My partner and I recently returned from a weeklong stay at Kalani. I had done a lot of research beforehand, including a careful reading of the reviews posted here, and decided the potential benefits outweighed the risks. On the whole, I think I was right...with a few exceptions.
Our treehouse room was just as I had expected...lots of jungle atmosphere, a few bugs and geckos, and a front-row seat for a rather nasty winter storm. When the wind started blowing from the south, the rain soaked the bed and made for a rather interesting night! It was sort of a cross between camping and Club Med.
The facilities and staff were also about as I had expected. Good healthy food, for those of us who are used to eating organic, meatless meals. The folks who work there are generally competent and cheery, with a few surly exceptions. I had a marvellous massage from David! The pool is lovely; the jacuzzi could be better, but that's a minor beef.
My major complaiint is with the organized activities. As others before me have noted, the Director is a charming, spirited man who unfortunately seems to have no head for the practicalities of the job. We went along on an adventure, and I was seriously hurt...in fact, I was almost killed. I'm not a baby, and I am used to a certain level of risk while out in the wild. However, I would have liked more emergency preparation, such as a full first aid kit at the ready. Also, after my mishap the outing continued for several hours while I bled and ached; no one did more than offer me band-aids, and I had to take myself to the clinic in Pahoa the next day for a tetanus shot and antibiotics for my infected foot.
We did love the island, the setting of the Retreat, the yoga classes, and many of the people we met. Would I return? That's a good question I can't answer quite yet!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kalani is the largest retreat center in the state of Hawaii, nestled on the yoga coast in one of Hawaii's largest conservation areas for over 35 years. We feature more than 40 classes a week, including our renowned yoga and meditation programming, Hawaiian culture classes, and dance (hula, modern, and aerial.)Our location on the Big Island of Hawaii is 5 minutes from Kehena Beach, a clothing-optional black sand beach where wild-spinner dolphins frequently swim; 15 miles from spectacular lava-viewing; and nestled in luscious rainforest, which helps feed our organic kitchens with abundant fruit and vegetables. Kalani is known as a power spot - Shiva Rea calls Kalani "one of the most potent and nurturing retreat centers in the world." Kalani is a 501(c)(3) charity. Your stay here will support the preservation of Hawaiian culture, transformation, and within the poorest district in Hawaii. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK) and Evoline ltd so you can book your Kalani reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kalani Oceanside Retreat Pahoa
- Kalani Oceanside Retreat Hotel Pahoa
- Kalani Hawaii/Pahoa