“most amazing thing you will ever experience”
Review of David Ewing Lava Walking Tours - CLOSED

David Ewing Lava Walking Tours
Sydney, Australia
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“most amazing thing you will ever experience”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This was so different and amazing from start to finish David is great and our guide Skyler gave you the confidence to get back in the dark.The lava itself is so hot and you just have to go and do this its not easy but following in Skylers footsteps made it much easier a really once in a lifetime experience

Visited September 2013
1 Thank blamon

Fort Worth, Texas
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Excellent but difficult”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

You will most likely be sore the next day. Almost no one is used to walking over the terrain that is necessary to get to the magma.

But boy is it worth it!

My wife and I consider it one of the top ten things we've ever done. Guides were patient and very kind. It was a very grueling hike - make no mistake.

But for us the payoff was well worth it. We got to play with lava! Who can say that?

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Dalpokes
Woodland, California
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Big Island Must”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

This was on my bucket list to do, see hot lava up close & personal. I was having a hard time deciding which way to see it, by boat or by walking out to it & I'm so glad I choose to walk out to it. We took the tour that started about 1 1/2 hrs before sunset so we got out to the lava just as the sun started to go down. AMAZING it was , no words can describe the beauty & tranquility you see & feel watching ground being made right before your eyes. You get to stay for about an hour or more & also see it going into the ocean, which is way cool to, be for us the best part was watching it flow like honey towards you and feeling the intense heat coming off of it. They will provide you with water and flash lights. Make sure to wear long pants and tennis shoes at least so if you do fall down you will not get cut quite so bad. There was 2 people who fell when we went out & they got cut up pretty bad.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank walkingnsunshine
Huntington Beach, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Not what I expected...”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

So I was more nervous about this walk than any other activity on the island -- I was expecting spewing, splashing lava, noxious fumes, craggy, razor-sharp lava shards just waiting to cut me up, and vast fields of oven-hot, thin-crusted lava ready to just give way under my feet (funny I still wanted to go, though). Plus, I have some back problems that long walks seem to exacerbate. But it turned out to be way less treacherous (yet even more amazing) than I imagined.

David didn't lead the walk that night, but a young guy named Skyler (Schuyler?) did. He said he had done this walk over a hundred times and assured me that my fears were unfounded. The hike out across the field wasn't too bad and it was really cool to see the different lava formations. We were able to see a leeeetle bit of lava flowing near the oceanside. I didn't see any actually fall in, though. There were several boats hanging out there, waiting for the flow. I hope they were able to see something interesting on that side.

We then took a turn and walked over to an area where the lava had recently broken through and caused some surface flow. It was almost dusk and there were already quite a few other lava-seekers gathered near the site. After the sun set, we were able to see the total effect of the glowing lava! Oh man, it was a near full moon night and the red, hot lava was just OOOZING and gloomping and flowing out of crevices all over the place!!! It was totally mesmerizing! We were able to stay for good long while before heading back.

Now the walk back -- it seemed really lonnnnnng -- still, I would've liked the group to have gone a bit slower, as I kept lagging behind and they had to keep stopping to wait for me. But it was ok and we got back at around 9:30pm, just as planned.

This was definitely one of my Top 2 amazing experiences/sites/activities on the Big Island (and probably even one of my TOP 10 anywhere)! We were thankful for being blessed with such an exceptional experience!!

Visited August 2013
2 Thank McBeanOC
Boston, Massachusetts
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“A once in a lifetime chance”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

If you want to see lava while you are on the Big Island- you won't currently find it in the Hawaii Volcano National Park. The flow is currently outside the park. You can visit it by hiking their. David Ewing is a guide whose house is right on the lava flow. He is extremely knowledgable. You can attempt to find the flow from the public view area- but it is not wise. It is a 2 mile hike and there is no real way to track your route. Far better to spend the money. Yes it is pricey, but when you consider you are hiking for 4-5 hours- it really becomes a bit more reasonable-sort of. The hike leaves from his house- which if you are in HVNP you should allow at least 45 minutes travel time. You should definately wear SNEAKERS or HIKING BOOTS- the lava is sharp and you have to scramble over it. Pants and gloves will help protect you if you fall. The pace is moderate but he does have an assistant who will move slower. I found this helpful as climbing around rocks is not my thing. You stop many times for him to talk about the flows and the changes to the land. Bring at least 2-3 liters of water. As you move along you will find your feet get hot- and guess what- you are standing over the lava tube. We were very fortunate that the lava tube was putting out lava on the surface- we were able to poke at it and make it flare up and get such a sense of what was running in volumes under our feet (and boy do your feet get hot!). You can feel the heat radiating all around. We then journeyed to the coastline and watched the lava flow into the ocean. That was truly a magnificent site- new land being formed right before our eyes. If you have ever seen a nat. geo documentary on lava pouring into the ocean- this is exactly what it looks like. You stay until dark so you can really see the changes in the color and intenstity. You hike back in a single line via flashlight and the stars. Remember if you are looking up at the stars to stop so you don't trip and fall. The walk out is shorter because of a direct route. This is something that you just can not see anywhere else and in that perspective the 100$ is really pretty good. David runs a fantastic operation- and has plenty of safety back up for slips and falls.

Visited August 2013