“home away from home”
Review of Eco Retreat Hawaii

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kurtistown
Eco Retreat Hawaii
Crystal Lake, Illinois
“home away from home”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Eco hostel hawaii felt like a home away from home. A friend and I stayed for two weeks and absolutely dreaded the day we had to leave. Not only is the place incredible, but the people are what make it worth the stay. Everyone is so inviting and passionate about what they do that it rubs off on you in the best of ways! Hopefully we will be able to visit again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I was only intending to stay at Eco Hostel Hawaii for five days and ended up staying for three weeks! I can't even begin to explain how much I took away from the time I spent with the wonderful people I met in Hawaiian acres. This place is everything I could have hoped for and I never could have predicted making such amazing friends! I was staying as a guest but after a few days of seeing the volunteers help out in the morning I decided to lend a hand with the work-trade program. It was a great opportunity to get hands on experience learning about permaculture and sustainability from really knowledgable people! I miss them all dearly and can't wait to go back and see all the progress they've been making! I think everyone should get a chance to participate in such a worthy project and I wish it the best of success! The only thing I regret is not taking more of their tours!!

Room Tip: I recommend staying in one of their cabins if you can! I don't think I have ever slept as well a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Oro Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I was a first time visitor to Hawaii and wanted to get off the beaten path. After all, I had enough "civilization" waiting for me when I got back home. Eco Hostel was exactly what I was hoping for. From the minute we drove onto the beautiful grounds I felt at home. The jungle plants and sounds were spectacular and since the main thing I missed about home was my four legged kids, the sweet, friendly dogs and cats living there were just what I needed. After a brief tour of the grounds and explanation of the sustainable methods used to run everything I felt inspired and ready to learn more. Derek, one of the owners was gracious enough to spend his evening speaking with me and my 2 friends in advance of an early morning trip and hike. He let us know that his main goal was to make this trip 100% what we wanted it to be and outlined the different options available to us. The next day he took us to Waipio Valley where we prepared ourselves for a long hike. We swam at a beautiful black sand beach, ate coconuts right off the tree and made our way to a series of waterfalls that were unlike anything I had ever seen. No resort pampering or beachfront bar could have given the same sense of adventure and peace that this trip provided me. My only regret was not staying longer. I would recommend this experience to anyone and am already planning my next visit- which will definitely start with a backpack and a one-way ticket.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dansville, New York
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I came to Eco Hostel in late August I ended up staying through April. The hostel became my home and everyone there my family. I loved the work trade program. They gave us room to come up with our own projects and ideas, always encouraging us to be creative. Working with the staff and other volunteers was always a fun experience. I learned how to harvest bamboo and some of its sweet uses such as using it for decorative paneling and fixing broken chairs. The staff was always extremely helpful with any questions i had about farming sustainable living healthy eating or island life. They always had great idea for fun things to do on your time off. I loved falling asleep to the coqui frogs and waking up to the beautiful sunsets. Living in a way where you are outside all the time is truly life changing. I came to like our jungle shower more then my shower at home. The walk to my sleeping area was always a great time to start gaze with some of the most breath taking night sky and moon risings i have ever seen. We would often have pot lucks on aloha Fridays and enjoyed several awesome movie and series marathons at night on their screen projector in the outdoor common area. It was a fun social environment and there were always new people from all over the world stopping in and teaching us new things. They encouraged me to be who I am and go after my passions. I wouldn't trade my time or memories at the hostel for anything. I don't think I'll ever be the same it's an experience I would highly recommend to anyone. I love you guys thanks for everything.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We visited for three days and found an eclectic group of guests that were friendly, inspiring, hard working and focused in making a positive difference. The owner Kenny was very knowledgeable, educational and speaks from hard work and vision. I was so impressed with how they are cultivating the land, thoughtfully planning accommodations and offer an experience like no other. I will be back and plan on assuming a volunteer role to really benefit from all that the hostel has to offer.

• Stayed April 2014
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

This place is paradise if you love nature and great people. For folks who like to rough it but with high quality living experience. You will want to stay with Eco-hostel for the rest of your life. They also offer great tours. They bring you places no one else will. They give you the locals experience. The place improves every day as they are always expanding.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 April 2014

The Eco hostal gave me a peaceful retreat to relax amongst friends. Every day I fell asleep to the soothing song if the Coqui frog, and every morning I was greeted by hundreds if birds bursting into song at dawn. The tents were comfy and private, my own little refuge.
I spent most days on Eco hostal adventure tours, where I was treats like royalty and took in one amazing sure after the other. My main focus was hiking, so my trips focused on that.. It. Truly was adventure tours!!
I can't wait to go back and see how the Eco hostal has grown harmoniously with the jungle. It's a beautiful thing that is happening there, fueled by beautiful souls and the spirit if the island.
If you don't need a perfect accomodation, just a perfect experience... This place is for you. Not 5 star.. Way better :)

• Stayed March 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kurtistown
Hilo Seaside Hotel
#1 of 8 in Hilo
Dolphin Bay
Dolphin Bay
#2 of 8 in Hilo

Been to Eco Retreat Hawaii? Share your experiences!