“Love, love, love this place”
Review of Sukothai Restaurant - CLOSED

Sukothai Restaurant
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 January 2012

there are two Thai places in town. Choose this one, you will not regret it. We know our Thai food and this is some of the best anywhere. Plus the service was personal and wonderful. We actually got some of our best recommendations for sites to see from the staff. Order anything and everything and come back often (we did).

1  Thank Seattle_Traveler1977

Reviewed 19 January 2012

I can't understand how this ranks fourth of the restaurants in Pahoa. I've eaten at them all many times, and Sukothai is by far the best. The food is outstanding. The woman who owns it is a very nice person and she is Thai, so the food is authentic. She's not only a great cook, she will make any kind of substitution you ask for, which is nice if you're gluten free, vegetarian or have food allergies. She uses high quality ingredients, unlike several of the other dining places in town. The kitchen is small and every meal is prepared when you order it, so expect to wait a while for your food. It's worth it: farm fresh produce prepared with skill takes time. YUMMY!

2  Thank DeepOceanSwimmer
Reviewed 20 December 2011

maybe other reviewer have never eaten at a thai restaurant but this is not a 5 star thai restaurant. the food is a bit above average but not necessarily a place to write home about. service is ok. its a byob place but you can walk about 100 feet and buy some beer. they will make your food as spicy as you like but some of these recipes have been adapted to the big island and i didnt recognize the soup or entree or something i had eaten at a thai restaurant before. would i go backk yes, but again not a spectatcular place but options tend to be limited in pahoa.

Reviewed 20 October 2011

I had one of the best meals of my life here: red curry pineapple shrimp, medium spicey. Sweet, flavorful, absolutely perfect, and served with a smile. At a glance, you may not anticipate such a wonderful experience awaits inside this restaurant, but if you are in Hilo, or Kapaho, it's very worth the drive to Pahoa. I wish all vacation meals were such a delightful surprise.

1  Thank WheresMyBackpack
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I think the business really shines in customer service. I've seen some Yelp reviewers complain of this, but we were their last customer, and they did not rush us at all and were all smiles and coversations. The restaurant is run by a very old lady and her daughter. I think the mother did most of the cooking. We ordered the pineapple fried rice and the penang curry with tofu. The rice was very good. I've never gotten mine to quite come out like theirs. We figured you can't go wrong ordering that in HI. The Penang curry is too peanut buttery. It doesn't taste bad at all, but not exactly what we were hoping for. This place is open later than the other Thai restaurant in town. Do please give it a try.

2  Thank lilorchid82