“Enjoyed our week-long stay at the Palm Villas”

Palm Villas at Mauna Lani
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed at unit F-23 for 7 nights, booked through vrbo. This is a 2 bed, 2 bath, with a spacious loft with two twin beds. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law joined us mid-week, and this unit housed all six of us comfortably.

This unit was very clean upon checkin, and it was nicely decorated with granite kitchen, the place closely resembled the pictures on vrbo.

It has central AC, which was much needed, and used whenever we were in the unit. It also had wifi. Our lanai had a view to the lava field. We enjoyed eating some of our meals on the lanai.

The pool is nice and pretty, a bit small, but it was never crowded there. A few times, we had it all to ourselves.

Our unit came with one garaged parking stall, but there were plenty of parking spaces inside the complex.

It was about a 10-15 minute walk to the beach. The walking trail is across a lava field, and then through a lovely fish pond. We actually enjoyed this walk very much, and preferred it over driving to the beach.

The is an open air mall called the Shops inside the Mauna Lani resort, only about a couple minutes drive from our unit. There are several restaurants at the Shops, coffee shop, and Foodland supermarket.

The Mauna Lani resort is very big, and has several nice sandy beaches, including a black sand beach. Some of these beaches offered excellent snorkeling, and calm waters for stand up paddle boarding. We also liked that they have chairs on the beaches, with plenty of shades for all Mauna Lani guests.

We enjoyed our stay at the Palm Villas.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank HappyTraveler852

Reviewed 22 March 2014

The Palm Villas are cozy and somewhat modern. My unit on the second floor had an awesome view of the historical park next door, and the pool area out the back windows. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a single car garage with my rental. My unit also had granite throughout and was upgraded nicely making me feel like I never left home. Location is great, near the Foodland and other shops in Mauna Lani. Downside, and there's always a downside when traveling, was the check-in was conducted upstairs in the mid section of the King Shops maybe 5+ miles away. Upon check-in I asked the proper questions but the lady working there gave generic unwritten directions and seemed to struggle with how to properly give verbal directions. Note, when they give you a code for the garage the keypad is located on the side board of the entry of each garage door. Something I had to search for until someone walking by pointed it out and said they had the same issue when checking in, something not mentioned at check-in. Of course I arrived at the unit and the wireless Internet was unidentifiable. I called the office and after they looked up the unit, the lady gave me a WPA number which was the modem number but not the name of the wireless signal. When I asked what the wireless signal name is (and there were maybe 20+ in range) I could hear crickets...she was clueless. I then had to go through each signal individually before giving up because I did not have a password, just a WPA number for a modem that was not working as a password. I carry a CAT-5 cable as a back up and then plugged into the modem in an awkward location upstairs with no desk my cable could reach. After about 15 minutes I was able to get my computer to accept the modem. I honestly can't imagine someone with a basic knowledge of computers to make that happen...hence you might not have Internet unless you hold their feet to the fire and make them give you solid answers and information at check-in. Enough said. I liked the unit, but after dealing with the clueless check-in lady and the plug-in Internet on an end table (no wireless or desk in range of my CAT-5 cable), and then seeing lightbulbs inside the lamps hanging down in disrepair, busted mini blinds and slider blinds, and then closer inspection of the furniture revealed termite tunnels throughout the livingroom entertainment center. I tried to open the cabinet door on the entertainment center and it just fell off revealing more serious termite damage. The TV in the living room was a picture tube 1990's style, not a flat screen in HD. Workers were also outside my front door banging around and drilling on the wood columns. WTH?? ---- TIP #1: When checking out make sure you allow plenty of time to go back to the King's Shops 5+ miles away and return the keys. The front doors on most units are set up where you can't lock them unless you're outside the unit with the keys. They do not have self locking doorknobs so that means if you want to leave the keys and run to the airport 20 miles south you need to rethink that plan unless you want to leave your unit unlocked for anyone to go inside after you leave. Plan ahead so you're not running late for a flight because you need to go back to King Shops. On check-in, the check-in lady said I could leave the keys (I asked) but that is impossible without leaving the unit unlocked. On the morning I was checking out I called them to inform them I will leave the keys and the door unlocked and a different lady said to bring the keys back to the office that I could not leave them. This place was not easy to deal with, not comfortable, not accommodating. I felt like a number and not a person. ----- TIP #2: The last gas station for your car rental before the airport is at the King Shops...20 miles North of the airport so you almost need to go down into the King's Shop area anyway. I will not return. I hope my review helps, or at least helps prepare you for check-in.

Room Tip: Call ahead and play nice. The view of the Historical Park and Fishponds was really nice. Upstairs un...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank California_Wine
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Part of the Outrigger:Kohala Coast Collection, this complex is located near "The Shops" of Mauna Lani and while not on the beach offers access to a private beach club which you can walk or drive to. The condo we had was F22 and it was very well appointed and overall well maintained. The Shops provides convenient, if expensive, access to restaurants and a small grocery. There is also a well kept and good sized pool here - even has a waterfall.
Other Pluses...
+ the condo is large and roomy with nice and comfortable furnishings. Ours had a King in one room, a queen in another and a trundle bed in the loft for 2 more people. With 2 baths this worked out great for 3 adults and 2 teens.
+ the beach club is great. An excellent little cove with a surf shack to rent pretty much anything you can think of (we did sea kayaks) but also there is a restaurant and good shade for when you need to get out of the sun. The walk here is nice through the historic fish ponds and lava tube paths...or you can drive over if you are pressed for time or just want to spend your energy in the surf instead of walking. Not a great surfing beach...but we are novices and we did not see much for us on all the Big Island.
+ lovely porch and you can open the house up and get great breezes. On New Years Eve we even were able to have great views of fireworks at one of the hotels (Hilton I think).
+ the pool is very nice. While we were there temps were mild and the pool water was cool. There is a Hot Tub however and it was very pleasant.
Negatives (all pretty mild in my opinion)..,
- the master bath has no door to separate the shower area from the master bed room. While very European, this is annoying when someone wants to shower early while another wants to sleep. This item is actually what lost a five star for this place. Really annoying to either shower in the dark or wake your spouse.
- not the greatest layout for some items. The fridge door knocks of anything left on the half wall next to it and sends such items tumbling down the stairs. The washer and dryer are great but the machine is not well placed in the opening so the soap drawer is hard to open and the dryer door barely clears the opening.
- the living room tv is terrible. Grainy picture and terrible sound. Nobody travels to Hawaii for watching TV but for the bit we did watch it would be nice to have something more functional.

Overall, I recommend this place highly if you looking for a great full feature place at a good price. Staying at the beach would be great but at the great price these condos go for this is an excellent alternative.

Room Tip: The condos facing west will be able to see fireworks at the hotels. A nice bonus on New Years Eve an...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank lsdjr
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed in H-23 with one other couple. Beautiful accommodations and grounds. The Ellisons are incredible stewards of their three properties and are very easy to work with. Loved the pool and hot tub area, as well as the proximity to the beach.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda G
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Stayed in this 3 bedroom unit this september.

The location is spectacular and the unit itself was extremely well appointed.

from nice furniture to comfortable beds it is a perfect place to relax.

and remember when you stay at mauna lani resort you get access to the private beach club which is worth every penny.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank JFEARN
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I did a lot, and I mean A LOT, of research before deciding on Palm Villas at Mauna Lani. Having stayed on Kona twice before, once at Four Seasons for a work event and another time down south at Kona Coast condos at the end of Alii, I knew what I did and did not want.

When we stayed at Kona Coast I quickly learned that I loved Alii Drive and the ambiance, shops, farmers market and dining options down south. We did not love the beach options. We would pack up and drive north to Kohala to find boogie boarding or snorkeling beaches every day. We were lucky enough to happen upon the private beach club at Mauna Lani and I promised myself the next visit to Kona I'd be able to swim there daily - and that's what we did.

VRBO provided many options for Mauna Lani condos with beach club access, reduced golf fees and use of amenities, however, we decided upon Palm Villas primarily due to the amazing owner communication and location to the beach club.

Location - The gated Palm Villas is close to the Shops @ Mauna Lani, dining, grocery store and alike. The spa is right across the street and it is a 20 minute walk (bring water) or 5 minute drive to the beach club where covered cabanas for two, nice lounge chairs and a nightly groomed beach await.

Pool | Hot Tub - There is also a private pool and hot tub for the guests of Palm Villas which is almost always empty or has one or two other people. My three teens played in it nightly (closes at 8 for kids and 9 for adults). It is surrounded by lush gardens and blends in nicely to the hawaiian landscaping.

Our Unit - We chose a top floor unit with a loft and outside bbq | lanai. We had a peak-a-boo view of the water but great sunsets from the lanai and were able to save money eating breakfast in and using the grill at night. I'll review the condo itself on the owner's VRBO site. Wonderful unit. Highly recommend H-23. He owns 3 units together and was very attentive and great at getting back to you with any questions or concerns.

Grocery - If you go to Foodland at The Shops be sure to give them your phone number (mainland number is fine) to sign up for their lower prices. All they need is your phone number and you're good to go.

Noise - Although there was some construction going on when we visited (7/11-18) it was quiet and respectful. I believe they will be done soon as they were roofing the unit when we left.

We did eat at Napua at the Beach Club and it was our best meal on island. And you can't go wrong with a bar right on the beach with you. They even have ice water and plastic cups readily available if you come up from the beach and need a quick drink of water. Other Kohala dining options proved disappointing so we headed down to Alii for more of an authentic hawaiian feel - less "resorty."

Snorkeling - Great snorkeling off the beach with lots of coral and fish to be seen. A turtle swam in every day, which was a treat. We rented stand-up paddle boards for the teens and they had a blast. You can dicker with the rental guys for reduced fees on hourly rentals so don't take the prices on the board. Showers are there, as is a lifeguard. They do come around daily to ask where you are staying to track visitors but are quick and efficient. Truly and amazing beach and all I cared about when booking this trip was ensuring full access to it for lazy days in the sun.

If your goal is to lounge on the best beach on island, with very little people, groomed beach, covered lounge chairs, a restaurant and bar on site and a rental shop right there (stand up paddleboards, kayaks, etc) then Palm Villas is perfect. Truly amazing luxury and NOT luxury prices.

Mahalo, Palm Villas, for an amazing trip.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank ttshutterbug
Reviewed 10 May 2013

There are very few reviews of this place so hopefully my input helps someone. The complex is very small, as previously noted, so this may be why. This also means it is very quiet. We saw one neighbor in our whole 2 week stay.

We didn't use the pool or fitness room, so I can't comment on that, but the Beach Club is somewhere we spent almost every day of our trip. One of the best snorkeling sites on the island and Napua is a nice restaurant to boot.

The lanais all seem to be equipped with a wet bar and grill which was SO convenient for evening meals. The units vary in decoration but we loved the one we had - it was stocked with all conveniences and then some.

THere is some construction going on during the weekdays in the adjacent buildings but honestly It never bothered us.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alohamakena
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waimea
1 mi away
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Halii Kai Resort at Waikoloa Beach

Been to Palm Villas at Mauna Lani? Share your experiences!