“THE best Snorkeling/Cultural Sailing, EVER. (and I've done alot)”

Eka Canoe Adventures
Ranked #4 of 9 things to do in Keauhou
More attraction details
Owner description: Eka Canoe Adventures is the most unique way to experience Hawaiian waters along the Kona Coastline. Onboard a recreated historically accurate Hawaiian double-hulled sailing canoe, your experienced crew shares generations of knowledge in an old Hawaiian way, “story telling”. Guests are invited to paddle, sail or just kick back and enjoy their journey through History.
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“THE best Snorkeling/Cultural Sailing, EVER. (and I've done alot)”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Aloha & Mele Kalikimaka Everyone. After months of browsing I finally found the TA for this Sailing. I first noticed the Va'a Kinikini at Cooks Monument while with a different tour. I swam over and spoke to Kalani who gave me the "411" about his boat. We sailed the Kinikini several days later and thoroughly enjoyed it. The boat is designed like a traditional Hawaiian Sailing canoe (plus the state-required outboard motor) minus a Commode so be aware of that. Our guides were actual Hawaiians and far more informative with Hawaiian customs, traditions, history, etc., than any other sailing I have been on in Hawai'i (and I've done tours on Oahu, Maui & Big Island, some more than once. Lunch was provided along with drinks. Our Capt. wasn't Kalani but his replacement was a wealth of information and entertaining (antics and with a ukulele and Tahitian Toere). All sailing adventures I have taken in Hawai'i were great and I would do them again, however, if you truly wants a Hawaiian Cultural Experience with your sailing adventure I highly recommend sailing with the Kinikini out of Keauhou Bay; book thru the Sheraton Keauhou. I will be back next month on my next visit. Kalani, if you read this : 'Ianuali, Au 'ahu ka Malo, hahaaha.

Visited June 2013

Hailey, Idaho
“Brewaii”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We have traveled far...to amazing places...so it was with great expectations that we boarded Kalani's double hulled canoe. We had seen it from afar sailing on the ocean and we were amazed that we could actually board such a beautiful craft. But that was just the beginning. From the minute we boarded, Kalani wanted us to understand the beauty and culture of the Hawaiian people. He must be an amazing teacher to his students because we all felt we came away with a much greater understanding and appreciation for this beautiful place. He took us snorkeling in a what can only be described as a living rainbow. We could have stayed hours and hours. We had a lovely lunch and talked more about how Hawaii became a state...or is it really as Kalani would ask. And then we sailed back and we are all better people for this sail and for meeting Kalani. And wicked props to first mate Chase, brah... Be careful that we don't use our missed airline ticket for another ride...

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Life changing Manta Ray Snorkel”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

The Manta Ray snorkel was sooo spectacular. There were so many rays! At one time we had 5 or 6 swimming with us. So majestic and peaceful. Going on an adventure with Kalani, the captain and Fletcher his assistant was such a treat. Kalani has so much knowledge about his Hawaiian culture and Fletcher is an expert on Manta Rays, you cannot make a better team for such an excursion. They make it so easy, its really effortless, and any novice can do this!

Visited December 2013
“Beyond Amazing Experience by an Amazing Outfit!”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My father and I went out just tonight and had an amazing and memorable Manta Ray Snorkel. Wow! So many, so close, so perfect!! Thank you to owner Kalani and crew Fletcher & Chase...top notch all the way!

Edmonton, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Up Close and Personal with Mantas”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

On November 25th my wife and I went on an unforgettable tour with Eka. The trip was out -of-this-world and extremely personal. First off, you get to go into Keauhou Bay on a replica double-hulled oceanic canoe, while all the other tourists are out on ludicrous playground-type boats that are very crowded. We were the only people who booked a trip that night, but the crew still gave us the full treatment and made us feel special and important. Our guide Fletch, nicknamed the manta whisperer, really knows his stuff. My sweetie and I have some background in biology and so I asked some unusual questions about manta biology and Fletch was highly knowledgeable of these magnificent creatures. Because the mantas are relatives of sharks, they have the same electromagnetic sensors that can detect disturbance of the water column, so Fletch has developed this way of minimizing any splashing the snorkelers might make by the use of a pool noodle on the snorkeler's ankles. So while all the other crowded tours had people splashing around, we were motionless on the surface like water striders and we had several gigantic manta rays swoop just inches under our illuminated boogie board! I'm talking about massive freaking mantas directly below our bodies! One grazed us, although we tried to stay above them! And Captain Kalani did an excellent job at making us feel appreciated and connected to the ocean and the people. It was a truly stellar experience!

Visited November 2013