“Great food, very slow service”

Kaleo's Bar & Grill
Ranked #1 of 36 Restaurants in Pahoa
Price range: US$1 - US$25
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
“Great food, very slow service”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We stopped in here on our way back to our place in Volcano. We were directed to a parking spot which was great. We walked in and noted it was busy but not crowded. We didn't want to sit inside so chose the outside "patio". Someone came right away to fill our water glasses and were told that Lani, our server would be right with us. Well, we waited for Lani for quite some time. After making eye contact with the water guy a couple times, we still didn't get a server. After about 20 mins, I decided to find our elusive server and she said she would be right over. She was flustered but took our drink orders. We waited about 10 mins for our drinks. After this, the service got better.. We ordered Food which came very quickly. The food was amazing! My husband had the Beef tenderloin and I had the seared Ahi. Both dishes were prepared to perfection and we forgot all about the slow service experience completely.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Tracybiker69

• Korean first
Fallbrook, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Taste every flavor in the dish like a fine glass of wine”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I stayed for a week in the local Pahoa area while visiting family. Coming from southern California where the quality and flare of local restaurants are in abundance, we were surprised to find the magic of Kaleo’s in Pahoa.We couldn’t help returning throughout our visit and was surprised by the Aloha each visit. While I didn’t get to try everything (wish I had more time) I did taste the cocoanut shrimp, Orzo florentine salad, Kalua pork wontons and Ono fish. I could taste each ingredient in the dish like a fine wine. I was surprised at the beauty of the Hawaiian musicians. I loved watching the Hawaiian singer hula dance. The graceful owner even took her turn at a hula dance. So moving. Nice to see a place where everyone treats you like you are a priceless guest.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Paula C
Ottawa, Canada
“Great lunch !”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We had coconut shrimp, Cobb salad and Mahi wrap. Couple of Kona Big Wave beers to compliment a great meal. All very reasonably priced with good service !

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Rob C
Newport Beach, California
“Fantastic Find”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Kaleo's made me extremely happy. I do not usually eat fish, but I went with the ono, and it was superb, as was the beer. The mix of people, from families to cyclists to beach folks, was amusing, and the service excellent. It was clean and relaxing and enjoyable. I too would eat here frequently if I lived in the area. Super place and should be a must try if you are anywhere near the eastern end of the island.

• Visited August 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nom nom nom”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I never write reviews. And I'm not even done with my meal here yet. I stumbled upon this place while killing time before heading to the airport. Traveling solo, so I sat at the bar. The bartender and the owner were scrambling behind the bar but they were both so kind. I had a pomegranate margarita and the poke - omg and omg. The owner brought me an orzo salad that was mistakenly made. It was delish. Do I really need to go home or can I just park here at this bar drinking fantastically masterful cocktails and devouring amazing fresh delish food forever?!

1 Thank Julianne H