“A Must See on the island”

Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Papaikou
More attraction details
Owner description: The Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden is a 501(c)(3) Scientific and Educational non-profit, whose mission is to serve as a nature preserve and sanctuary, a living seed bank, and a study center for trees and plants of the tropical world. The Garden is dedicated to the collection and display of the world's tropical plants,and to the education of both children and adults about the plight of the world's rainforests. At a time when rainforest plants are disappearing at an alarming rate, the Garden is working to preserve as many species as possible for the benefit of future generations.
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We included this garden on our road trip from Kona to Hilo based on the recommendation of our guide book. My husband wasn't sure why I wanted to take the time (we go for more adventurous excursions usually) but he was blown away when we saw the gardens. Such an amazing facility and, since we were staying in Kona, our only real experience with the type of rainforest experience. Our 10 year old and 15 year old were enthralled by the variety of plants and it was a great exercise break on our road trip. I really enjoyed the view of Onomea bay. Simply amazing - lots of wonderful pictures. I'm humbled at the generousity of the family who worked to put this in place for all of us to enjoy. I'm so glad their story was included on the tour.

2  Thank Suzanne S

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Wow, this place is amazing. Steep walk down the boardwalk on the way in and up on the way out, but they do offer golf cart transport for people with mobility problems. The walk around in the garden is made for wandering at your own pace. Waterfalls, an ocean side view, parrot habitat and orchid garden are all part of the stunning scenery. Different plants/trees are well marked with names and country of origin. Loved it and would highly recommend a visit.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Another must-do on the Hilo side. I felt like I was in Jurassic Park! The tropical forest/garden was beautiful! I could have spent hours admiring all the different species of fauna and the view of the ocean itself! Give yourself at least 1 - 2 hours to enjoy this place.

1  Thank Travel206Girl
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Plan a little over an hour to take in this spectacular garden. The flora and fauna are amazing, lush and colorful. The views of the ocean are excellent with crashing waves. It is very well maintained. A bit of hiking, hot and humid but highly rewarding!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This garden is the Smithsonian of botanical gardens. Immaculate detail throughout -- you will want 90 minutes minimum here. It is a "wow" experience even if you are not a botanical garden person and is rated as a "not to miss" in Big Island Revealed (which I absolutely agree with).

The garden in addition to its immaculate detail, has a gorgeous waterfall and part of the walk is along the ocean coast.

I am really surprised anyone rates this anything but the top ranking - seriously, this has got to be one of the top 5 botanical gardens in the world. A great way to enjoy this is to see Akaka Falls first (and Umama, but note that it has high entrance fee), have lunch at What's Shakin' and then drive the scenic route a couple miles to the Garden. Makes for a memorable day that you won't forget.