There are many things to love about this place: a beautiful setting, great food and fun people. Kalani is located in a quiet corner of the island (Puna) and you can hear the sound of the waves smashing against the lava sea cliffs just across from the main entrance. This place attracts a very eclectic clientele, which I think adds to the fun. I went last year and signed up for a weeklong men-only workshop. It was advertised as men-only but I found out they interpret men-only rather loosely. The rates charged are very reasonable considering the quoted price includes all meals served on the premises or as bag lunches taken on the adventures.The workshop included trips to many interesting parts of the island but Kalani doesn t have any transportation of its own so they rely on guest s rental cars to ferry folks around. As I said, the program was advertised as a men-only event but a female guest of the lodge joined us on many outings without our consent. Apparently the management decided to piggyback her on our trips and still collect the fee from her.This place bills itself as an Eco-Resort but they just finished bulldozing many acres of Hawaiian rainforest to build condos! I m not sure how this development will help maintain natural habitat in Hawaii.The staff consists mainly of young kids there as resident volunteers who commit to a 3-month stay and work 30 hours a week. They have to pay $900 for the privilege of working at Kalani for 3 months! All the kids seemed to be having a good time though and had a very positive attitude with the guests.All in all I had a good time at Kalani and would visit the place again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kalani is the largest retreat center in the state of Hawaii, nestled on the yoga coast in one of Hawaii's largest conservation areas for over 35 years. We feature more than 40 classes a week, including our renowned yoga and meditation programming, Hawaiian culture classes, and dance (hula, modern, and aerial.)Our location on the Big Island of Hawaii is 5 minutes from Kehena Beach, a clothing-optional black sand beach where wild-spinner dolphins frequently swim; 15 miles from spectacular lava-viewing; and nestled in luscious rainforest, which helps feed our organic kitchens with abundant fruit and vegetables. Kalani is known as a power spot - Shiva Rea calls Kalani "one of the most potent and nurturing retreat centers in the world." Kalani is a 501(c)(3) charity. Your stay here will support the preservation of Hawaiian culture, transformation, and within the poorest district in Hawaii. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Kalani reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kalani Oceanside Retreat Pahoa
- Kalani Oceanside Retreat Hotel Pahoa
- Kalani Hawaii/Pahoa