See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed 5 days at the eco hostel in one of the hales just a short walk from the commons. My accommodations were outstanding I had a great bed to sleep in and got to listen to the majestic sounds of nature at night. During my stay I went on the lava tour, lower puna massive tour, crater and jaggar museum tour, and the Waipio valley tour. On the lower puna massive tour I visited many beautiful black sand beaches, snorkeled in crystal clear blue water tide pools, feel the incredible heat of the lava tubes, and saw the remnants of ancient trees at lava tree state park. On my crater and jaggar museum tour I hiked around the park seeing the magnificent views of the volcano and then visited the museum learning the Hawaiian history of the volcano. Then we waited until sunset to watched the glow of the crater. On the Waipio valley tour we took about a 45 minute car ride to get an awe inspiring overview of the whole valley. We then hiked down a steep road and pass a few homes till we reached a path that led into the jungle. On our journey into the wild we encountered over grown paths, deep stream crossing, slippery rocks, and some time to pick a few delicious mountain apples. After about a mile in we came to a clearing to see a breathtaking view of one of the tallest waterfalls in the world. We stayed for about an hour to swim in the freezing waters of the falls and have lunch. After lunch we hiked about 2 miles to the opposite side of the valley to a marvelous black sand beach to relax before our harsh trex back up the steep road. On the lava tour we hiked out over the lava fields until reaching our destination at the coast to witness lava pouring into the ocean. We then gave an offering to the goddess pele and in return she gave us an awesome show of her power. When nightfall came we left the warmth of the lava and hiked back in the darkness to the van. At the end of each day to relax we would all gather in the commons and watch movies and throw back a few beers just enjoying each others company. What I loved about each tour is that they were done in small groups and they were physically demanding. So I always felt like I was just hanging out with friends having a good time, and since some places were hard to get there weren't large groups of tourist around. On every tour I went on each tour guide I had was very knowledgeable and was able to answer any questions I had. I believe that each tour that I went on was well worth the money that I spent, but its more about the experiences you gain instead of worry about the money you spend. Overall I would have to say that my time at eco hostel Hawaii was legendary and I can't wait to go back.

Date of stay: August 2013
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

Would recommend a visit to the eco hostel. Friendly people working towards a good cause and living a desirable lifestyle. Set in dense bush this was a great change in pace for me. I stayed in the cabins and absaloutely loved it! Peace, quiet and a king bed as soft as a cloud surrounded by nothing but bush (bugs not a problem). A unique and enjoyable stay.

Date of stay: October 2013
Reviewed 15 October 2013

New to the big island I chose eco-hostel Hawaii as my destination because, they are off grid and so is my home in Florida. Everything about the farm centers around sustainability. They also do recycling, composting and offer a large discount for interns, wanting to learn and share their knowledge and experience. If you should stay longer than a week, your weekend could be loaded with tours, advise of where to go and perhaps even be paired with Kenny, Derrick or Ryan, all are well versed about the big island!

Room tip: Be specific what u want in the way of accommodations, they have tents for work/discount cheap for the budget and as a visitor a little more, but nicer accomodations and lastly, expect quiet, peaceful and a jungle without mosquitoes for the most part. A real Hawaii journey.
Date of stay: October 2013
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 13 August 2013

You might imagine being the first ever guest anywhere could be...awkward. Well not the case for Eco Hostel Hawaii! As their first official guest, I had the pleasure of staying in new accommodations, going on their tours and talking shop about the future of the hostel with the team throughout my stay. Since I love all things eco-tourism, it was a treat to be taken to the hidden coves of the Big Island, while talking about tours and plans for their future guests. I felt a part of their family, even though my stay was only for a few days. I would highly recommend this hostel for people wanting an immersion in nature. It was especially good for 20 something females traveling sola (as was the case with me). I had instant buddies who knew how to crack jokes, and who cared about the environment around them. I recommend not only staying there, but taking advantage of all their tours. They rocked me to new heights of hiking, island culture and sightseeing. Also... they will listen to all the Ja-waiian music you want.

Date of stay: May 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2013

i have had a wonderful time here, and seeing a bit of the area. i stayed in a tent under a canopy, a bit away from the communal area. derek, one of the owners, truly goes above and beyond for guests. as it was my first trip to big island (which is quite distinct from other islands), i was originally unsure if i would spend 4 nights here, but after the first day, i knew i wanted to. everyone here is quite friendly, and we've had some interesting discussions. i have also learned more about sustainable living which has been something of interest to me! mahalo!

Date of stay: August 2013