“This place is wonderful.”

The Palms Cliff House Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Honomu
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This is a wonderful B&B and after my stay there, I booked countless number of clients there (I was a travel agent with AAA until earlier this year) and every single client had a wonderful experience. Let me tell you about check-in for me which has some similarities to Mr. Sour Grapes Alberto E who enjoys bellyaching apparently. I went to only the Big Island with my best friend for his first trip to the Hawaiian Islands. Our first 2-nights were spent in Kona at a condo property. From there, we drove the southern route up to Honomu for our 3-night stay I had arranged with the friendly owners. We were running late due to making too many stops that day to sightsee, shop, eat, drink, etc. and as we drove north of Hilo, it was starting to get a little dark. I had directions, but we zoomed right on past the entrance. Eventually I figured we went too far and had to turn around. I think I went at least 15 miles too far. So, after doubling back, we stopped at a small shop and asked about finding the Palms Cliff House. As I figured, I sailed past the driveway and never saw their sign. It wasn't the most obvious coming from Hilo, but now approaching from a different direction, we saw it right away. We drove down the long and dark driveway and parked next one of the other guests' cars. The front door was locked. Uh oh. Now what? I think I may have panicked for about 30 seconds, and then I checked the mailbox and there was a thick envelope with our names with a welcome letter, keys, and plenty of information. (I believe they clearly explained what to do if checking-in late in their confirmation email, but I did not remember every detail on the spot when finding the front door locked and no staff around). So, we had everything we needed and made our way to our room, checked out the secluded Jacuzzi and had a look around the 24hour guest lounge which was very nice complete with menus of local restaurants, board games, comfortable seating, ice machine & buckets, stemware, honor bar snacks, massage chair, etc.
Very nice tropical style décor in the room, nice bath amenities and can't complain about the oceanfront view, even though the balcony was very small. No big deal.
Amazing breakfasts served on the porch each morning with a breathtaking view of the Pacific.
The owners could not have been nicer and were always helpful to all my clients. I booked a family of seven adults there once and because they were all adults, they arranged for a rollaway in one room so they did not have to pay for a 4th room. (I had them booked in two double rooms and one triple room and they had a very nice experience).
Certainly a romantic place and I highly recommend it. But make sure you carefully read EVERYTHING they send you. They are detail oriented and any difficulty with the late check in was more my fault for not being more thorough reading and comprehending their instructions in their emails.
Mahalo!

Room Tip: Rooms # 2, 3, 6 & 7 are considerably lower in price than the corner rooms which have in room Jac...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Kealaokapua, Owner at The Palms Cliff House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Thrilled you had a wonderful stay, hope to see you again someday!

Reviewed 12 September 2013

The reception desk closes at 5pm. On the day we were supposed to check-in we called the B&B several times between 6pm and 7pm but never managed to get in touch with anybody. We also left a vm at the emergency number. No call back either. We realized the structure was unreachable but couldn't get any instruction on how to check-in that evening. With no other option left, we started to look for another hotel in Hilo and eventually managed to find one and spend the night there. The day after we stopped at Palms Cliff, spoke with the receptionist and complained about not being called back or emailed with check-in instructions. She agreed on recognizing the B&B’s elusiveness and failure to re-contact us, but claimed she could do nothing in the owner’s absence. We emailed the owner, explained this was not a case of 'no show' and asked for a refund accordingly. They didn't even respond to our email. Totally unacceptable.

These people clearly don't care about customers, just about money. Very unprofessional.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
15  Thank Alberto E
Kealaokapua, Owner at The Palms Cliff House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

It is always fun to welcome guests from other countries, despite the language barriers that can exist. We are sorry you had difficulty understanding our late arrival self check in for guests arriving after 5:00pm; Since the message you left indicated you were on your way and you did not request a call back we still anticipated your arrival. I am uncertain how this made us "unreachable." Irregardless, cancellations made after 5 p.m. the day of arrival are charged for that day's reservation. This was explained in our follow up email. We certainly hope the rest of your stay in Hawaii was a wonderful experience.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

While we appreciate that Palms Cliffs is a B&B and not a full service hotel we were disappointed with the lack of facilities. Breakfast is served on a lovely lanai overlooking the sea but has no choice. Visitors who like sweet tastes and pastries will be fine but this is not a 'breakfast buffet'. While the view is beautiful the water is not accessible and there is no pool. It is some 14 miles from the nearest restaurant making it awkward for drivers who would like a drink with dinner. The room was nice but the jacuzzi did not work and the TV worked only one of the two nights we were there. Despite a 10% discount for cash, we found it expensive for what was offered.

Room Tip: Only upstairs rooms have air conditioning
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jeff H

I know it can be a challenge traveling outside one's country to appreciate the simple pleasures offered by a B&B here in Hawaii. We try to make it clear via our website what we do and do not offer. We are limited by our licensing, for example, to only serving breakfast, but we try to make the most of that by offering what we feel are exceptional home made breakfasts. Our location along the Hamakua coast does limit beach access as this is "cliff" country, but we don't advertise beach access or a pool. I wish you had alerted me you were having difficulty operating the jacuzzi in your room, we would have been happy to assist you with understanding how to operate it as well as the tv. So while I am happy you gave us a try, I think you were expecting us to be a full service hotel.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

The Palms Cliff House Inn is a beautiful property with great views of the ocean. The room was beautiful and very comfortable. The breakfast was simple but delicious and Amy was delightful. The owners did not come out to greet us, which was fine- more privacy for the guests. The only thing that could improve is maybe better signage as it was difficult to find, especially at night since google maps could not find it. I would holy recommend it for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Room #5 has in room jacuzzi tub
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Our family spent two enjoyable nights here in rooms 7 and 8. Both had room air conditioners, which we used due to the high humidity. Gorgeous views of the ocean from both rooms. The sunrise was spectacular. Room 7 was larger and had a Jacuzzi tub in a bay window overlooking the palm trees and ocean. The rooms were spotless and well furnished. There were refrigerators and small ice chests in both rooms. The bathrooms were modestly sized. Breakfasts were delicious with ample portions (quiche one morning; French toast the next). There was also a fruit plate, fresh juice, and coffee each morning. We ate dinner in Hilo both nights because there aren't many dining options nearby, but it's an easy 10-15 minute drive to downtown. This was a good spot to tour the waterfalls, botanical gardens and Waipi'o Valley on the eastern side of the Big Island.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TN_Traveller_12
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I'm torn between 4 & 5 stars because I loved it here, but it is actually quite pricey. We arrived very late in the evening and though I suspected we had an ocean view because I could hear waves, I couldn't see it until the morning. Our keys were waiting for us at the door, which was a relief. The room was large, the furniture (including a huge four poster bed) and decor were lovely. The bathroom was a good size and there was a ceiling fan in the bathroom which I found to be a nice touch. The A/C was a welcome amenity because it was quite muggy when we arrived. We didn't turn on a TV during our entire holiday so I cannot comment on it other than to say there was a good size tv in the room. Breakfast was really good - quiche and sausage and a delicious (warm) rum butter muffin on a patio overlooking the ocean; the view is better here because you can see waves and coastline; from the rooms it is a big, still expanse of dark blue water. The woman who helped us at breakfast was super friendly and pleasant (I thought she was remarkably nice and down to earth for the owner of what is essentially a mansion, but turns out she was not the owner. I'm sure the owners are perfectly nice, but we didn't meet them). There is a little gift shop/ gallery near the front desk that is fun to browse around. There are also lawn chairs throughout the property, including in a clearing in the forest behind the house and in front of the house overlooking the ocean, which I would was tempted to abandon our itinerary for and sit and read, but the drizzle scuttled that thought. There is a lounge in the main house that has snacks and drinks for purchase and board games and an ice maker, which was great because we were able to fill our cooler. I was also happy to see big recycling bins.
Our travel book said the Inn was in a remote area but I didn't think so. Palms Cliff House is very close to the waterfalls and the Botanical Garden and not too far from Hilo that you can't pop over for meals. I really liked it here and given a do-over would stay two nights here instead of spreading out our stays and doing one night at a place further north/west as we completed our loop around the Island. The one downside was that it was fairly expensive, probably the most we spent on lodging during our two weeks on the big island, and that includes a place near volcano where we had an entire cottage and hot tub to ourselves.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have large bathtubs, we had only a shower. Some are considered suites, and ours m...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Verovee
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We loved our stay and understood why it was rated as a romantic place. The room was lovely, with a great bed, and plenty of room in the bathroom/shower. The view was beautiful. Breakfast was served on the lanai and it was some of the best breakfast we've had from a B&B. Each morning, we had fruit juice, coffee, tea, water; a muffin, fresh fruit, and then an entrée. The buttered rum muffins were fabulous. It was also a great place to talk with others visiting the island. We didn't find any restaurants close, so we drove into Hilo for dinner, but it was only 10 miles.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honomu
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to The Palms Cliff House Inn? Share your experiences!