Kalani
US$188
Orbitz.com
US$385
US$289
Volcano House(Hawaii Volcanoes National Park)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsyoga retreatretreat centertreehouse roomcafeteria stylehealthy foodwatsu massagehear everythingkind of placesound of the wavesgluten freevegetarian optionsblack sand beachview of the oceana special placebeautiful groundsevery cornerclasses
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed in Kalani for a week and I didn't want to leave afterwards! Kalani is situated in a beautiful spot, very remote and ideal for just getting away from it all. Food is great and the classes range from yoga and meditation to dance and Hawaiian culture classes. At Kalani everyone is very openminded and friendly and it's very easy to make friends in a short time. I learned a lot about myself and about concous living during my Kalani experience. So, if you're willing to do something good for yourself (and nature) , go to Kalani! =)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Silvana C
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

This area of the Big Island is likely one of the least traveled spots (South of Hilo) and that may be one of the reasons it feels like time has never evolved since the 70s. This retreat center is one of the hippiest places I have been to, and so for some it may sound perfect. For me it was too big of a place with lots of different groups staying at the same time.

It's a bit all over the place, too. In many different regards. There is a big distance between some of the newer buildings of rooms and the main retreat buildings. You could easily have a ten minute walk from one to the other which makes running back to your room for something a twenty min endeavor. There almost seems to be more volunteer staff than guests, and my takeaway was more of their vibe and culture than that of my group's dynamic.

The food is good but not great. You feel like you are being pushed through a line because there is always a line at main meal times.

My room was super rustic and I did not pay a super rustic price. One of my friends was in a super new room and we paid the same price. They give you almost no housekeeping service in a rustic room and the room was so "open air" with screened windows that your stuff just smells musty by the end of the week.

Not surprising to hear that I will not be returning and though if you are a fan of naked drum circles or live the hippy life you will love it. Go to the beach on Sunday for the drum circle naked beach extravaganza.

Stayed: February 2014
11  Thank mmstravels
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My best friend found this resort for our vacation and it was a great mixture of relaxation, socially conscious and fun. The pool was great, the access to different trips and local fare were all phenomenal. As a chef, I found the food to be great and outside the box but they have the best granola I have ever tasted. The fact that give you the opportunity to have a bag lunch to take if you aren't going to be on the grounds is a godsend for budget seekers. I do hate when all your meals are included on a resort but if you go on an excursion you just loose out on your meal .The staff were great and the rooms nice. Be sure to bring a good flashlight and watch out for the wild pigs. A great find.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Aleta W
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This is a premier place for those who want to emerge into nature with like minded people, all co-creating sustainable lifestyle . I arrived for a month of yoga teacher training ( Peak Beings), and what I got was so much more.

At Kalani I got a chance to unplug from the electromagnetic field in LA and breath in the heaven which is Kalani. I entered the magical property and felt at home and at ease. The volunteers greeted us with kindness and joy. The meal times were a highlight , delicious and nutritious. The property grounds are breathtaking and the conversations enlightening. The daily activities a fun for people of all ages and abilities. The pool is clothing optional as well as the nearby black sand beach. The locals can teach you about the fruits and medicine plants, as well as where to go for tide pools and warms ponds. The Mosquitos will get you if you don't take precaution , and the geckos will come in one at a time and eat the Mosquitos so don't be afraid of them. (Red fire ants are something to be aware of as well, super tiny.)

My travel companion was my partner for all the trip and my son for half the trip, my mother joined us for the weekend, and my local friend came for dinner :) I recommend that locals come and spend a day or buy a monthly pool pass and use the steam room and have lunch. My yoga training was everything I wanted it to be in a beautiful setting on a giant wooden yoga platform (screened in). My partner was recovering from multiple spinal surgeries (3 month post op) and found the warm waters of the Watsu pool very healing as well as her therapist being knowledgable and helpful in her healing process (Sylvie). My son learned Hawaiian weaving, beginning areal dancing and beginning fire spinning. He also entertained nightly with his card tricks at the dining patio.

Each night we fell asleep early to the sound of the jungle "purring" in nocturnal delight.

We will return, but for now we will keep that spirit of aloha in our hearts back on the "mainland".
MAHALO.

Room Tip: We stayed in Mauka 14 which is a round bamboo bungalow style. We liked being on the outskirts somewhat, it felt private in our own little back yard type space.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Jillian N
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I loved this place. it is in rugged Hawaii and it's not like internet is smokin fast here, but it makes you slow down and the air is so clean and fresh and there is every beautiful tropical plant and flower growing here. Walking the trails is breathtaking. Not on the beach, more of a jungle feel but beautiful coastal views depending on your cabin, and just up the street is a stunning secluded beach. That was really cool, no signs, just an amazing secluded beach. Pools is very nice, warm. Staff very kind. Bed was nice. We had a lower end but decent lodge room and price was comparable or lower than other stays in Hawaii, and this had nearby food that was very healthy and good tasting, so in that way we didn't end up eating out at different restaurants and we really liked that aspect of it. An unusually peaceful and healthy place. Classes were great, my wife liked Hula the most. We'd really love to return again soon.

Room Tip: cottages are nice, but the shared lodge room we had was quiet and beautiful. They have quiet policy and everyone seemed respectful.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple