw mountians, streams, waterfalls and plant life that without Hugh we would have never seen. He has a deal with the Bishop Estate to use their land for hiking. I cannot say enough of how enjoyable my wife and I found this tour.

We would do it again Hugh is absolutely the best at what he does.

1  Thank mrte62
Reviewed 11 January 2011

My girlfriend and I did a 9-mile Kilauea Volcano hike with Hugh, and couldn't have asked for a better experience. We were told that a guide wasn't needed for the volcano, but we came away so thankful that we did. Hugh pointed out things we would never have known in all areas.

Thanks for making a childhood dream come true!

Reviewed 30 December 2010

We had the great pleasure of having a skilled and thoughtful guide named Hugh Montgomery of Hawaiian Walkways take us on a hike into the rim of Waipio Valley. I learned nature and history of Hawaii from him that I drew on the rest of my trip. Why Waipio? Remote and hidden beauty and interesting stories about people living there.
Check out the website.

Reviewed 10 February 2010

Hawaiian Walkways provides a great way to hike the rim of this beautiful valley and swim in a waterfall if you want. Joe, our guide was friendly and knowledgeable about the local flora and fauna, providing us with a lot more information than we would have learned on our own. Definitely a better experience than just going to the overlook or walking down into the valley on your own.