“Relaxed and happy”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Relaxed and happy”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Delicious food, clean rooms and pool area, friendly staff

I was a solo traveller attending a yoga & meditation retreat. I loved every second there. I recommend bringing a good flashlight (the grounds are large and there is not a lot of electricity outdoors), attending ecstatic dance (best therapy ever), snorkeling, and visiting the black sand beach. Can't wait to return. I recommend this magical place for individuals, couples, and families who love nature. Many people I encountered were repeat visitors and I am sure I will be as well.

Room Tip: There are different lodging options. I chose the private bedroom and bathroom and it was great, mos...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank CMMlovestotravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

A friend and I tried this for a four day yoga trip from an on-line deal. We had such a good time that we will for sure go back. It's not the type of hotel our husbands would enjoy....but for our annual girls trip it was perfect.

We arrived on the island on a later flight. We called ahead to make sure they knew of our late arrival. The security guy was expecting us and he was very nice. We had a nice bungalow that is kind of like a duplex. It sat above ground level and had a beautiful view of the surrounding jungle. The room was clean and tidy. There is no glass in the windows. They are screened. That let in the fresh Hawaii air. We had a gecko in our room which actually made me feel better because I know they eat insects. No TV and our Verizon cell phones didn't work. But that was actually relaxing. Wifi worked great. Like another review said, it is not the Hilton. But our room was clean and comfortable.

The food was delicious and all the staff was very nice. The yoga was more than we could have hoped for. We got to try a few different styles of yoga that enhanced our practice. There were so many other activities that we would have liked to do, but 4 days was really too short.

We went snorkeling at the nearby tidal pools (a recommendation of the staff at the office) with reasonably priced rental gear. They were very pretty. A word of warning. Bring swim socks or some tennies for the tidal pools. It is all lava rock and is impossible to walk on in flip flops and so painful in bare feet.

As to the negative comments I read about on this site and others. Take them with a grain of salt. The clothing optional pool was..well..enlightening. Not my thing, but I sort of wished I could be so unfettered. There were as many people who were starkers as there were in bathing suits. So be prepared. About being a "gay" resort. It's not. There were some gay men and women. But really not many. All were respectful of others so no different from daily life. Yes, there was no air conditioning. But we only felt hot a few times. On our second night there, it sounded like Sasquatch was crashing around in the jungle around our bungalow. The next morning when we went to the office to pay for breakfast, the lady working asked how we were enjoying our stay. We told her about the scary noises and learned it was a pig...whew. One last thing, bring good earplugs. The frogs go from sundown until sunup. And they are soooo loud.

This was a very relaxing 4 days.  And we will for sure visit again.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Scrappybug
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I was trying to figure out where to live in the Bay Area and getting really confused with everything, looking from place to place every few days, until a friend suggested I spend some time in Hawaii instead. It felt like a good idea, but I had never been before and was looking for places to stay with great difficulty at such a short notice, nearly giving up, when I suddenly remembered a yoga teacher mentioning Kalani. I called Kalani without knowing where it was or even really what it was. As soon as the reservationist answered the phone, I could feel the vibrations coming through and instantly felt at peace, knowing that everything was going to be okay. I asked her if they had any rooms available, and she told me about the Kalani Experience Retreat Package and within minutes it was settled.

What I thought was going to be four days of hanging out at the beach resulted in six days of being in Utopia in the jungle. The place emanates a natural beauty, ease, joy and positive energy where life abounds everywhere and things are growing in all directions. I felt truly free and encouraged to be who I am and let it all go in the most positive way. The environment at Kalani embraces the essence of life through dance, yoga, and connection to the natural abundance and sacredness of the land and humanity, all coming from the heart.

Kalani is really a special place where people work together in a spirited way to create a community that is brimming over with aloha spirit and connected to life force. Kalani is really how the whole world should be. I am so grateful to have experienced it, and knowing it exists makes me feel so much more at home on this earth!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank esho2
Tustin, California
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Outstanding! Our dwelling was like a cottage with a panoramic view of a field with horses and beautiful trees and plants. At night it's so dark you can see a gazillion stars. The staff is friendly and non-intrusive. Or dwelling was super clean and they even offer organic soap.

Room Tip: There seemed to be town home style, and cottages sprinkled about. The decor varies, ffrom rustin to...
Green Features: Organic soap, recycling, food scraps get sent to a pig farm, pretty cool!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank purpleisle
Stateline, NV
Reviewed 23 August 2013

The past three Junes I have attended Gilad's Fitness Adventure Camp Week at the beautiful Kalani Retreat. What a beautiful location, a true heaven on earth. Not only is the location spectacular with beauty, serenity, peacefulness, friendly and helpful staff who remember us from year to year and help in anyway possible and so many choices of activities from dance to massage. The food is plentiful and delicious with much variety to satisfy all appetites. The rooms are simple but very comfortable. I look forward to my return in 2014.

Room Tip: My personal preference is a private room with bath.
2 Thank CRGStateline_NV
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Hawaii
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Aloha, I was brought to Kalani by an opportunity to participate in the Fire of the Goddess retreat. The accommodations were beyond expectation. Beautiful rooms and beautiful grounds, delicious food and beautiful people. The open atmosphere is accepting of all different kinds of people and the activities available provide rich options for self exploration, healing and growth. I recommend Kalani to anyone who can afford it.

Room Tip: I stayed in the M set of rooms, they were is a good location in terms of closeness to the kitchen an...
Green Features: I appreciate what Kalani is doing for the volunteers, guests, community and world at large with their commitment to environmentally-friendly practices.
2 Thank evolvingm
Reno
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Beautiful Buddhist-influenced retreat-resort on the Big Island of Hawaii where you can kick back and relax or be as busy as you want to be with many styles of Yoga, try Watsu (water body therapy), explore rugged shoreline and jungle environs, meditate, hike, dance, be massaged, learn Ukelele, get healthy, snorkel nearby and enjoy the surrounding natural beauty. Great staff of professionals and volunteers keep the grounds, facilities and services humming. I'm a 72 y.o. very conservative senior who had never tried this kind of vacation week, but am delighted that I did and would definitely go back .... for two weeks.

PS ... Kalani supports charitable objectives and is a 501(C)3 organization.

Room Tip: I signed up for a "Bungalow" room but was upgraded to a "Tropical Loft" room in...
Green Features: A very GREEN enterprise that is not only environmental protective but also community conscious, supporting local farmers and suppliers in an economically challenged area.
7 Thank BillY1940
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pahoa
Chalet Kilauea
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Kirpal Meditation and Ecological Center
Hilton Waikoloa Village

Been to Kalani? Share your experiences!