“Nice stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Honomu
Basel, Switzerland
“Nice stay”
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

We just spent two nights at the Inn. Beside the fact that it is rather pricey for a B&B on the Hilo side of the island - a fact you are aware of when booking it - we had a wonderful stay there. I do not quite understand how your expectations cannot be matched by it. Large rooms with nice verandas, comfy beds and great views. We also are travelling quite a bit ( benn on all 5 continents and in more than 110 countries). For a B&B it ranks amongst the best we have seen. We did not like the Hilo side of Big Island that much but the Inn made it a lot easier for us to relax there and enjoy it anyways! The breakfast is nice, although no choice is available. But this is also quite usual for a B&B on Hawaii. The only thing we did not understand was why Wifi is not included in the price (charging 10USD per device seems rather odd given the fact that cell phone reception is limited).

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MAB2910

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We spent one night before leaving Hawaii in December. The Inn is described as a boutique hotel but it did not meet our expectations for such a description. The bath in the bathroom was jetted hot tub but the jets were filthy. The baseboard in the bathroom was also damaged and dirty. We had to leave before breakfast was served so we asked for an uncooked breakfast half an hour early. We were given 2 cup cake sized muffins and 2 tangerines for the two of us. We felt that a boutique hotel might have done better. Be sure to take earplugs as the local frogs can be heard through the closed doors. Sadly this was our only disappointment in a 3 week vacation.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank BrendaandJames
Kealaokapua, Owner at The Palms Cliff House Inn, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Aloha, Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and while I welcome criticisms that can help us improve our guests experience, I must begin with correcting you. Our website clearly identifies our property as a Bed & Breakfast. I have no control over what you read else where, only what I publish about my property. As such we do not provide take out breakfasts. we do offer to provide guests who depart early with coffee, muffins, and a fruit to go. this is a courtesy offering, a gift, a little bit of Aloha to send you on your way. It is not meant to be breakfast, that is served at the Inn. As for the condition of the room, I am truly sorry to hear the cleaning staff fell short. They work very hard and in my opinion do an outstanding job. Having said that, they are human so mistakes can happen. Had you alerted me to a problem I and the staff would have corrected the issue immediately. We always prefer the opportunity to exceed our guests expectations to responding to anonymous review posts. But be assured we will review your comment with the staff. Thank you.
Bangkok
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed with my wife beginning of December for 3 nights at the Palms Cliff Inn. The rooms are spacious and very well equipped. Beds are very comfortable. Location is good to explore the Hilo side of the island, lots of sightseeing spots within an hour drive from the Inn.
There is free wifi on the lounge area, but no option to connect to the internet from the rooms or the restaurant which we found not very convenient. Another disadvantage is the very isolated location. If you are looking for a restaurant to go for dinner, you got to drive to Hilo which is a bit over 10 miles away. The breakfast was good, but not really the European tast as all was very sweet.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Christoph M
Aloha, and thank you for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and I appreciate your concerns about no wifi in the rooms. You are correct that we do not provide access in the rooms. So many of our guests now travel with smart devices that connect on their own that we have been scaling back our in house wifi. As fewer and fewer guests use the service I imagine we will eventually eliminate it all together and put those resources toward another guest enhancement. As for the breakfast, we do try to utilize many of the local tropical fruits as possible, this can make for some sweet combinations. We do offer yogurt and granola option if one is looking for a more health conscious breakfast, sorry you were not made aware of this, I will see what we can do to better inform our guests of this option. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us.
Union City, California
Reviewed 28 November 2013

The resort is located on the Hilo side of Big Island and is full of tall trees, birds and ocean front rooms. Rooms were decent and very tropical in nature with cane/bamboo furniture and nice balcony for calm ocean views. The breakfast prepared by the staff in the morning was very nice and overall a great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the review, we hope to see you again in the future1
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 31 October 2013

we relied on recommendations for this B&B, including from the Frommer website that I rely on quite a bit. There was nobody around to greet us (just after 6PM); our keys were left in a box by the front door. It's a Victorian Inn and the tropical decor of the room was quite out of place. A bulky albeit comfortable bamboo canopy bed, a big bamboo TV cabinet with some drawers.
The lighting was so poor that it was impossible to read a book. We didn't expect a sink and countertop to be in the room. The shower was very large but the bathroom always felt damp; it made no difference if you turned on the fan or left the door open.
We can deal with most of that, however, add to that that during our 4 night stay the hostess never introduced herself and her husband was nice enough but not exactly very communicative.
There were no breakfast choices and was we were served I would not describe as healthy food that was presented in an overly attractive manner (even Denny's does it better). Pretty blah.
Most days it was Guava juice; one day OJ (and, yes, there was coffee). We had French toast twice. The first one with sour dough bread, the second one with some awful cotton like wheat bread of some sort. Each day there was some cut up papaya; too hard one day and just right the others and each time with a tasty enough muffin (but I'm willing to bet that they were not home made). The quiche we had one day was probably the tastiest meal. Another morning we had some kind of puff pancake with mushy looking caramalized apples on top that did not cover up the lack of taste of this strange thing. Each day some cut up sausage was served and it was mostly ok to good. The sheer amount of sugar each morning was kind of overwhelming. People who wrote that they had the best breakfast ever there? Leaves me speechless.
There was no access to a computer (didn't have out laptop with us).
You have to be prepared to drive 13 miles into Hilo (one way).
We turned off the air conditioning (which was too noisy and didn't really do a very good job) and opened up the patio door to listen to the surf. That would have been fantastic had it not been for those Cocqui (frogs). Too annoying for words. Loud and piercing.
This was not a cheap place by a long shot. $250/night plus 30 some dollars in taxes....? come on.
We are extremely well traveled and have been all over the world in many different kind of places and usually don't come with unusually high expectations. This one did not meet ours by a long shot..

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marion W
Kealaokapua, Owner at The Palms Cliff House Inn, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Your travel agent & I both thought our Inn would suit your needs perfectly. Sorry to hear we fell short. In this case I think had we worked with you and not a travel agent you would have looked at our website and been aware of our location, breakfast service, health conscious breakfast alternatives, late arrival check-in, and room decor. We take to heart all the comments on TA and will certainly look for room lighting above 100W for future guests in need. The Mango Dutch, with caramelized mangos, not apples, is one of our most requested main dishes and all our offerings are home made each morning. I am sorry you chose not to alert us that you were not happy during your four night stay, we would have remedied your concerns quickly.
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This is a wonderful B&B and after my stay there, I booked countless number of clients there (I was a travel agent with AAA until earlier this year) and every single client had a wonderful experience. Let me tell you about check-in for me which has some similarities to Mr. Sour Grapes Alberto E who enjoys bellyaching apparently. I went to only the Big Island with my best friend for his first trip to the Hawaiian Islands. Our first 2-nights were spent in Kona at a condo property. From there, we drove the southern route up to Honomu for our 3-night stay I had arranged with the friendly owners. We were running late due to making too many stops that day to sightsee, shop, eat, drink, etc. and as we drove north of Hilo, it was starting to get a little dark. I had directions, but we zoomed right on past the entrance. Eventually I figured we went too far and had to turn around. I think I went at least 15 miles too far. So, after doubling back, we stopped at a small shop and asked about finding the Palms Cliff House. As I figured, I sailed past the driveway and never saw their sign. It wasn't the most obvious coming from Hilo, but now approaching from a different direction, we saw it right away. We drove down the long and dark driveway and parked next one of the other guests' cars. The front door was locked. Uh oh. Now what? I think I may have panicked for about 30 seconds, and then I checked the mailbox and there was a thick envelope with our names with a welcome letter, keys, and plenty of information. (I believe they clearly explained what to do if checking-in late in their confirmation email, but I did not remember every detail on the spot when finding the front door locked and no staff around). So, we had everything we needed and made our way to our room, checked out the secluded Jacuzzi and had a look around the 24hour guest lounge which was very nice complete with menus of local restaurants, board games, comfortable seating, ice machine & buckets, stemware, honor bar snacks, massage chair, etc.
Very nice tropical style décor in the room, nice bath amenities and can't complain about the oceanfront view, even though the balcony was very small. No big deal.
Amazing breakfasts served on the porch each morning with a breathtaking view of the Pacific.
The owners could not have been nicer and were always helpful to all my clients. I booked a family of seven adults there once and because they were all adults, they arranged for a rollaway in one room so they did not have to pay for a 4th room. (I had them booked in two double rooms and one triple room and they had a very nice experience).
Certainly a romantic place and I highly recommend it. But make sure you carefully read EVERYTHING they send you. They are detail oriented and any difficulty with the late check in was more my fault for not being more thorough reading and comprehending their instructions in their emails.
Mahalo!

Room Tip: Rooms # 2, 3, 6 & 7 are considerably lower in price than the corner rooms which have in room Jac...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Thrilled you had a wonderful stay, hope to see you again someday!
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 12 September 2013

The reception desk closes at 5pm. On the day we were supposed to check-in we called the B&B several times between 6pm and 7pm but never managed to get in touch with anybody. We also left a vm at the emergency number. No call back either. We realized the structure was unreachable but couldn't get any instruction on how to check-in that evening. With no other option left, we started to look for another hotel in Hilo and eventually managed to find one and spend the night there. The day after we stopped at Palms Cliff, spoke with the receptionist and complained about not being called back or emailed with check-in instructions. She agreed on recognizing the B&B’s elusiveness and failure to re-contact us, but claimed she could do nothing in the owner’s absence. We emailed the owner, explained this was not a case of 'no show' and asked for a refund accordingly. They didn't even respond to our email. Totally unacceptable.

These people clearly don't care about customers, just about money. Very unprofessional.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
15 Thank Alberto E
Kealaokapua, Owner at The Palms Cliff House Inn, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
It is always fun to welcome guests from other countries, despite the language barriers that can exist. We are sorry you had difficulty understanding our late arrival self check in for guests arriving after 5:00pm; Since the message you left indicated you were on your way and you did not request a call back we still anticipated your arrival. I am uncertain how this made us "unreachable." Irregardless, cancellations made after 5 p.m. the day of arrival are charged for that day's reservation. This was explained in our follow up email. We certainly hope the rest of your stay in Hawaii was a wonderful experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honomu
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Chalet Kilauea
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to The Palms Cliff House Inn? Share your experiences!