“Excellent Communication throughout”

39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Excellent Communication throughout”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

What impressed me was - I was due to go on a dawn Lava boat triip - specifically to do some photography of the lava entering the sea.

These were professional enough to email me to tell me that the lava had stopped and what did I want to do. Other boats companies were still taking people out under the pretext of lava into the sea.

How professional and how honest were they........would use them again and again and again when the opportunity arises.

Pity it didnt happen this time ......but big and I mean a big thank you to captain Star for his customer service

Visited September 2013
13 Thank Jaktam

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Gene makes the trip fabulous”
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

We had a group of 6 and did the 5 am ride. We got in the boat in the lot and drove us to the water we went with a full moon. Great ride out to the lava flows. Amazing. Where else can you see this. Then the sun rose and it to was beautiful. Gene and his crewmen are experienced and longtime boaters. The boat seats 7. Great choice. I highly recommend them. You won't be disappointed

4 Thank Loryfinno
Richmond, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“great way to get close to the lava”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Aug 4, 2013 - it was an early morning, but we were fortunate because the skies were clear and the water was pretty calm. Capt. Gene got us on the boat quickly, and we were off. He wasn't very talkative, but his first mate spoke with us on the ride out about what we were seeing on the coast. He was interesting and informative. The lava was flowing pretty well, and we were able to stay for a good amount of time. I was impressed with Capt. Gene's ability to keep us close to the lava without crashing us on the rocks. At no time did we worry about our safety, but we did marvel at the lava flowing out into the water. The steam was amazing, too. On the way back we saw several flying fish - also amazing. We would have enjoyed hearing more about the area on the way back, but I must admit that we were pretty quiet ourselves. We'd seen surface flow on a previous trip, and this was an interesting and beautiful way to see it again. We got some really nice pics.

5 Thank P H
Arlington, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“An incredible experience”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

This was a truly incredible experience, and Captain Gene and his one-man crew made it even better. The price was reasonable compared to competitors and a better value than we could have imagined based on what we actually experienced. We set out before dawn, just me, my wife, and our two kids (12 and 8). The boat could take two or three more. The stars were magnificent until the sun began to rise (sunrise in the middle of the Pacific is a treat in itself). My wife spotted a flying fish sailing above the water next to the boat. Later we saw another--I couldn't believe the sight as it sailed along next to us for what might have been 4 or 5 seconds. I didn't catch the first mate's name, but he told us about the various lava flows and features along the shore, including hikes we could do and places we could see. We were worried that the lava flow would be small and unimpressive, but we were wrong to worry. There were six major (say footwide?) flows and several other smaller ones. You see the tip of the earth's forge. Unbelievable. And Gene took us in close, seemed like less than a boat length away at points, maneuvering around to maximize viewing but staying safely away from the fumes and the explosions of lava rock generated by big waves. The crew indulged us by taking a lot of family pictures. We stayed twice as long as the boat that arrived after us. We headed back closer to the coast and saw that second flying fish I mentioned, and as we were approaching the harbor, we saw a pod of spinner dolphins. Gene stopped and let the dolphins swim to us. They swam around us and a few put on a show, splashing the water with their tails. All in all, not a bad way to start your day.

4 Thank MDL828
Wilmington, North Carolina
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Worth the $$”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Capt Gene & 1st mate were great! Boat was built for just what it does. Seats were comfortable & it carries a small group, everyone gets to see. Of the 3 or 4 boats out at sunset we got to the lava 1st, stayed the longest & got closest to the lava flows. We were very pleased & felt it was well worth it. We highly recommend Gene's Lava boat tours!

Visited July 2013