“Best part of the vacation”

A Beautiful Day, Nani La 'Ao
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Best part of the vacation”
Reviewed 22 October 2010

Went to Hawaii to write a book, and have been spending the past several months travelling from one hostel to the next. I am calling it my "working vacation." So far, the best part has been my visit to "A Beautiful Day. " It is the only place I was able to truly find peace and be able to connect with nature. I love the outdoors, and I appreciate being in a place that shows respect for the environment. I have been to many stuffy, overly social hostels, but I needed a place where I could hear myself think, and reconnect with the earth. Truly a place of healing, very sacred. On an earlier visit I treated myself to a massage, and it was the best I ever had. Right now I am finishing up, and spending time camping on the beach. But I wanted to express my sincere joy for having stayed at such a unique location, a place I will never forget! You can check out the website at abeautifuldayhawaii.com and ask about the "working vacation" packages!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
hilo
Reviewed 21 October 2010

It has taken my partner and I nearly a year to move from Kona to Hilo, and it's still so noisey there. We decided to treat ourselves to "A Beautiful Day Hawaii" and booked tandem spa treatments as well as an overnight stay. It was extraordinary, so beautiful, with huge trees and orchids, free range bunnies, and MUCH more. So enchanting. We loved the spa treatments, I got a facial with a massage and then soaked in the hydrotherapy tub with papaya mango sea salts. I can truly appreciate the amount of love and care that goes into taking care of a place like this. It was a remarkable stay, very inspiring. We will be back often for more spa treatments...20 minutes from Hilo is such a short drive for this kind of a treat, and such a respite.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 14 October 2010

We stayed in the tree house, which is just that, a tree house in a lady's backyard. You sleep outdoors, with millions of frogs yelling in your ears all night, and with the non-stop rain keeping you forever damp. The owner let us use the stove and refrigerator in her garage, which was nice of her. There was also a lovely washroom, but it was a good walk away, so you don't want to drink any water before you go to bed! The shower is outdoors. There are mosquitos EVERYWHERE, ALWAYS. The road to get there is unpaved, so you risk damage to your rental car. You NEED a rental car, because this hostel is in the middle of nowhere. It's about a 20 minute drive to get to any food. I guess you get what you pay for, but I feel like I could have gotten a decent bed in a hostel in the city for the same price, rather than be wet, dirty, and sleep deprived the whole time. It's an adventure, so if you love the outdoors, go for it. The tree house was pretty nice and very clean.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank goonybones
Southern Vermont
Reviewed 8 January 2010

I spent almost two months at A Beautiful Day, some in the tree house and some in the main house. I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and would recommend it to other independent, alternative type travelers who are looking for a genuinely interesting visit to the less touristy east side of the Big Island. Life would have been a lot simpler if I had rented a car, as the location is well off the beaten path up in Orchidland. It is about a four mile round trip trek to the nearest shop. However, I was on a budget and trying to get in better shape, so I bought a used bike in Hilo instead. I love riding into nearby Pahoa, having lunch, then hanging out at the gorgeous (and free!) municipal pool. Combined with the also free Hele-on bus system, I have been able to get around just fine.

Sherri, the owner, is an artist, a massage therapist, and a real character whom I now consider a friend. She loves animals and there are chickens, bunnies, a goat and a donkey on the premises. She gives a great lomi lomi massage!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
Sun Valley, California
Reviewed 14 June 2007

We found the peace and tranquility we truly needed. The busy hotels were just too crazy, and this place was peaceful and serene. We stayed for two weeks, booked the rejuvenation packages, and looked (and felt) completely different when we left! We would highly recommend "A Beautiful Day/Nani La 'Ao" for anyone wanting to make a positive change in their life. It was easy to go back to work again...

• Liked — View of Mauna Kea from the porch, being surrounded by the native Ohia forest, friendly critters and staff
  • Disliked — Having to go home...
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
pasadena
Reviewed 2 April 2007

I wanted to let you know about a place I stayed on the Big Island of Hawaii. It was called "A Beautiful Day" and had been recommended to me by one of my co-workers who stayed there several months ago. We got spa treatments and were very impressed with the professionalism and beauty of this place. We would recommend it to anyone wanting a unique spa experience in a secluded location. Very peaceful and magical.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Keaau
Chalet Kilauea
Volcano House
Volcano House
#1 of 1 in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel

Been to A Beautiful Day, Nani La 'Ao? Share your experiences!