“Great local food and friendly local people.”

Hawaiian Style Cafe
Ranked #1 of 71 Restaurants in Waimea
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

Was referred to visit this local cafe by our Hilton Resorts salesman who said his neighbor owed the place and it was great food and a good value. We read reviews on here and hey were spot on. There were 5 of us, we were prepared to wait, and we did for about 20 minutes. It was a nice day and the smells were intoxicating. It was friendly service and though filled with more locals than tourists, and we definitely looked like tourists, everyone was soo nice. The service was great, prices were great for the amount of food and quality of food received, and hands down the biggest pancakes I have ever seen. My daughter and I got the two egg breakfast with hashbrowns and I opted to get pineapple sausage while my vegetarian daughter stayed meat free. The meal came with toast or pancakes. We looked at each other and since we read the reviews, wanted to see if they were as bug and delicious as stated. Our friendly waitress even asked if we wanted 1 or 2. Thank god we each only got 1. They were amazing and indeed, not only bigger than your head, but bigger than the plate. It was hands down the most delicious pancake and breakfast I can remember enjoying EVER! This is a DON'T MISS and worth the wait experience. Until we meet again! The banana Mac Nut pancakes, child's French toast, and loco moco were also enjoyed by the rest of our party. The food was so delicious, we all are and just smiled and chewed. Little bits of yummy noises and head shaking approval followed by reminiscing about the joys of that meal for days after. Yum!!!

1  Thank Baibella

Reviewed 28 July 2013

This cafe was so good that we ate here twice during our stay on Hawaii on the west side of the island. The portions are enormous and you will need a to go container. Pancakes were the size of plates. The moco loco is very good and the eggs and spam were well made without having the eggs overcooked. You may have to sign in because it is so popular. We had to sign in one time and the other we hit it just right so that we got seats right away. It is in a tiny shopping strip and you may have to park across the street. But, it is well worth the drive for some authentic Hawaiian food.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Ok, this place is really good, and reasonably priced. I had the macadamia nut pancakes with 2 eggs over easy and crispy bacon. It was fantastic. I could only eat half of the two stack pancakes. The person sitting next to me had some rice, meat and gravy dish he was enjoying. I got up really early in Kona and made the 45 minute drive to Waimea to arrive early. The location is difficult to find. It is in a small strip center with no sign. I called them 3 times to try to make my way there. That was a little frustrating. Then, when I finally found the place and walked in, I took a seat a the almost empty counter. A waitress came over and started fussing with me because I didn't sign in on the waiting list. So I got up, embarrassed, and went over to a clipboard and signed my name. Then I was allowed to sit down. Weird, gave me kind of a bad vibe like "look at the dumb tourist". I understand the concept, just wish they would have made it more known. This place is TINY. If you go, PLEASE SIGN IN!

Reviewed 19 July 2013

It was the cheapest meal we had on the Big Island but in many ways as good or better than the more expensive restaurants. I rate it as 4 rather than 5 stars because I felt that the food was basic and good but not extraordinarily good or creative. You should give this place a try. Don't expect too much and you will leave content after chowing down a humongous pancake and paying less than $7 for it.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

This small, cash-only diner is open for breakfast and lunch only. The food is plentiful, inexpensive and flavorful with a local Hawaiian spin. The macadamia nut pancakes are unbelievably large and very tasty. The plate lunches are very good as well. Service was friendly and efficient. The place has character.