“Couldn't ask for more.”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Rochester, New York
“Couldn't ask for more.”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I had a truly wonderful, magical, healing and transformative experience during my 1 week at Kalani. I was nervous that it would feel too hippy for me, I think, but I ended up really loving everything about the experience. The food was abundant and delicious with tons of options, mostly local foods & very fresh. I loved the communal dining style. My room was very clean and wonderful. The windows are just screens, no glass, but that was fine. The only issue was that everything that was made of paper in my room (my journal, for instance) ended up feeling a little limp by the end of the week from dampness, but nothing ever got wet inside the room. It rained a little every day I was there but was also sunny every day. "The Point" - a spot across the street right at the ocean - is beautiful and so serene. There are tons of classes to choose from each day. I did a different yoga class each day and all the teachers were wonderful & wise. In particular I loved Amma, Maxwell, Jared, Will & Caroline. I also took a Huna Healing class with Stewart and would highly recommend it. He was thoughtful and informative and it was a great experience. There was more internet access than I even had expected - a few different locations around the campus. Cute geckos everywhere. The pool & hot tubs are so relaxing. Be forewarned that most people are nude at the pool, but don't shy away because of that. I wasn't sure if maybe people would be nude EVERYwhere and that was not the case at all. Only by the pool. And everyone is very chill about it. I wore a bathing suit and no one cared about that either. It's a very non judgmental kind of place. I have never felt so supported & loved by a community.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank savemelater

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Stayed in tree house 12 for four nights. Overall I had a great time, the staff was friendly, the grounds were very peaceful and well maintained, and the pool & Jacuzzi area was clean and large. Yes there were 'issues' in the room, such as sleeping without windows just screens, and visitors such as a lizard and a cockroach, and a mean looking wolf-spider guarding the front door, also the bathroom could use a total remodel. And given that I was paying a decent amount of money to stay here, and even though the food was healthy and plentiful, I could be annoyed at having to bus my own plates. However, all of those issues became mostly irrelevant when I focused on the overall spirit of the place. This is a wonderful retreat in the middle of a very rustic, isolated, unspoiled part of the Big Island. A 5 star hotel would be totally out of character here, I didn't expect (or pay for) a 5 star resort and as a result I loved my time here !

Green Features: The resort is the most environmentally friendly place I have ever stayed at ! The rainwater as drinking water option was awesome !
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank SubPsyche
Kauai
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I came for a spiritual program that was good. I don't want quinoa. Some of the food does not taste good. Like to have more vegan choices other than tofu. Difficult to carry the food to the table. Nice they have rice and soy milk available. Grounds are nice. They have a silent eating area but people are talking at that table.

Green Features: good but you have to bus your dishes and its very uncomfortable back there and dirty
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank ViViFlamenco
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed in tree house #12. Wonderful room NOT IN A TREE, but a very nice wooded view of the meadows. Clean. Not enough towels...walk to get extras before 8 pm! Grumpy and rude gal at office refused to hand over fresh towels because it was 8:05pm. Be on time or you will have to deal with nasty rank towels too.
Food was very good, again pricey for what you receive especially breakfast.
Great pool, nice new hot tub, wish jets on hot tubs worked...
Really wonderful massage from Maxwell, slept like a baby that night.
They presented a fun light show one night, 2nd annual illuminati show, lots of trippy LED's all over the lawns and a great dance afterwards. We enjoyed it quite a bit.
Nice retreat but at over $300.00 per night for 2 people I didn't feel it was worth all that.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank grannybud
Coloma, California
Reviewed 8 February 2014

My experience at Kalani was incredible. The volunteers were helpful and friendly and the community dining on the Lanai encouraged us to make friends with other guests. Ecstatic dance classes on Sunday are a MUST as well as watching the sunrise at least once down at the "Point." Accommodations were simple yet comfortable. The property itself was beautiful, lots of plants and trees. A great swimming pool, sauna and hot tubs. A place I hope to return to in the future. Mahalo Kalani for your hard work!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TaraHostnik
The Sea Ranch, California
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Unusual place to take my 3 year old grandson to help celebrate my 65th birthday but it was the perfect choice. Extremely comfortable with the toddler, the staff treated him like royalty.
Wonderful housekeeping staff, excellent food, offered everything we were looking for to just hang out and get to know Hawaii from a non-tourist experience. At Kalani, I feel we experienced the real hawaii, peacefulness, and the entire staff of volunteers are awesome. Highly recommend Kalani to anyone who would like to relax and doesn't need to be entertained. Off the beaten path and a totally awesome place just to relax and get in touch with the beauty of the island. Close to ocean beaches, wonderful pool on site. The management/owners should be complimented for living lightly on the land. We loved our accommodations too, a studio cottage with oversized bath tub! A perfect experience! Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: We stayed in the M-11 cottage. It is perfect hideaway in the trees but with lots of sunshine. As...
Green Features: The entire organization has numerous practices in place from their recycling program and aquaponics gardening and other resorts should emulate Kalani. I found them to be very conscientious about walking gently on the land!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Rae R
St. Helena, California
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I booked a week here after viewing their impressive website, which came across like a high-end yoga retreat. It was a long, un-scenic drive there! Then I was put into a room with plywood floors, a tin roof, and thrift shop furniture. Lamps were broken, fan was broken, only two old pillows and a thin cotton spread on the bed. I paid $280/ night!!! The food was served up mess hall style with folks in hair nets portioning out your food. You were required to bus and rinse your plates. Then it sormed that night, and the noise on the tin roof was so ear-splitting we hardly slept. Plus we were cold since the bedding was so thin, and no extra blankets provided. Thankfully, they refunded our money, but we had to find something else last minute, which was a hassle. Would not recommend it, unless you're a hippie-yoga type, and even then, this place should be priced at around $90/night.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank frameworks62
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pahoa
Chalet Kilauea
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai

Been to Kalani? Share your experiences!