“EXTREMELY dated motel. Clean beds & bathroom”

Castle Waimea Country Lodge
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Waimea
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Castle Resorts should be ashamed they haven't taken cared of this place!!! When I walked into the room I had an immediate flashback of traveling as a kid with my family in the seventies. Everything is very old and outdated. The first room we were given was horrible. It stank of cigarettes, the lamp was broken (lightbulb socket hanging off the base!) and there was a small HOLE in the wall!! I suspect the cigarette smell came from the old carpet, drapes, mattresses and everything else that's old in that room. I asked for another room and the cigarette smell wasn't as strong in this one so was slightly better. The beds and bathroom were VERY clean and shampoo/conditioner and soap are provided, but the single upholstered chair in the room was so filthy it looked like something that was picked up from the dump. Waimea is usually very cool so there isn't any a/c which is fine, but the fan was also very filthy and we were afraid to turn it on. At least the window opened so we got fresh air. We live on the island so got the local discount rate, but if we had to pay full price we would have been sooooooo upset! The first floor rooms are not worth more than $55-$60 a night if even that. I heard the second floor rooms are better but those come with what's labeled as a kitchenette (small fridge and sink in a closet) so cost more. If you're on a budget or want a cheap one-night place to stay I guess this place will do.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room though you may have to pay more.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HawaiiTraveler717

Reviewed 19 July 2014

You get what you pay for here. At less than half the average hotel rate in Waimea, this hotel is a good option for people traveling on a budget. If that is your expectation, then you'll be happy. If you think you're going to be at a nice resort, you will be very disappointed.

I read the reviews and knew what we were getting into--this hotel is very dated and kind of falling apart (the veneer on our bathroom door was peeling, we had old stains on the floors, the sheets were getting worn). Old and tired as the room was, it was spotlessly clean. I'd rather have an old, clean room than a fancy, dirty one! And the staff is wonderful. They were full of very helpful advice about things to do and places to eat. I really enjoyed my "talk story" time with them every day.

Should you stay here? Depends on what you're looking for. We ended our 2 week vacation with 3 nights in Waimea. We chose to spend less on the hotel room so that we could go to nice restaurants and do some diving. It was nice to be able to walk to restaurants after 11 days of having to drive everywhere! Waimea is a very cute town, and this hotel puts you right in the center of it. It's a 20 minute drive to Hapuna beach, so if you want to tumble out the door to the beach, this is not the place.

The other guests seemed to mostly be Big Island business travelers and younger (20-something) people. But it was quiet and friendly. Under the same set of circumstances, we'd stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I paid $94.00 (108.88 with taxes) for a weekday night with a AAA discount. The hotel proudly provides internet for an additional $9.95 per night. Due to a maintenance issue, our room was upgraded to a kitchenette, which makes that price a little bit more bearable, but only slightly. I have stayed in a lot of motels and unfortunately this one is on par with some of the most decrepit I have come across in the US. The motel has promise. It has high vaulted wood ceilings and nice views out the back window. But it feels like it has been neglected for many years. The staff was friendly, our linens were clean, we were provided with real glasses (rather than disposable), and the kitchen appliances appeared to be new. But… our bed was ancient (sagging in the middle), the sheets were too short, which meant my feet touched mattress (something I hate), and we were provided with just one dim light to read by. There was no overhead light or light on either side of the bed. Considering it rained during the duration of our time in Waimea, it would have been nice to be able to see in our hotel room. The curtains were disintegrating and so was the bathroom floor. There were crushed spiders on the bathroom window ledge and things that past guests had forgotten under the bed. We were provided with a plug in fan that did not work. Luckily, the room had good cross ventilation but it would have been nice to have the fan in the middle of the night when semi trucks rolled past the hotel, which is situated at a major intersection in Waimea. A fan would also have helped distribute the pervasive thick smell that I would describe as stale air freshener, which was overpowering whenever the wind stopped blowing fresh air through our room. I understand that there are not many places to stay in Waimea; this might help explain how this hotel is able to charge close to $100 per night. I was disappointed, particularly considering that this is a hotel that is not an independent establishment but part of an international company. I think that Castle Resorts & Hotels should be ashamed that they have let this hotel slide into its current state.

Room Tip: Stay close to the office if you can. That's a bit further away from the highway. Make sure you g...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brookecrowley
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The reviews of this place are pretty horrible, so we only picked it because there were no other options less than $200/night. But we were pleasantly surprised.

You need to set your expectations appropriately: this is an old hotel that hasn't been renovated recently. So the carpets and linoleum are worn, and there are a few small stains on the carpet that have accumulated over the years. The mirrors also have small specks on them where the silver backing has come off.

But the basics are there. The rooms are large, the linens are clean, and the beds are comfortable. All of the plumbing and lights worked just fine and the shower was nice and hot.

If you get an upstairs room, with the high peaked wood ceiling, it's actually pretty nice.

The desk staff was very polite and helpful.

Downsides: (1) WiFi is $10/night - so we just used our cell phones. (2) No A/C, but the room has a small portable fan. We set it up in the window to pull in cool air from outside, which worked great. (3) Walls are a bit thin, so if you had noisy neighbors, it might be a problem, as others have commented. We could tell that there were people next door but it didn't bother us.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have beautiful high wood ceilings and nice views of the mountain.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill M
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I was reluctant to stay here after reading the reviews. However, it is in such a convenient location for my needs that I gave it a try. The nicest thing I can say is that "It is not the worst place I've ever stayed." The employees in the office were nice, especially the woman on duty late in the evening. But the rooms are not very clean. My room had a very odd odor like a room freshener had been over sprayed to hide bad smells. I had a very large room with two king beds and a full kitchen. My first surprise was that there was no closet, not even a rack to hang clothes on. The beds have old bedspreads and I took the spread off the bed I intended to use and pulled back the covers. The sheets were old, thin and stained. On top of that there was a long black hair in the bed. I decided to sleep in the other bed. The bed was not very comfortable and I could hear the neighbor's TV until very late. The room had a full kitchen with four burner stove, full size oven, microwave, refrigerator, toaster, but NO coffee maker. Coffee is in the lobby starting at 7:00 AM. The stove was covered in grease. It had not been cleaned for a very long time. The bathroom was old and in need of a update and a deep cleaning. This is an old motel badly in need of an update and desperately in need of new housecleaning procedures.

Room Tip: To get a nice clean room I suggest you stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We entered our room and were overwhelmed by the smell of mold. Looking around the room there was dirt or mold on the walls, the curtains were stained, moldy, falling off the rails. The shower was pitted and moldy. We should not have stayed. We have been scratching ever since.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank CanadianAirliner
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Booked a room with a kitchenette, but the only appliance was a mini refrigerator so that was a bit
disappointing. The room itself was very large and that was a big plus, the room was clean, and it was nice to park the car right outside our room. It's very reasonably priced to stay here and it's pretty close to quite a few eating places and also a few stores.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank olollyberry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waimea
Arnott's Lodge
Honoka'a Club
#1 of 1 in Honokaa
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to Castle Waimea Country Lodge? Share your experiences!