“Unique and worth it if you have time and energy”

South Point (Ka Lae) and Green Sand Beach
US$1,099.00*
Circle Big Island Mercedes 11 PSGR Tour
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Naalehu
More attraction details
Owner description: The big island of Hawaii's southernmost point features the Green Sand Beach.
Reviewed 26 February 2010

We drove to South Point and then I ran to the Green sand beach.
The road to South Point is mostly 1 1/2 lanes wide so when a car comes from the opposing direction, both have to move over to the rough shoulder to get past. No big deal really, just adds to the experience. Very windy out there, just look at the way the trees grow!
Once at South Point, I ran from the parking lot to the beach while my wife waited. She did not want to go, and the only way for me to see it was to hoof it. It was windy, sandy, rocky and lots of ups and downs but I will rememeber it for the rest of my life.
Once I got there, took a few pictures from the top rim, then made my way down the trail down, skipped the steps and just scrambled down on the loose scree. It was very cool to actually be on the beach that is in so many pictures out there. I used the steps to climb up and then ran back. Total trip time, 57 minutes.
Be in good shape, have water and know how to pace yourself before you try this, walking or running. There were others that walked and 2 jeeps that I saw. Most of the people that I saw that started walking turned around before they got there.

Reviewed 8 October 2009

Green sands beach :
I drove 80 miles from Kona to the parking lot at the end of the paved road leading to the Green sands beach. Once you are parked, unless you have a 4-wheel drive vehicle, you have to walk on a dirt path for 1 hour until you reach the beach (remember, the way back also lasts 1 hour !). The view is great : a small area of green sand surrounded by a cliff. I did not see anyone in the water; maybe because of the strong streams.
If you are lodged in Volcano or if you stay long enough on this island, you should visit this interesting place. However, I do not consider this place as a “must see” on the Big Island, especially if you are staying far away from there.

1  Thank alex78160
Reviewed 12 September 2009

South Point was great. It was windy, but the views were beautiful. We stopped to take pictures and watch some people jump from the cliffs.

The Green Sand Beach was interesing, but wasn't as green as I thought it would be. If you have a 4x4 and don't mind a bit of a rough ride you can drive out, but we saw pleny of people walking. If you walk make sure you take enough water.

1  Thank Heather_R80
Reviewed 24 July 2009

Even if you don't go on over to the Green Sand Beach, a trip to Ka Lae is special because it's the southernmost point in the United States. And it's more of a local spot than a tourist spot which is always nice for atmosphere! Historic area to Hawaiian people as tradition says the first Polynesian explorers landed here. Ancient canoe moorings have been found carved into the rocks here.

3  Thank texafornian66
Reviewed 23 July 2009

We drove under enormous wind generators that made an other-worldly whoop-whoosh sound, parked the rented economy car several miles from South Point and walked. It was unlike anywhere else we have been, well worth the trek. Bring plenty of water! As with most destinations on the Big Island, the distance you travel is greater than you might expect.

2  Thank Galoshes2Heels