We bought a Living Social deal and myself and my wife had a little bit of concern before getting there because the website claims this place as a vegetarian/hippie community. Once we got there we realize how awesome this place is and everything was really over our expectations.
The location is spectacular, we stayed at some bungalows in the middle of the jungle and at night you can hear all the nature sounds. The Staff is probably the most friendly staff that a hotel can have.
We bought a package called Kalani Experience, that includes all the meals, the classes and two 2h massages for each of us. It was a good deal.
The food is good, and they serve beef and chicken too, the best meal for us was the breakfast and their home made granola. The massages were great too.
Things to know before you go, this is not a luxury resort, the accommodations were very clean and the rooms don't have windows glasses (you can hear everything around the accommodations). The pool area is clothing optional, and we couldn't find a nice beach to swim around Kalani, however the beaches are extremely beautiful to see with volcanic formations and strong waves. When we were there it has rained pretty much everyday in the morning, but after 10 AM it is already gone.
I recommend renting a car in the airport because there is a lot to see around Kalani. The forest is very lush, lots of places to stop and see the nature, there are some guided tours on Kalapana that take you to the see active lava, at night there is a place you can see the lava glowing. We snorkel at the tide pools and it was really cool to see all sorts of fishes and a coral formation. The Pahoa farmers market is cool too, and they are opened on Sundays. If you have time I recommend going on the other side of the island, so you can see some awesome beaches to swim.
Overall, it was an amazing experience and we hope to go back there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kalani is the largest retreat center in the state of Hawaii, nestled on the yoga coast in one of Hawaii's largest conservation areas for over 35 years. We feature more than 40 classes a week, including our renowned yoga and meditation programming, Hawaiian culture classes, and dance (hula, modern, and aerial.)Our location on the Big Island of Hawaii is 5 minutes from Kehena Beach, a clothing-optional black sand beach where wild-spinner dolphins frequently swim; 15 miles from spectacular lava-viewing; and nestled in luscious rainforest, which helps feed our organic kitchens with abundant fruit and vegetables. Kalani is known as a power spot - Shiva Rea calls Kalani "one of the most potent and nurturing retreat centers in the world." Kalani is a 501(c)(3) charity. Your stay here will support the preservation of Hawaiian culture, transformation, and within the poorest district in Hawaii. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK) and Evoline ltd so you can book your Kalani reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kalani Oceanside Retreat Pahoa
- Kalani Oceanside Retreat Hotel Pahoa
- Kalani Hawaii/Pahoa