“Healing and wonderful time”
Review of Kalani

Kalani
Ranked #2 of 11 Speciality Lodging in Pahoa
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Lunas, New Mexico
“Healing and wonderful time”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I went to Kalani in November of 2011 to heal from a bad break up, and it was a truly wonderful experience.

My only complaint is that there really were no swimable beaches nearby. I did visit a black sand beach but the surf is rough, more so than I would be brave enough to go in. That isnt Kalani's fault though and they do have a fantatic pool. It is just the location if you want a beach experience is not ideal.

The lodging I stayed in was basic ( lodge room ) but met all my needs and I was very comfortable going to sleep at night hearing all the frogs. The food was really very good, and healthy and the yoga was also great.

I cant say enough good things about it, the people were awesome and happy, my time gave me a reprieve from the grief and loss I was going through and I cant wait to go back again in happier times!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank BlueRose6629

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Colorado
Reviewed 29 March 2012

What a fantastic place to visit. I did a yoga retreat here and we all absolutely loved it. The grounds are beautiful. The staff and volunteers were so nice. The food was absolutely incredible. The pool is wonderful. And if you get a chance, schedule a Watsu session. It is a amazing experience.

Thanks all at Kalani for a great trip!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank bigbirdcolorado
Stevenage, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I volunteered at Kalani for three months. It is an amazing place, it attracts amazing people. There are a fantastic variety of classes happening at all times, where there is ample oppurtunity to learn several types of yoga and dance, including hula. There is also a Hawaiian studies class which teaches about the language and the history of Hawai'i.
The food is exquisite, the kitchen staff put their love into their cooking and much effort is made to grow food on property and obtain it from local farms. The Kalani staff are consciously working to gradually make this community more eco-friendly.
Most importantly, Kalani teaches about the spirit of Aloha, and every resident there lives it and spreads it. I would recommend this place to anyone looking to experience the real heart of Hawai'i and the true meaning of Aloha.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank SamuelHogarth
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 March 2012

The best food. The best people. The best environment. I'm ready to move in ....can't rave about it enough!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank barbara c
Lake Stevens, Wa
Reviewed 6 March 2012

My husband and I ONLY have great things to report about Kalani. We have stayed there on 4 different occasions and all 4 were spectacular. Three were with the "Couples in Paradise" group and the last one was with the "Lomi Lomi Massage" group. As always our room has always been unique and special and we have always felt safe and warm/dry in our space. Not having glass in our windows and only screen is special since we're from Washington State where it rains every day and the glass windows are most often closed and wet. At Kalani it might rain but then the sun comes out right afterwards and dries everything up. It's fun to listen to it rain so very hard on the roof tops. Nothing stays wet for long. I enjoy listening to the sounds of the ocean and the frogs singing every night. Nature at it's best. The food at Kalani is spectacular and we always look forward to going back to experience the fun staff who dish it up for you. We have never had a bad meal or experience at Kalani and can only say wonderful things about the friendly volunteer staff and helpful caring people that walk the property. We have found smiles in every corner we've explored. This year we heard that we might see "wild pigs" and even though I actually looked for them, we did not spot any. Drats. Perhaps at our next visit. My husband and I enjoy walking down the the front desk to share an ice-cream and swimming in the clothing optional pool and getting our annual flower/plant tour from Barcus who really knows his trade and enjoys sharing information. Our first visit to Kalani we met LMP Sylvie and have signed up to get a massage from her on each returning visit. She's now "family" to me and I appreciate the fact that when we return we can see familiar faces and continue our friendships. Comforting to have a familiar face to chat with when you return. We consider Richard and all the rest of the staff as loving souls with acceptance and love abounding. We can't wait for our next visit. Mahalo.

Room Tip: We like the private rooms with our own bath room & refrigerator
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Vancouver
Reviewed 5 March 2012

If you could do with some soul pampering, Kalani has what you need. In a jungle setting, with first-class yoga classes, massage, and other therapies available, not to mention proximity to the intoxicating beauty of the ocean waves, Kalani also offers more, something remarkable: an emotionally safe cocoon of welcoming aloha spirit and loving acceptance for all who walk through its gates, a place where the growth you might be striving for will not only be supported, but encouraged, applauded, validated.

This sometimes happens in an imperfect way - though the area is magical, Kalani's people are still human, and things occasionally go awry - but I would say even the imperfections are perfect, as they usually offer opportunities for a change of perspective on what really matters in our lives.

If you need pristine rooms, immaculate grounds, and formal staff, try the Kona side of the island; I'm sure it will have something to offer. But if you are ready to accept, appreciate and maybe even love yourself with all your imperfections, you might want to start with a visit to Kalani. Your soul will thank you for it.

Room Tip: Kalani has a range of rooms... each is fairly unique, with benefits and limitations. However, if you...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Jenn B
Culpeper
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I arrived at Kalani at night, so my first impression was not of the beauty of this retreat center. My first impression was of the staff. What a treat that was. From the volunteer who picked me up at the airport, to the lady who checked me into my room, I received nothing but Aloha upon my arrival.

My next impression of Kalani came from the sounds, the enchanting and melodious sounds that sank into my soul. From the laughter that floated through the air, to what I originally thought were insects of some exotic sort, but turned out to be coqui frogs, I knew I had found my place to grow spiritually as these frogs lulled me to sleep with their hypnotic lullaby. I was not mistaken. It is a great place to grow spiritually. It is also a great place to go on adventures, make friends, connect with your higher self, or just sleep in a hammock or by the pool. Kalani is awesome.

It wasn't until the morning after my arrival that I got my first look at the property. Wow! From the main lawn, to the view of the ocean across the road, everywhere you look, you are reminded that this is Hawaii, and yes, Hawaii is indeed paradise. Be sure to ask a staff member where the Monkey Pod tree is. Yes, there are a number of monkey pod trees on property, but only one is THE Monkey Pod Tree. It is amazing. You have to see it. My advice? Take your shoes off and walk on the roots of this tree. You might just have a religious experience if you do, or however you define your personal spirituality.

The room I stayed in was nice. It was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the art on the wall was unique. It was obviously from a local artist and not simply shipped in from a corporate office as you would expect from a chain hotel. Little things like that really do make a difference.

When you visit Kalani, you can choose to be bored if you want to. If you just want to take it easy by the pool, enjoy! If you want to take classes, such as yoga or active meditation, enjoy! If you want to swim in the ocean, there is a beach just down the road, so there again, enjoy! Do what you want to do at Kalani. Be who you want to be at Kalani. Enjoy Kalani the way you want to enjoy Kalani. Whatever the choices are that you make at Kalani, one thing is guaranteed, you will leave there a transformed being. You will be much more in touch with the true you, and you will have an unprecedented understanding of what you are on the planet to do. Kalani is magical this way, and I'm not one to use words like "magical" unless I mean it. When I say this about Kalani, i mean it. It is magical. I spent only eight days there, but the inner-transformation I underwent is good for a lifetime. It's that kind of place.

I will be back as soon as I can get there.

Room Tip: I stayed in Hale 3. No complaints.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank James A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pahoa
Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho`omaluhia
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Kirpal Meditation and Ecological Center
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton
Ma'ukele Lodge
Ma'ukele Lodge
#1 of 2 in Kalapana

Been to Kalani? Share your experiences!