“Our favourite”
Review of Dahana Ranch

Dahana Ranch
Ranked #5 of 49 things to do in Waimea
More attraction details
Owner description: A working cattle ranch that allows tourists to drive cattle.
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My husband and I did the 1.5 hour trail ride with our two kids aged 5 and 6. We had a wonderful time. It was unlike any other trail ride I have been on. The staff were awesome. I felt the kids were very safe and the horses were great. When I ask my kids what the best part of the trip they both say horse back riding! Thanks so much!

All reviews
"great guide"
"an awesome experience"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We took our son and two grandsons on the ride and about three minutes into the ride our oldest grandson developed an allergic reaction to the horses. The ride was stopped and our grandson and his grandma was escorted back to the stables where he was looked after. My son, grandson and I continued the ride which was absolutely awesome. Cammie our guide led my grandson's horse as he was only seven which made is safer for him and the horse for the first hour of the ride. As we progressed through the ride Cammie was watching our grandson very closely and once she was absolutely sure he could handle the horse she let him ride on his own for the last half hour of the ride. His smile when she let him ride on his own was as wide as the big island. The horses are well trained and are matched up to the riders level of ability. The one thing I liked was the riding side by side and not nose to tail - this allowed for an excellent way to interact with the riding group and all were able to hear Cammie as she explained things during the ride. Coming back to my first grandson who reacted to the horses - during the return to the barns he lost his cell phone. We all went and looked for it but were unable to find it. The next day we got a call from Cammie saying that she found it and we could pick it up at our convenience. We did so a couple of days later and when we picked it up Cammie had put the phone in rice to draw out any moisture as the phone had been out overnight. This made my oldest grandson ecstatic to have his phone back and in working order. Extra effort which was not required to service the client - unheard of today. We will be repeat customers and if you want an easy paced ride with excellent staff and horses I would strongly recommend Dahana Ranch.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

We ride horses and wanted to take our our children, 7 & 10 on their first ride out in the country. Dahana ranch provides a great opportunity to ride open range, not nose to tail, trot if you want with safe horse and great guides.

We've been to the Big Island several times. The countryside up here is gorgeous. Our day was dry and sunny, thank goodness(it can rain heavy). The guides teach you everything you need to know for this beginner ride. They are strict on safety and the rules. Follow them and you'll have a super experience. They also do not want the horse eating or following a specific trail, so they have you spread out a bit and learn a little bit of horsemanship.

I mapped out the location, check out the landmarks on Google Earth- just outside of Waimea. The horses are not barn sour and are very well trained. At first, one guide led our 7 year old daughter(they allow children over 3), who very much wanted to ride solo, out on a lead rope. My wife and I and our 10 year old rode along with another family.

The ride takes one over hills and valleys with the view of Mauna Kea and cows, and you feel like you're in a "Lonesome Dove" or "Broken Trail" movie. After a short trial, they let my youngest ride solo, and on certain strips, they allowed us all to trot if we wished. It thrilled our kids no end.

Highly recommended- and they have advanced rides if you want to cantor or cattle drive.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Our three year old and five year old loved this experience. They got to ride on their very own horse Sammy and Maui. The guide held them on leashes but they felt pretty proud that they got to ride it themselves. We went for an hour and a half ride which was perfect. We rode next to wild donkeys and cattle that live on the farm. The highlight was the horses picking up their speed and the kids loving it. We were the only ones

See more reviews
Reviewed 21 December 2013

My wife and I discovered Dahana Ranch sort of by accident and are glad we did. We rode with "Keo" as our guide and it was the highlight of our vacation. She's a delightful lady with exceptional people and teaching skills. They take better care of their horses than I do of myself. They horses were like driving cars. Tell them to turn right or left and they did it. I have little experience in the saddle and had a blast. If you visit the Big Island of Hawaii, you owe it to yourself to see Dahana Ranch. I don't know which was better the horses or the people.
Marty,