To best appreciate Hedonisia I recommend one staying for a while. I have stayed here twice. Once for one month and the next year for three months. I am an experienced traveler and there are few places I have been with such a positive and relaxed atmosphere
The property itself is beautiful. There are a diverse plethora of tropical plants, an ocean view from the hill trail, a bottomless lava tube, a crater, and volunteer created artwork covering the common area and many of the accommodations. The accommodations are all different. Ranging from budget camping to a full house. Most of the structures are built from recycled material and/or locally harvested guava and bamboo. My favorite accommodation is the crater hut. It is one of the most private and scenic locations on the property.
What really sets Hedonisia apart is the community of volunteers. People who are staying a while may volunteer in exchange for a discounted rate. At any given time at least half of guests are staying as volunteers. Hedonisia attracts interesting and amazing people from all over the world. Most of them are young, friendly, and adventurous. The owner takes an active part in the community and helps to cultivate a positive environment.
There are many local attractions. The beach is just down the road. There are warm ponds and sauna vents. Volcano park is about an hour away. The actual lava flows are very close by. If you are interested I recommend checking out the website to get a better sense of the place
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since our humble beginnings as a scrapyard we have slowly evolved into the Hedonisia Hawaii Sustainable Community Rainforest Retreat hosting eco-tourists from all over the world.As a sustainable community we offer a number of programs whereby travelers and ecofriendly tourists can enjoy an educational and relaxing vacation in paradise.Here are the main volunteer, eco-tourist and educational programs we offer at Hedonisia Hawaii:1 - Affordable Rainforest Eco-Tourist Lodgings2 - Sustainable Community Manager Apprenticeship 3 - Hedonisia Hawaii Fair-Trade Volunteer Program4 - Social Change Research Internship5 - Wordpress Website Developer Tech Internship6 - Sustainable Community Development & Social Enterprise WorkshopThank you and we look forward to seeing you in Hawaii . Aloha! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Odigeo, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Hedonisia Hawaii Sustainable Community reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hedonisia Hawaii Eco Hotel Pahoa
- Hedonisia Hawaii Sustainable Community Pahoa