“Great ride on the ranch”
Review of Dahana Ranch

Dahana Ranch
Ranked #4 of 49 things to do in Waimea
More attraction details
Owner description: A working cattle ranch that allows tourists to drive cattle.
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We were looking for a horse back ride that was not your usual tail to head trail ride - this was it. Our guide constantly encouraged us to wander on our own, trot or cantor and enjoy the vast ranch. For two hours we traversed the ranch. Near the end he spotted cattle that were in the wrong field and we spent the final 20min herding about 30 cattle. Very fun for novice cowboys!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Thank you Dahana Ranch, particularly Cami, on a great ride for our family! We found this ranch on a tip from from friends, and it seems to be the only place on the Big Island where my kids could ride (ages 4 and 6). Not only did they each have their own horse which was led by the trip leader, but she even let my 6-year old direct his own horse for the last leg of the ride. The view are gorgeous, and the horses are very calm.

Both of my kids ranked horseback riding with Dahana as one of their favorites for the trip. Highly recommend checking it out!

2  Thank MD W
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The horses are well trained and gentle and the staff friendly. However, the 1 1/2 hour ranch ride is nothing more than walking -with 2 very brief opportunities to trot or canter- in straight lines along the boundaries of the property. The scenery is thus kind of monotonous considering the fabulous location. Expensive considering.

1  Thank Kirsten B
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I have about 20times experience of horse back riding in big island. But today's horse back riding was worst of my life.
Staff was surly, and unfriendly.
They haven't introduce theirself.
And they haven't give us safety briefing. It was not fun at all!
And also this ranch's location is not good. This area is so rainy.
It was sunny on the other ranch
on same day.
Totally, this ranch is no good.
I won't horse back riding this dahana ranch anymore.
I recommend to have horse back riding with other company.

4  Thank Itelltruth
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My husband and I did the 1.5 hour trail ride with our two kids aged 5 and 6. We had a wonderful time. It was unlike any other trail ride I have been on. The staff were awesome. I felt the kids were very safe and the horses were great. When I ask my kids what the best part of the trip they both say horse back riding! Thanks so much!