“Kia'i Kai B&B - Romantic beach front accommodation”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Keaau
Kia'i Kai Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 8 Keaau B&B and Inns
Matosinhos, Portugal
“Kia'i Kai B&B - Romantic beach front accommodation”
Reviewed 8 April 2009

Just perfect for couples or everyone who dreamed about a place on the shore line. The room where we stayed was few meters from the waves that burst on the cliffs. Carrie, the owner was extremely friendly and caring to us. The jacuzzy and the swimming pool, make it a postcard to the pictures. If you have start sleeping problems with noise, don't stay there, the ocean really roars during the night. If not, this is a hiden gem within the Big Island, around 40min away Hilo. Carrie, congratulations for your place. We recommend it for sure.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Families
Business
Bristol, Connecticut
Reviewed 9 November 2008

Although it has been 2 years since our Hawaiian vacation, I am currently working on a scrapbook of the trip and re-reading my journal. My husband and I really enjoyed our 3 night stay at this B&B. It rained most of the time and so we spent the mornings lingering over the wonderful breakfasts and chatting with the other guests, as well as John and Tory. We felt very much at home here, and the location is just beautiful. This place may not appeal to those who require luxurious accommodations, but we were very comfortable here.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — remote
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 May 2008

I'd stayed near Puna on my last trip to the Big Island so wanted to base myself here again for proximity to Volcano National Park. I had read all the reviews and still felt this was where I wanted to stay and for me, it was great.

Tory and her husband were away during my visit but the caretakers, a local couple, were friendly, accommodating and lots of fun to talk to---full of local knowledge, stories and advice. This part of the island really is on the coconut telegraph, believe me! I met one couple at the local beach and they said, "Oh, you must be the one staying down to Tory's place!"

Yes, the inn is right on the ocean so yes, mildew is a way of life. I carry Febreze with me when I travel so that was a no brainer. I also carry water, at least two bottles, so I didn't die of thirst, either ;-) Yes, it is not a five star Sonoma style inn, but that's not what I wanted. For me, it was perfect---a place to unwind and imagine what Hawaii used to be like.

The setting is a stunner---right on a low black lava pali with the Pacific almost in arm's reach. My first afternoon, I was summoned by the folks staying at the rental home next door to see a school of honu feeding just under the cliff!!! Turns out the turtles are there every afternoon. What a treat.

The inn is in a rural setting, yes. Out of the way, yes. Minimal, yes (no tv here, though i sat up in the lounge one evening and read and listened to music). But if you would like that, it is a great choice. I spent my time viewing the lava at night nearby (at the end of HWY 130, it's open for this) and hiking in Volcano National Park. I ate in Pahoa town both nights and had no problem finding an internet cafe to check in online. It's about a 20 minute drive, to be accurate, but it was on my way.

The lap pool was a welcome addition and I used it every day. Sunrises over the Pacific (I am used to Pacific sunsets) were spectacular. And my first night, I got back from dinner and wandered onto the deck to sit and just talk to the full moon (well, not really, but you get the idea). I sat out there for about three hours, just listening to the waves and enjoying the stillness. And for me, that was just the ticket.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed my stay at K'ia i K'ai very much.

• Liked — The location, the views, the serenity
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank Kittygal
USA
Reviewed 10 April 2008

This B&B is perfect for people who want to have lots of natural beauty and do not care about hospitality. What you have here is a very straightforward, basic room on a gorgeous piece of land. We didn't use the pool but the hot tub was fantastic at night under the stars. The surroundings are the reason to stay at Kia i Kai. The hospitality is minimal. I agree with the other review on this site about the room not smelling good (like mildew, including the towels) and the host being good at directions but not overly hospitable (she actually did not even introduce herself to us when we met.) Make sure you get to breakfast within a half hour of her serving time or you'll get the bottom of the coffeepot and not be offered an entree---she runs a very tight ship. Water is provided by a cistern, so it cannot be drunk from the tap. Instead, drinking water is provided in the room so you can brush your teeth, etc. but ours ran out the second day and was never replenished after we asked for more. No toiletries in the bathroom, so bring your own shampoo, etc. Soaps provided are strange--apparently made onsite and they do not smell very strong or lather very well. This is definitely not a "mint on your pillow" type place and surprisingly few special touches for a B&B. We found the inn easily in the dark with the excellent directions that were provided via email with our reservation confirmation. But it is quite remote, so you can't "run into town for a few things." We had a late arrival and the host warned us to eat dinner before we got to Keeau since nothing nearby (even in Hilo) is open late. There is a microwave and fridge (unstocked) in the room for snacking if you want to bring groceries. Basically, it's like camping but with a better bed. We got the feeling that perhaps the host is tired of running the place--everything seemed pretty impersonal and rote, and she seemed scattered and overworked, though there is at least one employee--who is super friendly and terrific-- on the premises. We never saw the other owner during our stay.

• Liked — The hot tub and oceanfront view
  • Disliked — The room itself--mildew and no potable water. No acknowledgement of our honeymoon, impersonal treatment.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank Kisuna
Lillooet, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2008

We enjoyed 3 nights at this ocean side B&B. The surf pounding was awesome to see and hear. The breakfasts were good with something different to try every day. The room was comfortable with daily maid service not usually found in B&Bs. The hosts were very knowledgable about things to do and see. Unfortunately the hot tub was not working but the pool was neat being able to see the ocean pounding a short distance away. Sunrises are great to see on the ocean.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 54jojo
Missouri
Reviewed 2 February 2007

My husband and I went from a cozy, in-home bed and breakfast on Kauai to this bed and breakfast, and were disappointed to the point of considered leaving. It took us almost an hour to find the property from Hilo because it was on an unmarked dirt road. (The name of the road had been spray-painted on an electric pole.) It took us half an hour to get anywhere to eat or see anything! The inkeeper was helpful in finding places to eat and visit (though not overly hospitable), but the selling point was the view with the waves crashing into the rocks and splashing over the cliff. Absolutely amazing!

Besides locale, our room was also lacking. We were on our honeymoon, so we splurged on the cottage but found it rather uncomfortable as it smelled like mold and the bed was rock hard. We are big nature lovers and from the boonies of Arkansas (very easy to please), but were still disappointed by the accomodations. Overall, it was okay, but I think you could probably find better on the big island.

• Liked — The ocean view
  • Disliked — The mold smell in the cottage
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank MissouriWolfs
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 25 January 2007

Ditto all of the nice comments from the previous reviews. This was a very comfortable place to stay (we were in the oceanfront suite for 2 nights). Beautiful ocean views, sunrise, hot tub, lap pool, lava cliffs. Tory was a great host. Everything was clean and in good shape. This was a good place to stay to explore the Puna area, Hilo, and the volcano. We will definitely return!

• Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank m&pMinneapolis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keaau
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Dolphin Bay
#2 of 8 in Hilo
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Ala Kai Bed & Breakfast

Been to Kia'i Kai Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!