“Great Lava viewing”

Lava Ocean Tours Inc
Ranked #2 of 14 Tours in Pahoa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Lava Ocean Tours is your exclusive way Explore the Hilo side of Big Island. View volcanic activity on our boat & hikes to see the LAVA. Our state of the art vessels are modern aluminum catamarans including the "Lavaone" 49 passenger 40x14 catamaran powered by 4 Honda 250hp motors. Whether lava is flowing on the land or sea we will get you to the closet viewing point safely possible. We also offer the Ultimate Boat Waterfall Tours departing Hilo to see over 30+ boat only waterfalls and dolphins in uncrowded waters. During Hawaii Whale Season (Dec-Apr) enjoy whale watching in Hilo Bay and surrounding waters on an intimate ocean cruise. Our tours include Lava Boat Tours, Guided Lava Hikes, Volcano Boat Tours, Waterfall & Dolphin Tours, Charter Fishing, Hilo Whale Watching and Private Tours.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Baby buggy parking, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Our family (5 adults) went on a pre-sunrise, lava viewing trip on Aug. 9, 2013. After having a little difficulty finding the park we arrived just as attendance was being taken so made it just in time to hear the safety presentation. My husband and I sat in the back of the boat (better spot for smoother ride) and the rest of our family (all adults) all sat in the very front seat (rough spot). On the way to the volcano my husband and I were constantly getting drenched but that wasn't a problem as we had on foul weather jackets and pants. The seas were very calm according to our captain and none of us had any seasick issues. Once we got to the volcano the viewing of the lava was absolutely INCREDIBLE!!! Yes, it is a pricey activity but completely worth it- what an amazing experience to see lava flowing into the water. We spent time on 3 Hawaiian islands and this was the highlight of our trip for all of us. If you're going to Hawaii to see the volcano this is the way to see it being active. Going out before sunrise allowed us to view the volcano in the dark, see the sun rise and then to view the lava/volcano in daylight. This allowed for a great variety of lighting for photographing and viewing the volcano. This is a MUST DO activity if you're going to Hawaii.
Family from Maryland

1  Thank Julie G
LavaOcean, Manager at Lava Ocean Tours Inc, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Came for an adventure & an adventure you had, Mahalo for your review

Reviewed 17 August 2013

I cannot recommend this tour to anyone. It is dangerous and not safe at all and it left me with a very sad and bad memory – a severely and permanently injured back. We went on the early morning tour and it was black as in a sack and one of the first surfs was so high and steep and the landing on my back was harder than anything I ever experienced. I completed the tour however but with pains that was beyond what I have ever had before in my life. At the hospital I was diagnosed with a vertebral compression fracture on one of the vertebraes (one inch) which furthermore has caused paralytic symptoms from the nerves involved. I was on sick leave and put on strong painkillers (morfin) for several weeks and still, five months after the tour, I need different painkilling treatments every day to have a reasonable life. The pain affect my life quality and has intruded on my work and social life with friends and family.
Before leaving the shore I signed a paper to ensure that I, among other things, did not have any spinal problems. I didn’t have any problem to sign that as I have always had a very strong back. I have never ever had any problems at all. When the accident happened I was in very good shape, strong and well trained. I have been training for as long as I can remember, so I know my body and its limits – and it has never, ever been my back. Me and my husband are furthermore experienced mountain hikers and used to extreme hardships spending weeks in for example the Nordic wilderness with all what it takes of rough terrain and hard weather conditions.
The service level from the crew at the boat was furthermore nil – or below if that is possible. After the accident had happened, I asked for a glass of water to swallow an aspirin that I had brought, the assistant at the boat gave me the water but threw a rude comment directly in my face like “what are you doing on this boat if you have a bad back”. No one in the crew ever returned to ask how I felt. Of course, that shouldn’t have helped my injured back – but I would have felt that they at least cared a little about their passengers.

20  Thank GunnelM
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This was a phenomenal experience!! We read reviews on TripAdvisor prior to booking and were a little hesitant. DO NOT LET THE BAD REVIEWS SCARE YOU!!! BUT YOU DO NEED TO BE PREPARED TO GET WET AND TO BE IN ROUGH SEAS!!! Your electronics should be kept in a Ziploc bag. Bring a change of clothes with you because you WILL get SOAKED. One lady on our tour wore a wetsuit, which was a brilliant idea in my opinion! I get seasick, so I took 3 Bonines on the days leading up to the trip and I was fine. The website and crew give you plenty of warning about what to expect, so you can decide not to go if you think it isn't for you...but you would be missing out if you didn't go! It was worth every penny! We went on March 30, 2013 on the 9pm tour. If you are coming from the Kona side of the island, make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get there because it was a long drive. We made a whole day adventure out of it and enjoyed visiting the Hilo side of the island for the whole afternoon/evening leading up to the tour. I have to admit-some parts of the operation seemed sketchy (meeting by the yellow bathroom building in a parking lot *yes they were a little late-it's island time!*, boarding the boat that's on a trailer attached to a pickup truck, etc), but Capt Shane and crew know exactly what they're doing! The ride was about 30 minutes out to the lava and it seemed like we stayed there FOREVER! We got to view the lava for at least 30 minutes and then it was about a 30 minute ride back. If you have lower back problems or any sort of injury, I wouldn't recommend this tour because it is bumpy and rough (just as their website says!). Capt Shane got SOOOO close to the lava it was breathtaking (and he was completely in control). He also made multiple passes on both sides of the boat so everyone could get their camera shots. The lava was so gorgeous at night. I would do this again in a heartbeat! THANK YOU CAPTAIN SHANE AND CREW!

LavaOcean, Manager at Lava Ocean Tours Inc, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Glad we would share this incredible adventure with you mahalo for your review

Reviewed 15 August 2013

We got on board this morning with Captain Shane. He was very profesional, gave us all the informations we needed. We felt safe in his boat. Very awesome crew, always to answer your questions, and giving infos on the lava and volcanoes.
The ride itself was worth the price. Going through the huge waves, watching them crash on the beautiful coast of Hawaii, what an amazing view we had. I wouldn't recommend it if you tend to be seasick. It's a rough ride, going up and down, sudden hard drop, but very fun!
To top it off, we got very close to the lava, we could feel the heat and smell the sulfure. Such an epic view to watch land being created in front of your eyes. We had lots of opportunities to take pictures.
Great crew, awesome captain, epic view, unforgettable moment! Totally worth it!

Yes it is an extreme ocean tour as you described glad you were up for the tour and got the adventure you came to experience.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

We took the evening tour to view the lava flow. The show was amazing. The captain Sky made sure everyone had a great view and the experience was wonderful.

Mahalo for your review will commend Capt Sky for a tour well done