“Better than Expected”

Castle Waimea Country Lodge
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Waimea
Reviewed 7 February 2012

My friend from the mainland made a reservation as nothing else was available at short notice due to the 19th Annual Cherry Blossom Festival being the following day. After my friend told me about the Waimea Country Lodge I checked the reviews on Trip Advisor. I was shocked - I thought we were in for a noisy, dirty, mouldy and spooky room! Nice surprise - we were upstairs in #117 which was a clean, comfortable room with 2 queen beds and a large bathroom with a tub. Our window looked out over the grassy playground at the back and we were able to open the window to air out the room. TV worked great. A basic "last minute" accomodation that we thought quite good value for an expensive property value community like Waimea, and in a prime location close to shops and restaurants..

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room on the second floor.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank 4Venetia

Reviewed 28 January 2012

The one good thing that I can say is that our room was huge. Even with 2 king size beds, it was extremely roomly. We paid $119.00 for one night after visiting Mauna Kea and should have kept driving. It took forever to get hot water. There was mold in the bathroom. Portions of the wood veneer on the bathroom door were missing. The low water pressure made it difficult to flush the toilet. The sheets appeared to be clean, but were rough. The room needed painting. The only wireless service was inside the office or just outside the office.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank crawley20
Reviewed 25 August 2011

the exterior looks like a cheap motel, but the interior is worse. The carpets are worn, dirty and smelly. the sheets looked like they might already have been used, and the blankets were full of holes and stains. the whole room had an air of neglect and disrepair. Luckily the windows opened to let in the fresh island air, and the bathroom was clean.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Monique R
Reviewed 20 August 2011

My husband and I stayed here after our trip to the Mauna Kea Summit to watch the sunset and to attend the star gazing program at the visitor center. We found this lodge from expedia and it was the cheapest and the closest among all other choices and we paid $120 with tax for the one night. We checked in late at night and when we got there I didn't have a good feeling about the place already because it looked kind of creepy. There were only a few cars in the parking lot and that showed me the lodge was pretty much vacant. The lodge looked like a cheap motel and I couldn't believe they called themselves a "resort". Our room was dirty, the carpet was filthy, there was no air conditioner but a fan, and the window couldn't be opened. There were only two lamps in the room so the whole room was dark. I had to remove the lamp shade to make the room brighter. Everything in our room was old and dated. I didn't have a good feeling about the room when we first entered but it was late at night and the room was pre-paid online to expedia so we didn't have a choice to leave. I couldn't wait to check out the next morning to leave the place. So we went to sleep right away after shower, we were both tired after a long evening of driving the Saddle Road from the Mauna Kea Summit. The next morning when we woke up, my husband told me that "something" was tugging the comfortable by his feet all night long. I didn't feel anything because I was so tired and I was a heavy sleeper. That really creeped me out when my husband told me what happened and I knew something was wrong when we first entered the room.
So the bottom line is this is a terrible motel so don't stay here, drive farther away to somewhere else like Waikoloa or you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank avocadoagogo
Reviewed 13 August 2011

The writeup on their website was very misleading. This "Country Lodge" is at the corner of a busy intersection. The room was shabby, the desk chair seat had collapsed, and it was dirty. There was an extra charge for internet. I couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank Rose D
Reviewed 30 April 2011

I should have kept driving. My room was filthy, the paint was filthy and the carped was stained. There was low water pressure and it took forever to get hot water. Many of the rooms appeared to be occupited by construction company employees and they did plenty of partying. The free wireless internet did not reach my room.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
7  Thank pcvn
Reviewed 19 March 2011

This 'motel' has great potential; however, it needs an overhaul! It is quiet and relatively clean but with screens not fitting; doors peeling, etc it was WAY over priced! There are fridges in the rooms and breakfast was coffee at the front office. Since we stayed 3 nites; I wish that Waimea had other 'reasonable' options. And the internet really didn't work so it was off to Starbucks!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Canuktourist
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waimea
Arnott's Lodge
Honoka'a Club
#1 of 1 in Honokaa
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to Castle Waimea Country Lodge? Share your experiences!