I have visited Kalani twice in the past 2 years, for a yoga retreat in January. For the nature-loving, low maintenance traveler who is ready to relax and renew in a soulful environment, this is a wonderful choice! As one staffer noted, Kalani is a retreat center, not a resort, so if you need something, they are happy to help, but you must ASK.
The food is excellent, with lots of fresh fruits & vegetable, and vegan, vegetarian and meat entrees available. Dining is cafeteria style on a lovely lanai.
The classes offered are eclectic and wonderful: hula, burlesque, Hawaiian healing, yoga, etc.
The pool area is clothing optional, but if you tend to be shy, suits are fine too. There is shade and moderate privacy around the pool and spa area. If you love to skinny dip but enjoy modesty, I would recommend an early morning dip when the area is completely deserted.
Definitely try out a massage from one of their excellent massage therapists. Several modalities offered mean that there is something for just about everyone: Deep Tissue, Lomi Lomi, Thai, Watsu ( a wonderfully gentle massage in the water where you truly are weightless and a lot of unwinding can happen), Hot Rocks, etc etc. Don't forget to tip!
The staff and volunteers are friendly, dedicated and hard working. Who wouldn't be in such a supportive atmosphere?
I am already scheming about how I can get back for another yoga retreat at Kalani in 2014!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kalani is the largest retreat center in the state of Hawaii, nestled on the yoga coast in one of Hawaii's largest conservation areas for over 35 years. We feature more than 40 classes a week, including our renowned yoga and meditation programming, Hawaiian culture classes, and dance (hula, modern, and aerial.)Our location on the Big Island of Hawaii is 5 minutes from Kehena Beach, a clothing-optional black sand beach where wild-spinner dolphins frequently swim; 15 miles from spectacular lava-viewing; and nestled in luscious rainforest, which helps feed our organic kitchens with abundant fruit and vegetables. Kalani is known as a power spot - Shiva Rea calls Kalani "one of the most potent and nurturing retreat centers in the world." Kalani is a 501(c)(3) charity. Your stay here will support the preservation of Hawaiian culture, transformation, and within the poorest district in Hawaii. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Evoline ltd so you can book your Kalani reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kalani Oceanside Retreat Pahoa
- Kalani Oceanside Retreat Hotel Pahoa
- Kalani Hawaii/Pahoa