“We were totally surprised by the Place and the service”
Review of Kalani

Kalani
Ranked #3 of 11 Speciality Lodging in Pahoa
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We bought a Living Social deal and myself and my wife had a little bit of concern before getting there because the website claims this place as a vegetarian/hippie community. Once we got there we realize how awesome this place is and everything was really over our expectations.

The location is spectacular, we stayed at some bungalows in the middle of the jungle and at night you can hear all the nature sounds. The Staff is probably the most friendly staff that a hotel can have.

We bought a package called Kalani Experience, that includes all the meals, the classes and two 2h massages for each of us. It was a good deal.

The food is good, and they serve beef and chicken too, the best meal for us was the breakfast and their home made granola. The massages were great too.

Things to know before you go, this is not a luxury resort, the accommodations were very clean and the rooms don't have windows glasses (you can hear everything around the accommodations). The pool area is clothing optional, and we couldn't find a nice beach to swim around Kalani, however the beaches are extremely beautiful to see with volcanic formations and strong waves. When we were there it has rained pretty much everyday in the morning, but after 10 AM it is already gone.

I recommend renting a car in the airport because there is a lot to see around Kalani. The forest is very lush, lots of places to stop and see the nature, there are some guided tours on Kalapana that take you to the see active lava, at night there is a place you can see the lava glowing. We snorkel at the tide pools and it was really cool to see all sorts of fishes and a coral formation. The Pahoa farmers market is cool too, and they are opened on Sundays. If you have time I recommend going on the other side of the island, so you can see some awesome beaches to swim.

Overall, it was an amazing experience and we hope to go back there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank claudioasfilho

Reviewed 28 April 2012

I went to Kalani in November of 2011 to heal from a bad break up, and it was a truly wonderful experience.

My only complaint is that there really were no swimable beaches nearby. I did visit a black sand beach but the surf is rough, more so than I would be brave enough to go in. That isnt Kalani's fault though and they do have a fantatic pool. It is just the location if you want a beach experience is not ideal.

The lodging I stayed in was basic ( lodge room ) but met all my needs and I was very comfortable going to sleep at night hearing all the frogs. The food was really very good, and healthy and the yoga was also great.

I cant say enough good things about it, the people were awesome and happy, my time gave me a reprieve from the grief and loss I was going through and I cant wait to go back again in happier times!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank BlueRose6629
Reviewed 29 March 2012

What a fantastic place to visit. I did a yoga retreat here and we all absolutely loved it. The grounds are beautiful. The staff and volunteers were so nice. The food was absolutely incredible. The pool is wonderful. And if you get a chance, schedule a Watsu session. It is a amazing experience.

Thanks all at Kalani for a great trip!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank bigbirdcolorado
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I volunteered at Kalani for three months. It is an amazing place, it attracts amazing people. There are a fantastic variety of classes happening at all times, where there is ample oppurtunity to learn several types of yoga and dance, including hula. There is also a Hawaiian studies class which teaches about the language and the history of Hawai'i.
The food is exquisite, the kitchen staff put their love into their cooking and much effort is made to grow food on property and obtain it from local farms. The Kalani staff are consciously working to gradually make this community more eco-friendly.
Most importantly, Kalani teaches about the spirit of Aloha, and every resident there lives it and spreads it. I would recommend this place to anyone looking to experience the real heart of Hawai'i and the true meaning of Aloha.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank SamuelHogarth
Reviewed 13 March 2012

The best food. The best people. The best environment. I'm ready to move in ....can't rave about it enough!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank barbara c
Reviewed 6 March 2012

My husband and I ONLY have great things to report about Kalani. We have stayed there on 4 different occasions and all 4 were spectacular. Three were with the "Couples in Paradise" group and the last one was with the "Lomi Lomi Massage" group. As always our room has always been unique and special and we have always felt safe and warm/dry in our space. Not having glass in our windows and only screen is special since we're from Washington State where it rains every day and the glass windows are most often closed and wet. At Kalani it might rain but then the sun comes out right afterwards and dries everything up. It's fun to listen to it rain so very hard on the roof tops. Nothing stays wet for long. I enjoy listening to the sounds of the ocean and the frogs singing every night. Nature at it's best. The food at Kalani is spectacular and we always look forward to going back to experience the fun staff who dish it up for you. We have never had a bad meal or experience at Kalani and can only say wonderful things about the friendly volunteer staff and helpful caring people that walk the property. We have found smiles in every corner we've explored. This year we heard that we might see "wild pigs" and even though I actually looked for them, we did not spot any. Drats. Perhaps at our next visit. My husband and I enjoy walking down the the front desk to share an ice-cream and swimming in the clothing optional pool and getting our annual flower/plant tour from Barcus who really knows his trade and enjoys sharing information. Our first visit to Kalani we met LMP Sylvie and have signed up to get a massage from her on each returning visit. She's now "family" to me and I appreciate the fact that when we return we can see familiar faces and continue our friendships. Comforting to have a familiar face to chat with when you return. We consider Richard and all the rest of the staff as loving souls with acceptance and love abounding. We can't wait for our next visit. Mahalo.

Room Tip: We like the private rooms with our own bath room & refrigerator
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 March 2012

If you could do with some soul pampering, Kalani has what you need. In a jungle setting, with first-class yoga classes, massage, and other therapies available, not to mention proximity to the intoxicating beauty of the ocean waves, Kalani also offers more, something remarkable: an emotionally safe cocoon of welcoming aloha spirit and loving acceptance for all who walk through its gates, a place where the growth you might be striving for will not only be supported, but encouraged, applauded, validated.

This sometimes happens in an imperfect way - though the area is magical, Kalani's people are still human, and things occasionally go awry - but I would say even the imperfections are perfect, as they usually offer opportunities for a change of perspective on what really matters in our lives.

If you need pristine rooms, immaculate grounds, and formal staff, try the Kona side of the island; I'm sure it will have something to offer. But if you are ready to accept, appreciate and maybe even love yourself with all your imperfections, you might want to start with a visit to Kalani. Your soul will thank you for it.

Room Tip: Kalani has a range of rooms... each is fairly unique, with benefits and limitations. However, if you...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Jenn B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pahoa
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Kirpal Meditation and Ecological Center
Ma'ukele Lodge
Ma'ukele Lodge
#1 of 2 in Kalapana

Been to Kalani? Share your experiences!