“The sandwiches are better than the doughnuts”

Tex Drive In & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Honokaa
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I realize most people come here for the doughnuts, excuse me, malasadas. They're warm, puffy, soft fleshed doughnuts with granulated sugar on them. And perhaps a filling if you choose 'em that way. That's it. We were unimpressed with this most famous of their offerings. However, the burgers are outstanding and not so big as to make you need a nap. Served on Hawaiian rolls and cooked to your specification with freshly ground local beef these would be the reason we would return. My daughter had the fish fillet sandwich (not the fried cod, the local fish), and it too was delicious. The prices are also good for the Big Island. If they were known for these alone I'd give them five circles. However, you may really like the warm granulated sugar covered doughnuts. It seems that most people do. We saw lots of folks ordering multiples each, and a box to go! They cost $1 each for the unfilled variety, fyi.

There are newer reviews for Tex Drive In & Restaurant

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We went to Farmers Mkt today...Asked where the MALASADAS were..The KettleCorn Lady and her daughter told us to head 15 min. Down to Tex's Drive In...My Mom got the Portuguese Sausage, eggs and hash browns..loved it...Donna got Garden Burger Loco MOCO ..Loved it..needed more gravy though..and I got Grilled Cheese ..good..couldn't believe the Lines...the line was out the door and the girl calling the numbers would say..can I help the next person in line..instead of ...OPENING A 2nd line ..she would Multi task and then take another order here and there...NEED MORE HIRED HELP..Yes, we will be driving through next time..MUCH FASTER.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

My husband and I stopped early during our vacation for a malasada as we drove to the east side for a zip lining tour. The wait was not as long as others encountered. The malasada was nothing less than amazing. How can warm fried dough, dipped in sugar, be so good? We enjoyed them so much that we took the northern route from Kona to Volcanoes, just so we could stop for another.

We did not order anything else, so have no idea if the food is good or not.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

My wife and I stopped here for lunch after visiting the Hawaii Vanilla Company and on our way to the Waipio valley overlook. The deli sandwich on their homemade sweet bread was good. The Malasadas were amazing! If I could have I would have tried one with every kind of filling. We stopped here on the advice of my sister who has visited the islands more

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We were driving from Hilo to Kona and had heard about Tex's, so thought we would drive up the coast instead of driving Saddle Road. Stopped at Tex's and got in the looong line. We waited for over 30 minutes to order our Malasadas, so we ended up ordering a dozen. We liked the unfilled much better than the filled (no raspberry left so we tried Bavarian cream, chocolate, strawberry and apple). The cashier was not overly friendly but the woman who brought out our malasadas was nice. The malasadas are best eaten fresh - we had some left-over the next morning and tried to eat them both unheated and warmed in the microwave and they ended up in the trash!