“privacy in Hawaii”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ben Lomond
“privacy in Hawaii”
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I recently stayed at the Ohia House Bed and Breakfast with my boyfriend in October of 2011. I was a very nice private room, the property is beautiful. Cindy and Rick were amazing hosts. Cindy did a wonderful job with home made breakfast. I will for sure be coming back soon.

Room Tip: This bed and breakfast only has one room so it is all yours.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Santa Cruz, Ca
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I completely enjoyed my stay at the Ohia House B&B!! The room was SO relaxing and clean. The bed was luxurious to sleep in. There is a mini fridge, microwave, snorkel mask/snorkel, extra towels, coffee maker/tea available. The room has extra space with a couch and desk. The bathroom was very private and you can tell the owners of the Ohia house have excellent taste. The salt water pool is extremely inviting- I enjoyed swimming laps! The frogs and the rain were so soothing to listen to at night while sleeping. The huge screened in porch area is a great extension of the room where I enjoyed relaxing mosquito free, listening to rain storms, reading and eating AMAZING breakfasts! The fact that there is only one B&B accommodation means that you are spoiled rotten. Cindy knows just what to recommend when planning your day trips. She gave me excellent advice about visiting nearby volcano national park, the town of volcano for lunch and going back for a hike and nighttime viewing. She can direct you to the hot ponds, black sand beach with giant turtles, tide pools and a great surfing site (Rick will probably elaborate on this one!). They can also recommend great restaurants and local secrets! I will definitely be recommending Ohia B&B to all my friends and family. I can't wait for my next trip back to Ohia house.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Flin Flon, Canada
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We absolutely loved our stay at Ohia House. Cindy and Rick were most helpful in recommending activities to fill our days. Breakfast was always bountiful, delicious, varied, and usually included fresh fruits, grown on property. Bed was extremely comfortable and we enjoyed being serenaded to sleep by the frogs. The home is in a garden setting, with a wide variety of fragrant blooming trees and shrubs, not to mention the numerous orchids. We highly recommend and will return.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We loved our stay with Cindy and Rick. They greeted as we pulled into the driveway. It was like having our own cute studio in SF. The room as has a microwave, small refrigerator and a coffee maker. Cindy aslo has looks of beach and snorkel gear. The pool in the back is sweet! Once we were settled Cindy told us about all the activities(loved the warming pool) and restaurants(Kaleo's was excellent). We retired and enjoyed the sounds only to awake to a magnificent breakfast.....french toast, coffee, juice, incredible fruits!

I almost forgot.....we were traveling with my boyfriends daughter(she's 13) and the room was big enough for us all. She slept on the couch but didn't mind a bit. Cindy made sure there was extra blankets and towels(you know how teenagers are :) All in all we would definitely return and stay with them again!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Tabatha F
Hesperia, California
Reviewed 6 September 2011

I really enjoyed my time at Ohia. Cindy and Rick are gracious hosts, and the location is beautiful. It is quite and secluded, but not too far from Pahoa and also convenient to Volcanoes Natl Park. The room was spacious, with a small fridge and micro, beach towels, and even snorkel gear! Breakfast was definitely a highlight - Cindy puts out a wonderful spread on the lanai. I was there four nights, and every morning breakfast was yummy. I would very much recommend Ohia to anyone who wants to have a beautiful and relaxing base to see the Big Island.

Room Tip: There is only one room, which makes this B&B a great experience even for people that may not usu...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 6 June 2011

We enjoyed our 5 night stay at Ohia House in Puna, a very flat, green part of the island south of Hilo, and not too far from the volcano. Ohia House has only one room for rent, so you will have privacy, surrounded by forest filled with the sound of frogs at night. The house is newer and everything was fresh and thoughtfully arranged. Cindy and Rick, the proprietors, kept a low profile. However they were there when we needed something. Cindy made a distinctive and tasty breakfast each morning and served it on the private lanai. Over coffee she inquired about our plan for the day and always made very helpful suggestions. She did research online to answer my query about how we could visit Champagne Pond. (Be sure to make an effort to visit this fabulous thermally heated tidal pool.) I really like the Puna area, a hippie, dippy part of the island famous for its Puna Butter, the locally grown pakalolo, nude blacksandbeach, recent lava flows and many thermally heated tidal pools. Ohia House also suited my taste for its privacy, value and quality. I would recommend it and I would stay there again, definitely.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I was here for work rather than play but what a wonderful place. The hosts are so accommodating and kind, I can't imagine ever staying in a hotel in the area again. It's a beautiful location, peaceful, clean, and comfortable with every amenity you could ever need. Get there during the day so you can find it, it's nestled in the woods.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pahoa
Chalet Kilauea
The Kimos' Ohanas
The Kimos' Ohanas
#3 of 17 in Pahoa
The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls

Been to The Ohia House? Share your experiences!