“Peace and Beautiful Setting”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Keaau
Kia'i Kai Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 8 Keaau B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 November 2008

Although it has been 2 years since our Hawaiian vacation, I am currently working on a scrapbook of the trip and re-reading my journal. My husband and I really enjoyed our 3 night stay at this B&B. It rained most of the time and so we spent the mornings lingering over the wonderful breakfasts and chatting with the other guests, as well as John and Tory. We felt very much at home here, and the location is just beautiful. This place may not appeal to those who require luxurious accommodations, but we were very comfortable here.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 May 2008

I'd stayed near Puna on my last trip to the Big Island so wanted to base myself here again for proximity to Volcano National Park. I had read all the reviews and still felt this was where I wanted to stay and for me, it was great.

Tory and her husband were away during my visit but the caretakers, a local couple, were friendly, accommodating and lots of fun to talk to---full of local knowledge, stories and advice. This part of the island really is on the coconut telegraph, believe me! I met one couple at the local beach and they said, "Oh, you must be the one staying down to Tory's place!"

Yes, the inn is right on the ocean so yes, mildew is a way of life. I carry Febreze with me when I travel so that was a no brainer. I also carry water, at least two bottles, so I didn't die of thirst, either ;-) Yes, it is not a five star Sonoma style inn, but that's not what I wanted. For me, it was perfect---a place to unwind and imagine what Hawaii used to be like.

The setting is a stunner---right on a low black lava pali with the Pacific almost in arm's reach. My first afternoon, I was summoned by the folks staying at the rental home next door to see a school of honu feeding just under the cliff!!! Turns out the turtles are there every afternoon. What a treat.

The inn is in a rural setting, yes. Out of the way, yes. Minimal, yes (no tv here, though i sat up in the lounge one evening and read and listened to music). But if you would like that, it is a great choice. I spent my time viewing the lava at night nearby (at the end of HWY 130, it's open for this) and hiking in Volcano National Park. I ate in Pahoa town both nights and had no problem finding an internet cafe to check in online. It's about a 20 minute drive, to be accurate, but it was on my way.

The lap pool was a welcome addition and I used it every day. Sunrises over the Pacific (I am used to Pacific sunsets) were spectacular. And my first night, I got back from dinner and wandered onto the deck to sit and just talk to the full moon (well, not really, but you get the idea). I sat out there for about three hours, just listening to the waves and enjoying the stillness. And for me, that was just the ticket.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed my stay at K'ia i K'ai very much.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank Kittygal
Reviewed 10 April 2008

This B&B is perfect for people who want to have lots of natural beauty and do not care about hospitality. What you have here is a very straightforward, basic room on a gorgeous piece of land. We didn't use the pool but the hot tub was fantastic at night under the stars. The surroundings are the reason to stay at Kia i Kai. The hospitality is minimal. I agree with the other review on this site about the room not smelling good (like mildew, including the towels) and the host being good at directions but not overly hospitable (she actually did not even introduce herself to us when we met.) Make sure you get to breakfast within a half hour of her serving time or you'll get the bottom of the coffeepot and not be offered an entree---she runs a very tight ship. Water is provided by a cistern, so it cannot be drunk from the tap. Instead, drinking water is provided in the room so you can brush your teeth, etc. but ours ran out the second day and was never replenished after we asked for more. No toiletries in the bathroom, so bring your own shampoo, etc. Soaps provided are strange--apparently made onsite and they do not smell very strong or lather very well. This is definitely not a "mint on your pillow" type place and surprisingly few special touches for a B&B. We found the inn easily in the dark with the excellent directions that were provided via email with our reservation confirmation. But it is quite remote, so you can't "run into town for a few things." We had a late arrival and the host warned us to eat dinner before we got to Keeau since nothing nearby (even in Hilo) is open late. There is a microwave and fridge (unstocked) in the room for snacking if you want to bring groceries. Basically, it's like camping but with a better bed. We got the feeling that perhaps the host is tired of running the place--everything seemed pretty impersonal and rote, and she seemed scattered and overworked, though there is at least one employee--who is super friendly and terrific-- on the premises. We never saw the other owner during our stay.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank Kisuna
Reviewed 16 February 2008

We enjoyed 3 nights at this ocean side B&B. The surf pounding was awesome to see and hear. The breakfasts were good with something different to try every day. The room was comfortable with daily maid service not usually found in B&Bs. The hosts were very knowledgable about things to do and see. Unfortunately the hot tub was not working but the pool was neat being able to see the ocean pounding a short distance away. Sunrises are great to see on the ocean.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 54jojo
Reviewed 2 February 2007

My husband and I went from a cozy, in-home bed and breakfast on Kauai to this bed and breakfast, and were disappointed to the point of considered leaving. It took us almost an hour to find the property from Hilo because it was on an unmarked dirt road. (The name of the road had been spray-painted on an electric pole.) It took us half an hour to get anywhere to eat or see anything! The inkeeper was helpful in finding places to eat and visit (though not overly hospitable), but the selling point was the view with the waves crashing into the rocks and splashing over the cliff. Absolutely amazing!

Besides locale, our room was also lacking. We were on our honeymoon, so we splurged on the cottage but found it rather uncomfortable as it smelled like mold and the bed was rock hard. We are big nature lovers and from the boonies of Arkansas (very easy to please), but were still disappointed by the accomodations. Overall, it was okay, but I think you could probably find better on the big island.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank MissouriWolfs
Reviewed 25 January 2007

Ditto all of the nice comments from the previous reviews. This was a very comfortable place to stay (we were in the oceanfront suite for 2 nights). Beautiful ocean views, sunrise, hot tub, lap pool, lava cliffs. Tory was a great host. Everything was clean and in good shape. This was a good place to stay to explore the Puna area, Hilo, and the volcano. We will definitely return!

1  Thank m&pMinneapolis
Reviewed 23 May 2006

We had a wonderful stay at Kia'i Kai. My wife and I were looking for pure relaxation for the start of our honeymoon, and that is exactly what we found. Our innkeepers were on vacation themselves (I guess even wen you live in paradise, you still need to get away every now and then!), but their daughter stepped in and we can't imagine being treated any better. Breakfasts were delicious, and the coffee was the best I've ever tasted. We stayed in the Holomoku Suite, which offered exceptional views of the sunrise in the morning, and the sounds of the ocean at night.

The location is great, a good central location within a 30 min drive of Volcano National Park, Hilo to the north, and the tidepools and hot springs of Puna to the south. We wish that we never had to leave!!!

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank fjg22

Been to Kia'i Kai Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!