“A special place”

GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“A special place”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Waianuhea is one of our favorite B&Bs we have ever stayed it. One of the worst storms in years came through the area while we were staying here, and we could hardly leave the property. Usually this would drive me crazy, but at Waianuhea, it was a pleasure. They seem to have thought of everything—from their fabulous movie library to happy hour apps and wine to the hot tub with the outstanding view. The staff here was some of the best I have ever met anywhere, and the hospitality from all of them seemed truly genuine, not like just a job. When we were rained in one night, we were treated to homemade pizzas, wine, and kale salad, none of which we were charged for. And the breakfasts? Incredible—way above our expectations. Waianuhea turned our disappointing (because of weather) weekend into a memorable and lovely experience. Our only caveats are to bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper (because the bedrooms are near the common areas) and arrive during the day if you can because the property is difficult to find (even with their excellent directions). Highest recommendation.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 10 January 2014

My husband and I spent two nights at the Waianuhea Bed and Breakfast on our honeymoon. We were blown away by the residence - it's gorgeous and spacious yet intimate. The staff is welcoming and kind, never in your face, but always available for any questions. The breakfast is top notch, you will not leave hungry! The wine and appetizer hour is a nice touch. We opted for the four course dinner one night and were glad we did, yum! I have some dietary restrictions, and they were no problem to the fantastic crew. The location is also wonderful, we loved the town of Honoka'a, and it's easy to take day trips along the beautiful coast in either direction.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Agoura Hills, California
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The Waianuhea B&B is a great and unique place to stay. The rooms are roomy and very comfortable. The area is very quiet being high in the hills above town. The house is very large - the largest and roomiest common areas I have ever seen in a B&B. The service is incredible - all the staff is very nice and helpful. The food is the best I have ever had in a B&B.

The breakfast is amazing. The one of the best omelets I have ever had, fresh fruit and toast. They have coffee made at 6am and a common fridge and microwave you can use anytime.

The happy hour everyday had good choices of wine and hors d'oeuvres.

For two of the nights, we did the four course gourmet dinner. Stephanie, a private chef, made the most incredible meals. All the food was local and they were amazing. If you like food, I highly recommend this. The restaurant choices in the area are limited. You need to go to Wiamea (about 15 miles away) to have a good selection of restaurants.

The only negative thing I can think of about Waianuhea is that the Wi-Fi seemed to only cover the breakfast area and not the rooms or other common areas. In the breakfast area it worked fine. They do have a computer downstairs you can use and that worked fine. I think they should work at expanding the range of the Wi-Fi.

If you would like to stay in this lovely part of the Big Island this is the place to stay. It is close to Waipio Valley and is in a beautiful area high in the hills.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very nice. Some are bigger and have bathtubs or King Beds. We had the normal Que...
Green Features: This is off the grid. The house is 100% solar powered. All food is locally sourced.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Houston, TX
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My husband and I just returned from a trip to the Big Island where we spent the last two nights at Waianuhea B&B. Let me say - I'm picky and we LOVED this place - it was so relaxing and we were treated like royalty. We stayed in the Liolio Room and were very pleased with it. Sophia greeted us upon arrival and was very hospitable showing us around the place...she cooked an incredible breakfast the next morning. Had dinner our first night and the chef, Stephanie, did an excellent job cooking up family recipes. The manager, Randi, emailed me with many suggestions on things to do on the Big Island - all of which were wonderful suggestions and she went out of her way to accomodate our gluten-free requests. Others we met there were Jeff, Lisa and Verna - all were spectacular. Everyone was very hospitable but not to the point where it felt intrusive. We would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Liolio and loved it. Spacious room with king poster bed, small balcony overlooking...
Green Features: This hotel is totally green - they are OFF the grid and use solar for their power. They also collect rain water for watering plants.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank texascajun1
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I was looking for unique, off the beaten path travel experiences, and this one was perfect. Anyone wanting to open a bed & breakfast should look to Waianuhea for inspiration. It is in a very remote location, and with the heavy rainstorm, it was a bit of an experience in and of itself getting there in our little rental car (we were nearly stopped by a fallen tree.) But once you get there, its this remote paradise up in the mountains, with sheep and chickens, and fish ponds, and great hospitality. We were also traveling with our two year old - and my husband was skeptical any bed & breakfast would want a family with such a young child. Not only was she welcome, but this was actually her favorite place we stayed too. The manager, Randy, came out and greeted us. She showed us around, and they even have a closet of toys and books for kids. We had wine and appetizers, and chatted with Randy for a couple of hours. All of the other guests were out, so it was just us. They loaned us "Madagascar 3" for our daughter from their massive video collection, all of which is available to guests. The next morning, we had the most delicious breakfast of french toast with macadamia nuts and sausage. My husband had french toast everywhere on the trip, and he said this was the best. We really felt like welcome guests, not like paying customers. It was just an amazing experience, and a side of Hawaii that I think most tourists don't get to see.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My wife and I spent four nights from Friday to Tuesday of the previous week and had a wonderful, peaceful, relaxing time. I will echo many of the previous reviews. The house is wonderful and in a secluded spot even if it is only about two miles away from the main highway that circles the Big Island. You are at elevation on the slopes of Mauna Kea and can see the observatories at the top of the mountain if it is clear (you are on the wet side of the island, but you will often get some bright patched). We came away thorough relaxed and refreshed and we definitely want to return, hopefully bringing some of my wife's extended family. Here are some details.

1) Randy is the manager and greeted us, hosted the wine and pupu at 5 PM each day, and was very helpful with information about what to do on the property and on the island. She is a calming force in the storm of life!

2) Jeff was the fantastic breakfast cook and Lisa help him serve on most days. When Jeff learned that we were vegan, he went out of his way to come up with great ideas. Always very tasty, filling, and well presented. He made scones with slices of ginger a couple of mornings - fantastic! On the last day, he made oatmeal with small slices of a type of winter-like squash on top. An interesting combination and I was surprised how good it was! Lisa was always gracious.

3) Stephanie is the cook for dinners. I made a big mistake and forgot to let her know that my wife can't eat dairy and we are largely vegan (although we eat fish while traveling). The first night, she made a white fish (Ono) with a very light, very lemony coating with a cream sauce. Sides of garlic mashed potatoes and sauteed veggies. I've traveled all over the world and this dinner is right up there with the best I have every had. Reminds me of a fantastic lemon chicken I had in Greewnich Village years ago. She had made a cheesecake for us, but then whipped up a coconut milk parfait at the last moment. We asked to have dinner with her again after this great meal. The second was just as spectacular. Definitely have dinner there at least one night with Stephanie!

4) The wine and pupu at 5 PM each night is great. Nice wine and snacks and conversation with other guests/Randy if you are interested. You don't need the four course dinner if you can be around for the "happy hour."

5) The house is very nice. Spacious public spaces. The views over the green property is quite nice. Quite, relaxing, ...

6) After dinner our first night, we went out to the front of the house to the jacuzzi. It had been drizzling most of the time, but then cleared up. The stars were just spectacular!

7) The property is off the grid - lots of solar panels and a generator for back up. We never heard the generator unless we were outside (it was not on all that much), and even then it is not that noticeable.

8) We were in the first room on the left. (forgot the name). It is small, as indicated by other reviewers, but no issue for us. We spent most of our time in the public areas. Also, we just returned from a trip to Italy early in the month, so this was quite spacious in comparison. The room is fairly well insulated sound wise, but you do hear the others at breakfast if there are kids about. I didn't mind - usually ready to get up, and my wife can sleep through anything in the morning.

9) The road to the B&B is single lane, windy, and quite bumpy (OK for a regular car). I just would not have wanted to do this at night if it was my first time on the road. At some points, I was a bit confused about some of the (sharp) turns (could this REALLY be the right way ...), but it was easy at night after I had gone over the road once.

10) We decided to stay at Waianuhea the day that tropical storm Flossie went over the island (only the third similar storm in 60 years). We had a great day sitting around reading, etc. The wind never picked up - Lisa said that Pele was protecting the island. What a way to relax - we had the run of the house to ourselves.

11) The little kitchen is nice. Coffee every morning by 6 AM (or 6:30? I forget). Nice way for me to help get my wife out of bed ...

12) My wife and I pre-paid for one hour (each) massages. I have never been able to get myself to do this. Shannon was wonderful! We schedule the massages from 3-5, then we went right to the wine and pupu, then to dinner with Stephanie, then to the jacuzzi. What a way to melt! I highly recommend it!

I've said enough - this is a great place and we hope to come back!

Room Tip: If you care about being very quite all the time, there is a suite that is on the far end of the hous...
Green Features: Off the grid. We didn't need linens changed every day and they made it easy to indicate whether we wanted this or not.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daniel G
East Hampton, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I scored big points when I booked this outstanding B & B. on the East side of the Island, 7/17-7/19. This is the opposite landscape that you see near the Airport in KONO. This area gets plenty of rain, and is very tropical. No Lava fields here. The place is off the beaten track for sure, but you will enjoy ever minute of your stay at Waianuhea. Besides beautiful, quiet, surroundings and comfortable accommodations, the people who work there really make you feel welcome. Randy, Lisa, Jeff and Stephanie really pampered us. We never felt more special at any other place we have stayed. Randy Jeff, and Lisa served up a great Breakfast every morning, along with good conversation. Stephanie prepared a special dinner for my wife and I on our first night there. It was exquisite! She was our personal Chef that evening. Fantastic! Randy supplied maps, restaurant tips, and sites to see. We followed her advise to the letter and had a Great Time.
Be sure to go the "HILO BAY CAFE" in Hilo. Good Food. Also go to the "Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden" on the way to Hilo. Don't forget "Volcano National Park". You'll need a whole day to explore the park. Take the 36 mile "Chain of Craters" drive. Visit the town of Hawi, a photographic ride for sure. Waianuhea is a Great place to use as a Home Base for your island travels.

Room Tip: There was no AC, but a fan was fine. You are at elevation (2500 ft). We stayed in the Oluolu room wh...
Green Features: It's obvious they are an environmentally friendly business. Several solar collectors on the property.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tripping71
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honokaa
Honoka'a Club
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Jacaranda Inn
Jacaranda Inn
#4 of 8 in Waimea

Been to Waianuhea Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!