“Great place”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Went for breakfast just prior to flying out of Kona. We had a lovely meal at this local institution, if you are on the Big Island it is definitely worth a visit just because it has been there so long and is unchanged loved it.

There are newer reviews for Teshima's

Reviewed 20 March 2014

It's a meeting place for locals to dine. Ladies meeting for lunch... As for the food, it was not the best Japanese food I've ever had. It was ok. The tempura, I found heavy. The sukiyaki felt as it been sitting around too long. I'm accustomed for it to come piping hot in front of me.
Portions are large. Service was spotty but friendly. $35 for two for lunch + tax and tip. Not a problem, but here in kailua, I've eaten for much less and had better meals.
I normally love this kind of place but I didn't feel particularly welcomed. I cannot in good heart recommend it to passing tourists like myself. There are many other good choices for good food in kailua.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Its a local divey looking kind of place, but its exactly the kind of place I like. Feels like its been there forever and that they know what they are doing. Not a fancy place at a all, but the food is hot and tasty and there is way too much of it. We had the trio combo and I was sad I got too full to eat all of it.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

They have been serving food at Teshima's since 1929 so states the sign in the restaurant and is a fifth generation of family members in the business. The food is bits and pieces of Japanese foods and tastes. The #2 was the best option for me and it was tasty, quite filling and certainly an ample portion. My wife had a beef and tempura combo that did not have a number except it cost more and came with all the sides and bits, that included miso, pickled cukes, pickled cabbage, tea, etc. The service was good but not over the top. This is a local neighborhood family business.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Had soba noodle special and combo #3. Both were very good. Excellent tempura and sukiyaki. Service quick and prices reasonable.