“Pahoa B&Bs”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pahoa
Coconut Cottage Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 18 Pahoa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Sorry, I hate to trash talk businesses but will in this case. We had a reservation w/ this B&B, showed up on our reserved day at 5:30 p.m., no answer at the door. After leaving phone messages we finally got a reply. they had cancelled our reservation, claimed to have sent me an email "a week earlier". Actually it was they morning before and I had not received it. At least they were able to recommend another B&B, Hale Moana. I'm glad this worked out to stay elsewhere, as Coconut Cottage looked worn down. will not try them again, but would for sure go back to Hale Moana.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrea M
coconutcottage, Owner at Coconut Cottage Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

As was mentioned in previous responses during this time frame, our onsite managers abruptly left the property and cancelled all reservations. We sincerely apologize for this great inconvenience and stress this must have caused to guests. However, we have since hired new managers that are amazing and truly care about sharing their Hawaiian hospitality with all guests. We've also made some great improvement, including new carpet, paint and did an overall clean up of the property to reestablish Coconut Cottage as the premiere location to stay at when visiting this beautiful and unique are of the islands.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Two days before my booked and confirmed stay (April 24th 2014) at Coconut Cottage B&B I have been informed by its staff (Jerry) that the B&B is closing its doors until further notice. However, the B&B's website seems to be still online and bookings further on possible. The B&B is therefore maybe still running and they have dislodged me because I booked for only one night during the Merrie Monarch Festival. However, I booked the room several months in advance. After having checked with Jamie that the room is available for that one night I immediately paid the deposit whereupon I received a detailed confirmation for the stay by email. Whatever the case may be, if you don't want to be left in the lurch look for another place to stay in the Puna district.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pascal_Zurich

We apologize that our former managers abruptly left the establishment without notice during such a busy time. They wrote to guests as if they were the owner (Jerry) canceled reservations and hastily left the property in a state that did not meet our high standards. Since this review, I (Jerry) have visited and spent nearly six weeks cleaning up the property and bringing it back to its former glory. My weekly Skpe meetings and regular onsite visits with the managers ensures guests will enjoy a truly wonderful experience in this rare region of the world

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Here's the exact text of my response to the owner, who emailed and left me a voicemail to cancel my reservation while I was flying in. I have not heard back from him. I highly recommend the Hale Moana bed and breakfast just down the road. The one good thing out of all of this was that the cancellation ended with the transfer of my reservation to this alternate by the Coconut Cottage owner. Very sad.

My note to the owner below:

Now that I've had a day to calm down it is important to me that I say a few things to you.

Seriously. You voice mail and email me while I'm over the Pacific?? I'm sure there can be all kinds of business risks involved with running a small Bed and Breakfast but pulling out of a booking at the Very last minute for whatever reason is just not good.

Frankly I'm shocked that no one has called me today to ensure that my replacement accommodations were acceptable and that I'd found my way down the road.

As for cost, hardly my main concern But as for the price being less than your stated cost? Nope. Same price.

I stumbled last week on a listing showing that the coconut cottage was for sale on Zillow. I never guessed this would have a negative effect on my vacation. I suppose stranger things have happened, but wow.

Jerry, lucky for you Petra has been very gracious in letting you move me over to the Hale Moana. Did she tell you that her folks were also arriving in town last nite? First time she's seen them in a year and a half. Now she's also got to deal with me.

Still shaking my head over this one.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank lmalsby

We sincerely apologize that due to unforeseen circumstances we were not able to accommodate this guest and tried our very best to reach her in a number of ways prior to her arrival; we had no idea of her exact travel plans therefor if she only picked up or read her messages while flying we feel badly that she did not get word sooner. We have complete confidence in the other B&B and knew she would be in good hands. Since her visit, as the owner, I personally visited the property and worked for nearly six weeks to bring Coconut Cottage back to the high standards we have always held, including new carpet, paint and overall clean up of the beautiful botanical grounds. Our new managers are highly capable and have made some amazing improvements to the overall establishment and we look forward to serving guest from all around the world and sharing this truly unique area of the world.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Even though a bit rustic, it is still a great place to stay if you enjoy quietness. We loved our stay here. Doug is one deadly cook and makes an amazing breakfast for sure. Everything in Puna district is easily accessible from this location.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Geophysicist2014
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Six of us arrived on bicycles for a two night stay at the Coconut Cottage. Our host, Doug, went out of his way to make our stay enjoyable. He offered to buy food and wine for our dinner as he was going shopping in Hilo and even made the ceasar salad dressing and flavored the steak. His breakfasts were scrumptious with an assortment of fruit, portugese sausage and a fritata or quiche. Two of us stayed in the cottage which was private and spacious, one of the rooms was in the house itself and the third had an outside entrance. All in all, the accommodations were a bit rustic, in keeping with the area. The Puna was a great place for bicycling, snorkling the crystal clear water of the Kapoho tide pool and soaking up the warmth of the Ahalanui warm spring.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Followthesons
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We loved our stay at the Coconut Cottage Bed & Breakfast!! We stayed for two nights in the separate cottage which was very nice for three of us. Doug & Jaime are very friendly and helpful. They recommended Kaleo's in Pahoa for dinner which we tried and highly recommend also. Doug's breakfasts are the best you can find at any B&B. One morning he served an egg frittata along with a fantastic variety of local fruit, Portuguese sausage, delicious sweet bread, and more! The next day was similar but with quiche for the main dish. Mmm, so tasty!! We loved our stay here and will hopefully be back soon!

Room Tip: We recommend staying in the separate cottage - it worked perfectly for the 3 of us (my husband, daug...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Jamie and Doug make you feel like you are a part of their ohana when you stay at Coconut Cottage. Their adorable baby, Kai, is a pleasure to have around in the morning while enjoying a cup of Kona coffee.

We have stayed in the Bali suite which has a relaxing lanai off the patio doors. The suite is spacious, very nicely decorated. There was ample space for all of our belongings throughout the suite and bathroom.

The grounds and garden areas are beautiful and relaxing to wander through. There were even pineapples beginning to grow in the garden. Unfortunately, the hot tub was not operating during our visit. That didn't bother us since we were too tired at night from exploring the Pahoa area to use it. Instead, we enjoyed falling asleep to the chirping of the croqui frogs gentle rain.

The breakfasts that Doug provides are gourmet. Although he will accommodate any diet restriction, unless you absolutely cannot have what is being served, you will not want to miss it.
He keeps improving and reinventing breakfast dishes that were already outstanding. It is enjoyable to meet the other guests around the large table on the lanai, sharing their experiences and lives.

Jamie and Doug are a wealth of knowledge about the area and willing to share their stories of living on the Big Island.

Pahoa is a great place for exploring the entire Puna District. Coconut Cottage Bed and Breakfast has become our favorite place to stay while exploring the Puna District. It has a nice feeling about it that is difficult to put into words. We didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank whalesong
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pahoa
Chalet Kilauea
#3 of 18 in Pahoa
Lava Tree Tropic Inn
Lava Tree Tropic Inn
#4 of 18 in Pahoa

Been to Coconut Cottage Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!