“Always Nice to be Surprised”
Review of Teshima's

Ranked #6 of 37 Restaurants in Kealakekua
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I had passed Teshimas several times in my week long visit along the Kona coast as I tried different recommended places to eat. Finally I slipped in on a rainy night to give it a go. It has simple decor with lots of photos of the multiple generations that have been a part of this restaurant. Prompt service with edaname set down immediately to my delight. Wonderful choices on the menu, I picked shrimp tempura and beef teriyaki combo. The green tea with roasted rice was a treat. Miso soup had a nice flavor, pickled cucumbers were fresh along with some cabbage. The tempura was tempura with a nice dipping sauce but then I sampled the teriyaki.. It was just right. From the tea to the miso to the cucumbers to the teriyaki, my taste buds moved in delectable waves. Throw in friendly family style service and I could easily say that it was the tastiest dinner I had on the Kona coast all week.

1  Thank ScottS_MN

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Teshima's Restaurant a regular stop for local Japanese meals. Fresh sashimi delicious Teishoku plates or you can have American meals. This time we tried their Pork Tofu. Also what we consider one of the Best Potato Mac Salads local style.
Yes we will be back for a meal again

Reviewed 18 May 2014

After reading all the positive and great reviews we expected the food to be at least good. We are foodies so we might have higher expectation of good and great food, we can only give it 2 stars…. Very friendly environment but the entire island is very friendly, would not go back for the food, it's little better than fast food, stuck in the time zone. Best dish was the butterfish, it's cooked well but this fish is one of the easiest to cook well can't go very wrong. Raman was terrible overcooked noodle, tasteless soup base, and it has spam in it ? Beef curry has no taste beef or curry and we got 5 little pieces of meat for the whole meal. Tempura was ok you can get this quality of tempura in any good fast food in Cal or N.Y. For those who have not had the opportunity to taste great Japanese home cooling type food this might be ok for them, but not for anyone who's tasted truly great or good Japanese food this won't do, far from ok.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Stopped because late but not sorry. Had picked family members up from airport and did not feel like stopping in Kona. We stopped as was after 8 p.m. and needed dinner. Was surprised for sure. Looked like a dive but the food was great and our waiter was very pleasant. Had the catch of the day sandwich with mac salad. Was very good. Others had a special platter which was awesome and a nice size. Had only 1 dessert but no drinks. Was shocked at how CHEAP it was .... 4 and only $60. And the staff was great even to people who ask for silverware instead of chop sticks!!! Lol

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Meh, pretty average. Typical diner. You won't be wowed, but you will say 'good enough, let's hit the road and see what we can find tomorrow'