“Old Hawaii and plenty of kitch!”
Review of Honoka'a Club

Honoka'a Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Honokaa
Cottage Grove, Oregon
“Old Hawaii and plenty of kitch!”
Reviewed 10 February 2013

As othershave said, if you are looking for luxury accomodations and a place where nothing is more than a few years old stay away! If you like nostalgia, can accept old as long as its clean and want to take a trip back in Hawaii's past, this is your place.

We spent two nights and thought it was fun! The manager was very friendly and we had good conversations with her at breakfast. The offering was a bit weak, but adequate and plenty of coffee. The biggest negative was the neighbors chickens. Someone needs to shoot that rooster and make a chicken dinner out of him!

I hope the owner invests enough money to do some repairs an fix the place up more. It is dated (built in 1928) and the room furnishings are getting thread bare. Bed as comfortable and felt that it was clean (as well as you could make an old hotel). Wehad an upstairs corner room and had a great view. Loction is excellent and Honokaa is great little town!

Room Tip: upstairs corner room, best view
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank oldirish33

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Great stop to organize yourself before your hike or excursion in the area. 10 minute drive to waipio and good informative hosts who know lots about the area and all the hikes around waipio. Its not a resort but is exactly what it says it is!

Room Tip: Owners recommend a good location based on what's available.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bjp2011
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 24 February 2012

If you want a new Hawaii hotel, stay in Kona. If you want a peek into old Hawaii and a friendly manager, and don't mind that it's a bit run down and maybe the showers could use a little more cleaning, stay here. I have four times and every time I enjoy it. It isn't for everyone for sure - maybe that's part of its charm! And the views from the third floor are the best of any hotel I stayed in.

Room Tip: Pay more and stay on the thirds floor for the incredible views of the ocean
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank AdventuresinGoodComp
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 9 September 2011

If you are after a 5 star resort, this is not your place as the rooms are quite old. But if you want a place with some old world Hawaii charm and the most wonderful of hosts, you can't beat this place. The price is reasonable. The location, right on main street in Honoka'a, is great. It's a perfect jump off spot for Waipi'o hiking. The gracious hosts, thought, make it all worthwhile. They are amazingly accommodating, friendly and full or great information about the surrounding area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dave P
Tubingen, Germany
Reviewed 5 March 2011

This is the ultimate retro hotel! Loved the style!
I stayed in a dorm. Room was nice.

Positive points:
- Retro style
- Competitive prices
- easy to find. Right next to the road
- Convenient for Waipi o Valley visits

Negative points:
- A bit run down
- reception hours are limited
- slow internet (only wifi, no PCs!!)
- super noisy frogs in the yard who might keep you awake all night!!
- For dorms you have to provide your own sheets or pay 10 USD extra

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank gagalichen
No. Calif
Reviewed 28 December 2010

I needed to be in Honoka'a, and Hilo is 1.25 hrs. away, so we stayed there. I believed the website. Whew. I've never been to such a dump. Never. And I grew up in Hawaii. It's like camping out. If that's what you expect, it's not a problem. However, I feel there is nothing "hotel" or "club"-like about this place. It was built in 1908. That should give you pause. I don't think they've put in much $ to fix anything--except maybe the website guy. We were on the 1st flr. A hall window opened onto the "backyard" without screens or glass. ( I wonder what they do in the summer with mosquitoes.) What got to me was there is absolutely no sound proofing between rooms (all rooms have screen transoms). So when the 3 guys sharing a room across us unzipped their luggage, it sounded like they were in our room. We heard every word they said as talked on and on into the night. My husband and I asked them to quiet down, but we could even hear them when they were whispering--every word. BTW, there is no one to complain to after 8PM at night.

I finally fell asleep exhausted around 2 AM (I had flown in that day). The cold, old, mildewy, lumpy bed with threadbare sheets didn't help. I was worried about bedbugs. At 4:30AM the wild roosters started crowing and didn't stop until at least 8. On a positive note, the shower was great. BTW, There was no TV. It was a smallish room with two beds, two lamps and two end tables. If you like camping, you'll like this "hotel." Breakfast was bread, slices of papaya or avocado and coffee (ugh). The couple who manage the Honokaa are well-meaning, but clueless or have no budget. The place is used by civic nonprofits for meetings, and the community "loves" them, so I hear. Good for them. I would skip this place and go into Waimea (1/2 hour away) for a real hotel/motel. This was a big lesson for me on believing photos on websites. If you're on a vacation or want to impress someone, go somewhere else, even if you have to spend $.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank onsecondhoneymoon

Travellers are raving about these Honokaa hotels

Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 October 2010

We stayed here 1 night. We had a corner room on 2nd floor. We arrived here early (3:30pm) and we were checking in by 4pm. Once we got to our room we thought it was really nice for the price. We are low-maintenance couple and we thourghly enjoyed our stay here. The couple that run the place are very hospitable, social, and friendly. We didn't EXPECT much for the continental breakfast, and so the breakfast fit our needs and we found an EXCELLANT place to have breakfast....Hawaii Style Cafe in Wamiea, about 20 min drive.
Overall, this was a nice room for the price, and I recommend this to anyone who is not looking for a lot of extras, and would like a comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scooter2724
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honokaa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Arnott's Lodge
Arnott's Lodge
#1 of 8 in Hilo
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Honoka'a Club? Share your experiences!