“Honest review”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waimea
Kamuela's Mauna Kea View Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 8 Waimea B&B and Inns
United States
Reviewed 20 January 2005

Owner/Host, Richard, is a friendly guy. The house does show its age. Because of the wet climate in Kamuela, there's a musky odor throughout the house. Housekeeping can also be improved. Little spiders (mostly of the Daddy Long Leg variety) can be found in many places like the bathroom, behind the small fireplace, etc. which should have been rid of by whomever Richard hires to clean the place. If I can see these spiders, I know Housekeeping/Richard can.

The Daily 'breakfast' is also a bit to be desired. What happens is, a muffin/loaf and a small dish of berries and cream (1 ea for every guest) is placed in the fridge the day before. Doesn't look too apealing.
Richard does try to take care of the place, but when he paints over the TV trim along with other furniture, it really smells of paint because of the humidity, it takes forever to dry.

If you're used to staying in hotels and if you want to try staying at this 'B&B' house, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed.

My recommendation, stay in a hotel.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 December 2004

This place was fine. It was hard to describe--a little weird. There were many nice aspects to this place. A beautiful lanai with a trickling waterfall was nice to eat breakfast on and watch the sun glint off the observatories on top of the mountain. The host was very nice and accomodating. He did the dishes, made the beds and brought quite good breakfasts each day. The biggest complaint is that the very nice host, Richard, likes to rise early and play with a dog that barks loudly and shuffles across the floor early in the morning. Overall the place was clean, reasonably comfortable and a great price.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lahaina, Maui
Reviewed 7 December 2004

I am opening a Cafe in Kamuela and have stayed in several motels and small Inns. Mauna Kea View is a view Inn wih Parker Ranch right outside your door and huge Mauna Kea. It is very quiet and clean.
My cottage had hardwood floors and open beam ceiling, even a bay window. Many thoughtful touches. I will stay again next time.Lars

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Monticello, New York
Reviewed 1 November 2004

We just spent 3 weeks at Mauna Kea View while building our new home here. Very comfortable with many extra ammenities to feel at home.
Their location is among the most beautiful in Kamuela (believe me, we spent many tips looking ourselves). Wonderful views of Mauna Kea and
huge Parker Ranch. Richard, the owner, is a retired manager from Parker Ranch and was helpful on advice. A very quiet & units quite private.
I will recommend this property to my visiting friends and relatives

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kihei, Hawaii
Reviewed 30 July 2004

Stayed at Mauna Kea View during a recent reunion In Kamuela and was very happy I choose this B & B. It was large enough to have my family have dinner with us there. The view was great and very quiet. Lots of extra nice things like pineapple fountain on our private deck. Only place I've stayed with its own fireplace in the living room. The owners were very nice and we had the privacy I was after. Best of luck for many more years !

Sean

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 August 2003

Very disappointed in the B&B. Arrived at about 7 PM and seemed to be nice and what we wanted. Then we sat on the beds. The beds are mattresses placed on wooden and cement foundations. One foundation under a window is literaly a brick wall. Needless to say they were very uncomfortable. The next day the toilet wouldn't flush. Everyone had to go to the nearest gas station to use the bathroom. The owner called a plumber, and got a clean bill of health. That night the toilet worked OK, but the next morning was another repeat. I took a shower and heard the toilet "gurgle" as air came up through the bowl. After that the toilet wouldn't flush again. At that point, my family and I packed up and told the owner we would not be back.

7  Thank Shane B
Management response:Responded 20 April 2004

In regards to the Berg family review. We have had over 4,000 Guests from 49 States and 38 Countries. There are over 1,400 Guest Book pages praising our wonderful views, most ammenities at Kamuela's best rates and our friendly hospitality. We have not had such problems since our opening in 1988. I released the Berg's from any obligation to stay with us at no charge. Their children stopped up our pumbing 2 days in a row. I paid for a plumber 2 days in a row. I did not give Mr. Berg the graphic details the plumber told me. Our beds are Simmons Beauty Rest which have always been popular. Our policy is to make people happy with our property and we have continued to do that since the years since I noticed this review. Thank you for the oportunity to explain this situation.