“A vacation stay that reminds you who you are!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hale Moana Bed & Breakfast

Hale Moana Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 17 Pahoa B&B and Inns
“A vacation stay that reminds you who you are!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Usually when you book a trip you're either trying to get away from it all or become immersed. Very rarely do these polar opposites every intact, much less co-mingle. Yet, at Hale Moana, that's preciously the case. Within my suite, I had the world to myself. I caught up on work, dealt with life's current situations and withdrew from the world. The kitchenette inside my suite and the incredible neighborhood farmers market on the weekend enabled my withdrawal into a retreat of solitude. Yet, outside my door was life and relationship. And when I chose to interact with it, there was a fresh, delicious breakfast in the morning and an opportunity to talk with the other guests. Petra generously provided information and brochures on countless nearby activities and destinations. The neighboring beaches are stunning, the lava fields incredible and even just remembering the food in the local restaurants makes my mouth water in delight. But mostly, it was the gardens on the property that called my name. Gorgeous and unique, I spent hours with the amazing varieties of Hawaii's unique flowers and fauna, capturing sights and smells, my camera clicking away but failing to capture the heady intoxication they brought to my senses. Alone, with people, or enveloped into nature, my time in Hale Moana brought my back home and reintroduced me to myself. And, isn't that what vacation is all about?

• Stayed April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at Hale Moana for two nights as part of our honeymoon in May 2014. For my wife and I, this was our first stay at a bed and breakfast, so we didn’t know what to expect upon arriving.

Our plan on our honeymoon was that we flew into Hilo, spend two nights on the East side of the island and work our way over to Kona. We spent a full day at Volcano National Park and exploring the Puna region. This was a great place to come back and crash after a long day of hiking around the park.

The breakfast meals were great along with the conversation with Petra (the hostess). Petra was very knowledgeable of the island and gave us great advice on some things to check out.

The room itself was clean and had all the amities we needed. One thing to note is that our unit did not have A/C. It does get pretty warm and humid during the day but it does cool down at night so sleeping was not a problem. It also only rained during the night while we were there so although it does get pretty wet, it never affected our day time plans.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I needed a vacation. I needed something quiet, wet, Hawaiian. I landed at the Hale Moana quite by accident. My original B&B selection cancelled my reservation while I was on the plane flying in from the mainland! Funny how some accidents can turn out to be wonderful surprises. The grounds are huge (2 acres), green, full of birds (supplanted by coqui frogs at night), and even a local cat or two. The breakfasts were yummy, eggs, pancakes (German pancakes!) hot coffee, wonderful fresh fruits. Ample parking located just to the side of the property and easy to get to. The location is out in an area called Leilani Estates, just a few miles up the road from Pahoa proper. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed the stay, the friendliness of the host, Petra, and just everything about this place. Her boy even helped me with my bags! I stayed here five nights, and thanks to Petra, found my way to the old Red Road the first day. What a find! If you're considering a stay in old Hawaii, I can't say enough wonderful things about Hale Moana. I stayed up in the Lanai Suite - overkill for me, a single traveller, but I'll take it. Allowed me plenty of room to stretch out, and even make my own coffee before the 8:30 breakfast. Fully stocked kitchen made in-room meals easy. Mahalo, Petra. Mahalo.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I had really high hopes when I booked this, but in the end I was a little disappointed with a few things. To start with, it is located a bit far from anything, tucked into the Southeast (Puna) corner of Hawaii. The closest town is Pahua (about 5 minutes away), which has a few restaurants, grocery stores and a gas station. Hilo is least 35-40 minutes away. It is convenient for visiting Volcano National Park, which is about 30 minutes away. A couple of issues: (1) I had limited cell coverage in/around the house area, which was a little frustrating when I wanted to get information on activities in the area, (2) if you are a light sleeper, be aware that there are large numbers of coqui frogs in this area and they can be really loud at night, (3) breakfast is only served at 8:30am, which can be a little late if you want to get an early start.

On the plus side, breakfast was delicious and wonderfully prepared. The host is also very friendly and very knowledgeable about all local activities. I stayed in the Makamae Studio, which is really only suitable for one person. I think two people will certainly feel crowded in this room and in the bathroom, which is really small (with the tiniest sink I've ever seen). Further, since it sits on the ground floor, you can easily hear other guests that are in the upstairs rooms. Parking is available a short distance from the main house, but note that the path over the lawn can be muddy if it rains. Overall, it is a nice place to stay with a great breakfast, but the limitations I've noted mean Hale Moana may not be suitable for everyone.

Pros: breakfast, great hospitality, secluded garden setting

Cons: distant location, frogs at night, cell coverage, breakfast timing

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank EisBaer
HaleMoana, Owner at Hale Moana Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Reader and Visitor,

I appreciate the feedback from my guests greatly and am very thankful for the opportunity to respond to this review:

Hale Moana Bed & Breakfast offers 3 suites and one studio. The suites vary in size and all have kitchens and dining/living room/sitting area. All, including the studio have king size beds, flat screen TVs, private bathrooms and separate entrances. The Studio offers a coffee station and refrigerator with coffee/tea supplied in the room. It is a nicely appointed room, however smaller than the suites, which is also reflected in the rate. The rates for our accommodations range from $110 - $170 per night plus tax for double occupancy, which includes a full breakfast buffet, free WiFi, free laundry facilities, use of BBQ and all outdoor sitting areas, snorkels & masks, itinerary planning, discounts to local restaurants and many other amenities. Excellent cell phone coverage is provided through Verizon, however, a land line is available to our guests if needed as well. When you are traveling to the Big Island you will encounter spotty cell phone coverage in many areas depending on your carrier. Coqui frogs are a fact of life along the entire east side of the island - it is part of the tropical environment. Pahoa is not a metropolitan area, however, this area offers one of the most authentic and commercially undeveloped spots in all of Hawaii. Puna's beautiful coastline with great snorkeling in the Kapoho tidepools, swimming in the thermally heated hot ponds, pristine tropical lushness, black sand beaches, lava flows and much history are to be found just moments from here. The Hale Moana Bed & Breakfast is centrally located between Hilo and the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (30 minutes), the Puna coast is 10 minutes and Pahoa 5 minutes from here.

The guests in this review decided to reserve the Studio as the least expensive option. Other larger suites were available at the time they made their reservation. They enjoyed all the amenities, including taking advantage of the free laundry facility, etc.

The level of service here at Hale Moana Bed & Breakfast is excellent as is clearly documented in many of the comments and reviews, including many visitors who stayed in the Studio.

I am proud to provide great service to my guests and to share this wonderful place and the area around us: The beauty of the people, land, places, local culture and Aloha - that's what you will find here. Come and look at it yourself!

Much Aloha and many blessings,

Petra Wiesenbauer
Owner
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

My friend and I chose hale moana because of the great tripadvisor reviews and because they had a kitchenette in the room.

Pahoa is the 'real' Hawaii, near the rainforest and our goal was the Maku'u farmers market and the Hilo farmers market. We thought we might want to cook something.

We found the accomodations modern, clean and spacious. the beds were excellent, the grounds immaculate and beautiful.

Petra, the owner, was very knowledgeable and helpful directing us to local attractions and sights that were exactly what we were looking for.

The breakfast each morning was delicious, local and plenty.

I look forward to my next trip to big island and will happily stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Bothell, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for four nights in April and if we'd dreamed up an idea of what we wanted I don't think that we could have improved upon our experience. The owner, Petra, was wonderful and welcoming throughout our stay.

We stayed in the Pualani Suite, which we were told was added on to the property pretty recently. It only shared one partial wall with other guests, and the connecting wall was through the shower/kitchenette area, so it felt like it didn't share any walls at all. Surrounding us on all sides were views of the garden and grounds. The hardwood floors kept it cool, as did the windows all around. The king-sized bed was very comfortable and the bed-spread that she picked for it was obviously chosen for warm, Hawaiian nights. We didn't find ourselves waking up baking and kicking it off in the middle of the night. The kitchenette was very handy-- just a small refrigerator, sink, microwave, toaster, and counter-space, but plenty of dishes. So we were able to store and heat-up left-overs, cut up fruit from the farmers' market, and chill our water bottles for the next day. The bathroom had plenty of extra towels, but Petra still came by halfway through our stay to replace what we'd used. We felt very comfortable the whole time.

The atmosphere of the grounds was amazing. Petra is obviously a thoughtful gardener-- there are lots of interesting local flowering plants, shrubs, and trees all around, which encourages the local wildlife to hang out. It was beautiful, tropical, lush (without being messy), and interesting. Some of the fruit growing around the grounds-- strawberry guava and pineapples-- made it to the breakfast table! At night, the sounds of the tree frogs was intense, beautiful, and loud! We thought it might keep us up, but were surprised to find that it creates a sort of "white-noise" effect and we were able to sleep just fine. And obviously, being on the Hilo side of the island, just outside of the small town of Pahoa, the rains came down in short but amazingly strong bursts, which were fun to listen to.

Breakfast time was really what made our stay. The food was fresh and excellent. Petra asked us when we checked in if we had any dietary restrictions (we don't) and I'm sure she would have adjusted to suit our needs. There was always a different main dish-- in our case, the first morning we had banana pancakes cooked German-style (our absolute favorite), the second morning we had eggs with fresh veggies cooked in, the third day we had french toast, and the fourth day we had a delicious bread pudding. Also available daily were bread with jam and butter, cereal and milk, a large assortment of tropical fruits (some of which, as I said, were from the property itself), coffee, tea, and fresh juice. All of this dining occurs in a beautiful screened sun-room.

If all of this isn't enough to convince you to stay here, then Petra should be what sways you. She spends time at breakfast with each and every guest and genuinely wants to hear about your plans. If you don't have plans, she can really help. She was able to tell us about a great many little local gems in the area-- some lava pools for snorkeling, all of the beaches and coastal roads, notable parks, where to eat, what to stop at on drives, etc. She loaned us her maps, which were highlighted and very helpful and put our guide book to shame. She loaned us her snorkeling masks, too, so we didn't have to rent or buy them. She did not just do this for us-- she did this for absolutely everyone-- as much or as little as they wanted. She was so knowledgeable and so kind. I cannot imagine that any hotel concierge could ever come close!

I could go on and on. This place is great for couples, for families with children, or a single person.

Come and stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

Normally our travels are not geared towards the local B&B market because it is usually late when you arrive and mostly too late to make any other plans. This time we had a very pleasant surprise. The Hale Moana B&B in the Pahoa region was in our opinion all it advertised to be and then some. The property is super clean and has a certain European flavor when it comes to specific details. Petra, the host, knows how to present an outstanding breakfast and how to make you feel welcome. If your travel plans take you to this part of the Big Island we totally recommend you make this B&B one of your rest stops, you’ll be thankful you did. By the way, the nightly musical frog entertainment mentioned by others, it is part of the ambiance and comes free of charge. 

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GEM941
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pahoa
Chalet Kilauea
#3 of 17 in Pahoa
The Ohia House
The Ohia House
#1 of 17 in Pahoa

Been to Hale Moana Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!