“Very nice property one HUGE glitch and would go back”

Mauna Lani Terrace Condominiums
Kirkland, WA
“Very nice property one HUGE glitch and would go back”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This is a review of D302. We usually spend a week or two on Kauai at a high-end condo complex. This year we waited too long to book a two bedroom so decided to go to the Big Island and revisit some of our favorite places in all of Hawaii. We were very very happy with this condo. 3br/2.5ba and a huge space. The furniture in the pictures on VRBO are not to scale...the furniture is all oversized so the space actually looks smaller in the pictures. Everything was comfortable, over stuffed and clean (more on "clean" later). This is not a dated condo and the owners have clearly spent time adding a ton of homey touches. Everything imaginable is stocked including all the incidentals in the kitchen. This condo is on the market for $1.7MM so you get the idea it's a nice space. The patio is also huge and broken in 3 sections. The view of the sunsets are unobscured and the perfect angle. Covered parking saved a lot of steamy rides in the car and gate access to the unit was close and easy. We used the pass to the beach club 3 times. We always found beach chairs, shade (if needed) and plenty of room no matter when we arrived. The seating at the restaurant for lunch was tough until about 1:30 but the food was good, service fast and you can go in your wet suit until they flip to dinner service at 5:00. Back to the unit....no bugs, everything worked except for the "huge glitch" mentioned above and to which I attached some pictures.

We arrived at our unit around 6:00 PM Sunday on check-in. Our unit had been abandoned in mid-cleaning. Buckets, brooms, towels, sheets were all left where they'd been dropped. Master bed unmade, guest bed not stripped, no towels in bathrooms (all in a pile on a chair). Dishwasher full, leftovers still in fridge...etc. We called the onsite manager who got back to us quickly and gave us the contact at Kohala Coast Properties (who we rented from). The got back to us and told us the cleaning person lived a long way away and they couldn't do anything that night....so we made the beds and emptied dishwasher. Now this is where it gets weird. The cleaning person works at a nearby restaurant, she was planning on finishing-up after her shift since she wasn't told someone was checking-in. Clearly Kohala never tried to call her because she let herself back into the condo after we were asleep and started cleaning again...while we were asleep!! The cleaning person called us the next day, apologized profusely and stopped by that day to give us fruit and avocados from her garden. Kohala offered to give us a free day of maid-service but that didn't make any sense since we didn't have or need service during our stay and we never heard from Kohala again.

All in all the stay was great. The unit was soo comfortable and well furnished w/ nice appointments. Beach towels to pots and pans...we wanted for nothing (besides a clean condo our first night!!!). We'd stay here again but would explore a 2bdrm unit a little closer to the beach.

Room Tip: D302 is at the back of the horseshoe and you may want to try and get to the ends for closer beach pr...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DadofAnni

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We booked this through our travel agent because we wanted a place where we could cook with our teens and not spend the earth. We found ourselves in a large condo with two bedrooms and 3 baths. Our teens split the king/twin bed and happily shared a room with "separate" bathrooms for privacy. The master suite was great with double sinks. The kitchen was well outfitted and a deck with a private area off the master suite became my favorite place to read and watch the ocean (a little ways out, but still close enough for the breeze. The best thing was being on probably the best snorkel "private" beach on the island. Having lived in Australia, we enjoyed boogie boarding the warm waves at nearby Hapuna beach--though they weren't big, they were supposedly the best on the island and within 4 miles. 30 minutes from Kona proper, we enjoyed the local "shops at Mauna Lani" and checked out the nearby Kings and Queens shops while still having our own peace and quiet. If you play golf, it would be heaven with a lovely course out the door. Finally, the new Inouye highway got us to Hilo in 1:45 for a day explore. This might not be the very best place for small children, but there were people around with small children and the kids had lots to do at the nearby beach with rentals and activities available. We're all thumbs up on this one and would stay here again in a minute.

Room Tip: We didn't use fitness center or kids activities here. The noise here was minimal. Higher floor...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank aussiedocgirl
United States
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This is a review of Mauni Lani Terrace and specifically unit K301.

The area: On the Kohala Coast, this site is located just south of the Mauna Lani resort. The resort is keypad protected and right on the beach. There are three nicely protected lagoons for use here. The pool area has a hot tub and several barbecue grills. The upper level units have and ocean views and great, cooling ocean breezes. There is an upscale shopping area 5 minutes away that has a small, gourmet-type grocery, coffee shops and several restaurants. The Waikoloa shopping area is a 15 minute drive south, also with a grocery, gas, restaurants and specialty item stores.

The condo: The units are circa 1980. We found our unit to have dated cabinets and appliances as well as dated bathroom details. Somewhat mismatched and dated glassware and utensils. Everything was in working order. Bath and dish towels somewhat old. Minimalism Japanese design was comfortable. Comfortable master bedroom and bed with flat screen TV and ample closet and drawer space. Large sliding glass door with attached lanai with two reclining lounge chairs. We wished the bedroom had a ceiling fan. The master bathroom has a tub, shower, two separate vanities and closeted toilet. The great room has a sofa bed, chaise chair and 4-top glass table. Flat screen tv and CD player available. The lanai has a four-top table and chairs (and a beautiful gecko). Large screen doors from great room to lanai. There is a smaller bathroom off the great room with a shower, sink and toilet. The kitchen is adequate. One very large cockroach sighting, but the units were sprayed for bugs later in the week. Large fridge with ice maker and all appliances in working condition, except no toaster present. New washer and dryer (bring your own laundry supplies). There are beach chairs, umbrellas and coolers for use in the utility room.

Overall, we were very pleased and would stay here again! Be aware that there are several short flights of stairs to negotiate to get to the room. The unit is most comfortable for a couple or small family with young children. It would be crowded for four adults, I believe. We booked this resort through South Kohala management after finding it on VRBO and was pleased with their service. See attached photos for other details: sorry, I should have snapped the pics before we had spread our stuff about ;).

Room Tip: Upper level units get better view and sea breeze.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SunriseAddicted
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed at the Mauna lani Terrace for our honeymoon in August 2013. We booked through South Kohala Management - - no problems there, communication was easy and fast. We booked a Deluxe renovated unit... it was nice, brand new kitchen, beautiful lanai, nice bathrooms. I was very pleased with the condo as it looked just like the pictures they had sent me.

We unpacked and I had gone to lay down after an early dinner and a long day of travel. Suddenly, I was woken up by my husband screaming like a little girl because he walked into the kitchen to find a HUGE rat on the kitchen counter. (Ok, maybe "little girl" is harsh... he screamed manly screams.) The rat was digging at a paper bag (there was no food on the counter). The thing disappeared through the space between the cabinets and the fridge. Gross!

We called management, but the office was closed. They answering service picked up and someone called us back within 5 minutes. South Kohala's response was that they would send some rat traps over in the morning. We slept that night with our bedroom door closed because we didn't want our new little rat friend (who I had by now named "Marshmallow") to visit our bedroom. The next morning, they management folks came to drop off some rat traps to put in the kitchen. However, we were on our honeymoon and my husband didn't want to spend our time bleaching and cleaning everything in the kitchen before using it. So we asked to be swapped to a new condo. Thankfully, South Kohala had another smaller Deluxe unit available, and we spent the afternoon moving to a new condo. Not the worst thing, stuff happens and I was just glad that they had space available to move us.

However, I am deducting 2 stars because I later looked online and the unit they moved us to was less expensive than our original unit, and no one at South Kohala offered to pay us the difference at the time we swapped condos. I had to go request it (they told me no, but then later called me back and said they would refund the difference). I should not have to re-price out the condo just get a refund for the advertised difference.

That being said, it did not spoil our vacation. The resort property and beach is beautiful!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sara210
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Please be aware that the Terrace is an older complex that looks and feels its age. We selected a "Deluxe" unit with an ocean view. Deluxe means that the kitchen and bathroom were updated at some point in time. The unit itself and the furnishings reminded us of a college dormitory. Inexpensive and barely functional. When we arrived we noticed a strong unpleasant odor in the unit. We immediately returned to the office and told the young woman working there that the unit was not acceptable. She informed us that she would call her manager and get back to us as soon as possible. After several hours of waiting in a cafe we returned to the office where we were informed that she was not able to reach her manager and that there was nothing she could do. It was Thanksgiving day so we were willing to cut her a little slack and moved into the unit.

Long story short, we left all of the windows and doors open for 2 days and 2 nights and still were blasted with a strong unpleasant odor every time we entered the unit. We never heard from anyone from South Kohala Management. Deciding that our vacation was being negatively impacted by this depressing unit, we checked out and moved over to the Point. I informed the manager at the Terrace that I expected to receive some sort of credit for the time not spent in the unit. I have never received any communication of any kind from anyone associated with this complex.

Please do yourself a favor and immediately go to the Mauna Lani Point webpage. This is a beautiful, professionally run complex and one of the nicest places we have ever stayed. The employees at Classic Resorts are kind, efficient and will go out of their way to make sure you have a wonderful stay. We stayed in a large, beautifully decorated 2 bedroom ocean view condo at the Point for less money per night than we were paying for the 1 bedroom dorm room at the Terrace. And it included daily maid service and shuttle service.

The only positive thing I can think of to say about the Terrace is that it probably makes sense for families with young children to stay there due to its easy access to the pool and hotel.

Room Tip: There may be some nicer units at this complex. Be very careful in your selection.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David B
SouthKohala, Manager at Mauna Lani Terrace Condominiums, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Aloha David,
We received your compliant about a musty smell on the day of your arrival, Thanksgiving Day. Due to the fact that it was a holiday and we were fully booked we did not have an alternative room for you to stay that night. Our front desk staff's understanding was that you would stay the night and let us know how it was the next day. We did not hear from you and assumed that there was no longer an issue. I regret that we did not reach out the next day to check in with you. The unit that you stayed in underwent a renovation this past summer and has brand new living and dining room furniture and new stone flooring throughout. We have hosted many guests in this property prior to your arrival and have never received a complaint about a smell. Being that the Terrace is the most oceanfront property in the resort, it does have a unique smell of the saltwater, sand, and natural ponds in the area that may not be suitable for everybody. We would have liked the opportunity to relocate you to a property at a different location but overall we are happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Mauna Lani Resort. Thank you.
Virginia
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stayed at the Mauna Lani Hotel a few years ago and LOVE this area. We knew that when we returned we wanted a little more room to spread out, so we went with the Terrace right next door to the hotel (we really wanted the beach to be walking distance).

We were in Unit C302. The unit is a little dated and I would have preferred to not have carpet, but the unit was basically clean and well cared for. Lots of room for a family of 4 and we really enjoyed eating on the lanai. We did have a few issues that the South Kohala Mgmt addressed pretty quickly (AC, lights out), but overall I found them to not be very friendly. When we checked in we were given a list of all the things we are not supposed to do and how much we would be charge if we lost any of the keys - just very off putting. In addition, the exterior of our unit was being painted and the painters were noisy, we had to move our car several time to accommodate the painters. I understand that maintenance has to be done, but really just hate that it had to be during my vacation. Oh and the pool was closed for 2 days during our stay so they could replace the pump. Again - who really wants to be in the pool when you have the beautiful pacific ocean, but occasionally the kids did want a break from the pool. When I asked if there was another pool we could use, we were told in a rather curt manor "the ocean". It would have been nice if other accommodations for a pool had been made for guest.

You cannot beat the location - right on the beach close to both the hotel and the beach club. The Shops at the Mauna Lani is walking distance and there is a great market there as well as lots of shops for beach rentals, swim suits and some decent restaurants. We love the Kohala Coast!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank girlfromVA
SKMrep, Manager at Mauna Lani Terrace Condominiums, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Hi girlfromVA and thank you for your review. I am sorry about the convergence of those two maintenance issues while you were here on your vacation. As you mentioned the pool's pump had broken and sometimes these unforeseeable interruptions can come up. Our staff did their best to inform all of our guests that it might be a good time to plan a beach day or to go sightseeing. I apologize that we did not come off as friendly as we had intended. I also totally understand the "off-putting" reaction to the check-in procedures. We know that when guests arrive they are eager to start decompressing but we have a duty to inform you of the policies so that everything is up-front and clear. I am pleased that overall you liked the property and felt that it was well cared for. I hope that we will have the opportunity to host you and your family again in the future. Mahalo.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I happened to be browsing through my favorite condo complex and was shocked to see several negative reviews of the Mauna Lani Terrace as well as the vacation rental company South Kohala Management.

I have been staying annually at the Mauna Lani Terrace since 2007 and consider it my absolute favorite place to stay in Hawaii. Unit J103 has been my sanctuary the last few years when I come to the Big Island. It's a short walk from the incredible coastline, which is never even remotely crowded like spots on Maui and Oahu, and near everything at the Mauna Lani resort. The unit is spacious, has open patios and is great for having company, and drinks, under the outrageously clear night skies.

South Kohala Management is perhaps the most reputable and oldest vacation rental company on the island. Their staff (shout out to Teri and Ruby) are among the nicest and most helpful people I have ever met, and I know plenty others who feel the same way. The girls at the nearby office are on-hand every day if you have any questions or need any assistance. My point is, SKM has made me a customer for life, and I highly recommend booking with them if you want first class service and an excellent unit.

When you stay at the Terrace, don't forget about the pool/spa area available to you. I barely realized it was even there the first time as I was so busy getting tan at the beach, but its a great place to unwind after a busy day. Also the fish and shark pond on the opposite side of the hotel, it's an amazing spot for pictures. Sunset here is the most beautiful in the world, second to nowhere.

Room Tip: Ask for WD-40 from the South Kohala girls if you're having trouble using the key to your unit...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Matthew G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waimea
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Hilton Waikoloa Village

Been to Mauna Lani Terrace Condominiums? Share your experiences!