“Perfect”
Review of Kapoho Village Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pahoa
Kapoho Village Inn
Ranked #11 of 17 Pahoa B&B and Inns
Palo Alto
“Perfect”
Reviewed 28 October 2009

We stayed for one night at the Kapoho Village Inn but wished that we could have stayed a week. It was the perfect place for our family, which included our four young kids (ages 3-7) and my aging parents. It is clean and simply but beautifully and very tastefully decorated. The lay-out of all the rooms opening up onto an outdoor breezeway, with the kitchen centrally located and several shared bathrooms comfortably spread around worked well. The privacy was fabulous with kids, because we didn't have to worry about their being too loud! (Our party of 8 rented the whole inn.) There is a magical hillside in back that the kids loved playing on - like their own little jungle. And the sites to explore and things to do in the area abound - we only just scratched the surface. If we could return to anywhere on the Big Island, I would go back to Pahoa and stay in this lovely Inn. Chris made the reservation, arrival, and departure process smooth, easy, and very laid-back. We highly recommend it and hope to return again someday!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Virginia
Reviewed 27 October 2009

My self, my girlfriend, my niece and her best friend started our 11 day graduation gift Big Island Adventure at the Kapoho Village Inn. We arrived from HNL in the late afternoon and were a little tired. We stopped in Pahoa and obtained some groceries before stopping by to collect the keys and instructions for the village inn. We drove the amazing tree canopied drive near the Lava Tree State park. I was amazing in the filtered sunset light. We arrived at the inn and were amazed at the privacy afforded by its location up away from the road. (The road is not that busy but it is always nice to be out of sight of traffic.)

We were the only guests and took two of the 6 available rooms. All were well appointed and very comfortable. The bathrooms and kitchen are in a different part of the structure and were well set up and appointed. The kitchen is spacious and well set up for cooking and quick meals alike.

The open passageway and dining area were protected form rain but open to the lovely breeze and fresh air. There was a little path running up the back yard area that showed how the lava and natural terrain worked with the inn. The flora was lush and each day revealed new plants and sights right around the inn.

We used the inn as our headquarters while exploring the Pahoa areas. The champagne ponds, the easternmost point of the island, the Kapoho pools, Kalapana, and the public lava viewing area were all less than ten minutes from the inn. The Hale boat launch is equally close. We spent day one driving to these areas and were able to return for lunch as the Inn is located in a central and quickly accessible area.

The next day we had a leisurely breakfast and then explored the Volcano National Park. The Inn is closer than Hilo and way closer than Kona enabling more time exploring and having fun.

We were regretting the fact our adventure took us away from the Kapoho Inn for the rest of our trip but I will be staying at the Kapoho Village Inn during any stay I have on the Big Island.

There were a few glitches but nothing significant. The hot water system had solar and enhanced heating and seemed inconsistent but it was warm so I did not care.

I will be back.

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank gregrob
hawaii
Reviewed 27 October 2009

no doubt about it!...i will always stay at this place. its wonderful, close to snorkling, quiet,comfortable, charming and has everything you need at a great price. the couple that owns it are very nice people!!......."come one, come all" to the kapoho village inn. ABBY

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
NC
Reviewed 25 January 2009

My fiance and I stayed one night at the KVI and we wish we were able to stay longer! We thoroughly enjoyed our brief stay here - quiet and unassuming, this place is a real gem. It is exceptionally clean and from what I could tell, everything is new - from bedding to appliances to furniture. The bed was sooo comfortable - a very important feature for travelers. We were in Hawaii for 2 and 1/2 weeks and I had the best night sle'sep in this bed, it was just that comfortable. The map our host, Chris, gave us was awesome! He highlights all the cool things in the Kapoho area so that was very much appreciated. The snorkeling in the tidepools is AWESOME - thanks, Chris, for the recommendation! One thing to note is that this isn't actually a B&B - I think in some searches it popped up as a B&B but no breakfast is offered. Overall very clean and accommodating - highly recommended! We hope to come back again someday. Aloha!

• Liked — privacy, cleanliness, location
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank giggles918
St. Paul
Reviewed 2 November 2008

I'm two months late with this review; my mom died just days after we returned home. It's only now that I have time to enjoy my memories of our Hawaiian vacation, and Kapoho Village Inn was an important part of that. We wanted to stay somewhere within an easy drive of the lava flow, and were lucky to find this place! It's sparkling clean, simple, lovely, and out of the way. We were so grateful to be out of the intense Labor Day heat, traffic, and vog of the dry side.

There are frogs, but since one of my cherished memories of childhood is the night sound of spring peepers from the pond down the road, I was delighted. The Kapoho tide pools were amazing, and we were happy the tide was coming in instead of going out. Sunrise at Ahalanui Park was magical. We spent deliciously cool evenings watching the lava flow explode into the ocean.

We had only intended to spend a night; it extended into four. The truth was, neither of us could bear to leave. For a couple of nights, we had the whole place to ourselves. It was our oasis of peace and comfort. I see that other travelers have included pictures of the Inn, so I'm just going to add a couple of Ahalanui Park, only minutes down the road; and a couple of the lava flow area.

• Liked — Quiet, clean, lovely area, enormous kitchen, listening to birdsong on the lanai
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank imkalena
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Reviewed 23 August 2008

Our family booked two of the rooms in this charming 30's era home for sugar cane workers as a place to call home while we explored the southeast end of the big island. The hotel was fantastic and our hosts, Chris and Tish, were a pleasure. The sights were fantastic, plentiful, and all within a few minutes drive.

The property is located in what seems like a rain forest, has been completely renovated and is in great shape with just six nicely outfitted rooms, a great community kitchen, and several beautiful baths in the adjoining building. We had the place to ourselves and the kids were in heaven. They would have gladly spent all day playing on the big hill behind the hotel if not for the many adventures.

We made morning runs to snorkel the coral reefs in the tide pools, swim in the volcanically heated pool, hike the green mountain crater, and crawl through the lava tubes. After lunch at the hotel, we wandered Lava Tree state park, swam with the surfers in the state park, and took our rental Jeep off road to the light house. Every evening after dinner, we went to the viewing area just outside Volcano's National Park to watch the lava flow into the Pacific.

We will never forget our time at the Kapoho Village Inn!

• Liked — The Surroundings and The Hosts
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Seattle
Reviewed 18 August 2008

Great little place out in the Puna district countryside. Clean, modern and just the basics (bedroom, shared bathrooms and shared kitchen). This is for someone looking for a getaway not a tourist experience. It's very quiet (except for the coqui frogs at night) and no street lights so you get an excellent view of the stars (between the nightly showers :) ). The Hilo area is rainy but much better than I expected (though at times it does rain a lot). I'm from Seattle so rain is not an issue especially when it's warm rain! The ocean is 10mins away on one side and the Volcano National Park is 45 mins away the other way. I got to see the lava flowing into the ocean and that's about 30mins away. Great place and the owner is very helpful and friendly (kudos to Chris and Trish!)
Jack Jensen

• Liked — quiet, home-like, country-setting
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pahoa
Chalet Kilauea
#3 of 17 in Pahoa
The Ohia House
The Ohia House
#1 of 17 in Pahoa

Been to Kapoho Village Inn? Share your experiences!