If you are looking for a resort in Hawaii, this is probably not the place for you. While you can book in and stay, it really is a destination for people who want to experience what Kalani has to offer. I found the previous reviews of the Retreat to be really helpful, so I would encourage reading them. I went here for one of the workshops (Will Donnelly's Practical Yoga), and I really cannot say enough about what an amazing an experience it was.
With respect to the lodging, it was clean and comfortable, nothing fancy. I stayed in a bamboo bungalow in the jungle, which was interesting. Spacious with everything you would want from lodging when you are not there for the hotel room.
The food, I have to say, is outstanding. I have eaten and stayed at a lot of first-rate restaurants and the food here could hold a candle to any of them. Because there are a variety of chefs, nothing ever really tastes the same so you don't get bored. It was healthy, but it was also delicious. They accommodate vegan and gluten-free with ease.
The pool is a refreshing place to cool your body temperature. It is clothing optional, but as others have said, all that means is you are meant to respect people's clothing choices. I had one of the best massages I have ever had, and they offer a wide arrange of therapies. If you don't come on a specific workshop, there are plenty of activities to keep you occupied.
This is a very spiritual place occupied by a community of people striving to be better human beings. It isn't a vacation spot. But it is a simply amazing retreat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kalani is the largest retreat center in the state of Hawaii, nestled on the yoga coast in one of Hawaii's largest conservation areas for over 35 years. We feature more than 40 classes a week, including our renowned yoga and meditation programming, Hawaiian culture classes, and dance (hula, modern, and aerial.)Our location on the Big Island of Hawaii is 5 minutes from Kehena Beach, a clothing-optional black sand beach where wild-spinner dolphins frequently swim; 15 miles from spectacular lava-viewing; and nestled in luscious rainforest, which helps feed our organic kitchens with abundant fruit and vegetables. Kalani is known as a power spot - Shiva Rea calls Kalani "one of the most potent and nurturing retreat centers in the world." Kalani is a 501(c)(3) charity. Your stay here will support the preservation of Hawaiian culture, transformation, and within the poorest district in Hawaii. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Hotel.de so you can book your Kalani reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kalani Oceanside Retreat Pahoa
- Kalani Oceanside Retreat Hotel Pahoa
- Kalani Hawaii/Pahoa