I had a truly wonderful, magical, healing and transformative experience during my 1 week at Kalani. I was nervous that it would feel too hippy for me, I think, but I ended up really loving everything about the experience. The food was abundant and delicious with tons of options, mostly local foods & very fresh. I loved the communal dining style. My room was very clean and wonderful. The windows are just screens, no glass, but that was fine. The only issue was that everything that was made of paper in my room (my journal, for instance) ended up feeling a little limp by the end of the week from dampness, but nothing ever got wet inside the room. It rained a little every day I was there but was also sunny every day. "The Point" - a spot across the street right at the ocean - is beautiful and so serene. There are tons of classes to choose from each day. I did a different yoga class each day and all the teachers were wonderful & wise. In particular I loved Amma, Maxwell, Jared, Will & Caroline. I also took a Huna Healing class with Stewart and would highly recommend it. He was thoughtful and informative and it was a great experience. There was more internet access than I even had expected - a few different locations around the campus. Cute geckos everywhere. The pool & hot tubs are so relaxing. Be forewarned that most people are nude at the pool, but don't shy away because of that. I wasn't sure if maybe people would be nude EVERYwhere and that was not the case at all. Only by the pool. And everyone is very chill about it. I wore a bathing suit and no one cared about that either. It's a very non judgmental kind of place. I have never felt so supported & loved by a community.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kalani is the largest retreat center in the state of Hawaii, nestled on the yoga coast in one of Hawaii's largest conservation areas for over 35 years. We feature more than 40 classes a week, including our renowned yoga and meditation programming, Hawaiian culture classes, and dance (hula, modern, and aerial.)Our location on the Big Island of Hawaii is 5 minutes from Kehena Beach, a clothing-optional black sand beach where wild-spinner dolphins frequently swim; 15 miles from spectacular lava-viewing; and nestled in luscious rainforest, which helps feed our organic kitchens with abundant fruit and vegetables. Kalani is known as a power spot - Shiva Rea calls Kalani "one of the most potent and nurturing retreat centers in the world." Kalani is a 501(c)(3) charity. Your stay here will support the preservation of Hawaiian culture, transformation, and within the poorest district in Hawaii. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and Hotel.de so you can book your Kalani reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kalani Oceanside Retreat Pahoa
- Kalani Oceanside Retreat Hotel Pahoa
- Kalani Hawaii/Pahoa