“Learned so much”

and up
Hawaii Island Experience
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Paauilo
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I took my daughters and my mother and mother-in-law to the Hawaiian Vanilla Company while visiting the Big Island last month. We made reservations for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed the 3 course lunch which featured vanilla in many unique ways I never would have expected. Delicious!
During the lunch the owner did a cooking demonstration and then taught us all about vanilla including how to make your own extract (which I have since done!). Following lunch we went on a tour of the farm to learn more about how vanilla grows and the pain staking care that is required in order to get a good harvest. I appreciate what goes into growing vanilla so much more and understand why the good stuff is so expensive now. We all thoroughly enjoyed the day!

Reviewed 26 March 2014

This was my third time at the Hawaiian Vanilla Company in the last 10 years. Fun, informative, and the vanilla luncheon was absolutely delicious. Highly recommended for anyone coming to the Big Island.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We met some people who told us about the Vanilla Company while we were vacationing on the Big Island. Though they arrived just as the business was closing, they ranted about the information they had received from the son who was closing up. We decided this had to be a stop for us while on the Big Island. We picked up a brochure in Hilo and planned a visit the next day. Though the brochure noted Tours & Tastings, we did not realize you needed to sign up for a tour or tasting prior. Call ahead for times. We wandered around the gift shop for about 10 minutes before deciding to leave. We were not approached by an employee the entire time we were there.

1  Thank RozieCA
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My husband and had the lunch and farm tour. The food was amazing and everything was made with vanilla. The cooking demo made by the owners son was impressive as he welcomed every crazy question you had about using vanilla beans. He even taught us all how to make our own vanilla extract. The farm tour was a real eye opener because you don't realize how much goes into growing vanilla and how time consuming it is, which also explains why it is expensive. I can't wait to take others on this tour and eat some delicious food again.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

We were invited by a friend to join her for high tea here.We have many courses all around vanilla. Salad, Soup, sandwich, lots of treats( at least six I remember), hot mullen wine, and choose of four teas. I didn't know what to expect and was pleasently surprised. It is tucked away up a long narrow road with lots of turns.