“plan to stay here again” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holo Holo Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Volcano
Holo Holo Inn
Princeton, New Jersey
“plan to stay here again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Wonderful hostel! The hostel was clean, the owners were kind and helpful, the room (we stayed in the private room) was comfortable. Our stay was very tranquil; one of the family members offered a roasted marshmallow when we arrived, the cat followed my partner upstairs, and the location was quiet and beautiful.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Suzanne K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

We were looking for some accomodation close to the Volcanoes National Park when we came across Holo Holo Inn. This place is amazing. We paid slightly more for a double room with an ensuite bathroom, but it was still exceedingly good value, particularly when you consider its position. Literally a 5 minute drive to the national park (which is fabulous!!) and a 10 minute walk into the small village of Volcano. Make sure you are armed with a torch if walking in at night as it gets really dark! The owner of the hostel and his family were all extremely friendly, and we couldn't get over just how clean everything was. Yes, they do close up for about 4 hours over lunchtime but to be honest, we didn't fly more than halfway around the world to sit in a hotel/hostel room. Being closed didn't affect us as we were out exploring the national park. We stopped at Holo for 3 nights which seemed just about right for exploring the local area.
Food wise, the kitchen is great for self catering, but we ate out each night, once at Thai Thai Restaurant and twice at Kiawe Kitchen, both of which were both very good indeed, offering a good range of veggie options, as well as one of the best steaks I've ever had (Kiawe Kitchen).
Also want to recommend Cafe Ohi'a for lunchtime food, which was great value and very tasty.

We would definately stay here again if we ever managed to get back to Volcano.

Room Tip: We were very happy with the room we chose, it was a double with priviate ensuite.
Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

A quaint hostel run by a Japanese gentleman and his family. It is in a great location, in a residential area, close to the local shop, restaurant and laundromat. Short drive to the Hawaii Volcano National Park and the Thurston Lava Tubes. The street is very narrow and not lit at night. Next door is the parking area in the yard of the Old Japanese school. We stayed in the new wing with a double bed and ensuite. The water is hot although the hot water in the sink is only a trickle. Water pressure in the shower is good although do not try to turn on the water in the sink at the same time - you will scald the showerer. The room and bathroom are very clean. There is no heating so in cold, rainy weather it is very cold indeed.
The kitchen has a large fridge for your food and a microwave. There is also a computer that you can use. There is however no wifi available even if you have your own laptop.
You must remove your shoes before entering the house and there is a bench outside for you to place your outdoor shoes on.
If you like cats, the owner has at least two very friendly ones and a dog.
The furniture is a collection of various very heavy, old styles put to gether. Some of it should be pensioned off.
The kitchen could do with a whole re-vamp.
There are beautiful orchids in the garden. The yard is very wet underfood after the rain and you will need to squelch to your car parked next door.
The owner is well travelled and knows the area very well.
The hostel is locked out between 11 and 4.30 so you need to be out by then and return later.
There is a pizza restaurant next to the small store where you can purchase a take away pizza for $17. You can also dine here - main courses around $25+. There is also a Thai restaurant close by next to a laundromat. If you are planning a longer than 1 day stay, then make sure you purchase your supplies at the supermarkets along the Highway out of Hilo on the way to Volcano, ie Walmart or KTA.
There is also a winery that is open every day just two miles past the entrance of the NP.
You can use the washing machine and dryers at the hostel by organising it in advance.
The hostel is not the Sheraton but if good value if you are on a budget or a family, as you can have a room with ensuite as well as using the kitchen to save money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new wing.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rasputin21
Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

A family owned and run Hostel in Volcano, just a block from the local store/restaurant/gas station not far from the Hawaii Volcano National Park gate. Very affordable.

Quiet, beautiful, natural setting and large home with M/F shared bathrooms/showers, and semi-private or dorm accommodations separated by M/F, and communal kitchen facility with all needed amenities, including fridge, pots/plates/silverware, stove, etc.

Nice place to meet other travelers, especially if traveling alone or interested in international guests.

I met some other international travelers at the Park who were staying here and reminded me I meant to call them, and when I arrived late in the evening without a reservation, the hostess was still happy to check me in.

Volcano can get chilly in the evenings so I was glad that they had made the beds with plenty of blankets and provided extras, which I grabbed in the middle of the night after all! Towels provided as well. Nice common area for TV/socializing if so desired.

I was not there long enough to experience, but the hostel is "locked out" during the day, so you have to go out and explore and can't sleep in unreasonably late (apx. 11am-4pm) although I am sure the family would understand if an explanation for exception were needed.

Hope to return some day for more at this quiet, beautiful place.

Room Tip: Bring cash only, no credit cards accepted.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Redding, Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

Synchronicity brought me here..and I was so blessed to stay in the hostel for one evening. It is a beautifully kept hostel with an amazing energy of the home as well as the land around it. Plus it comes with two adorable little girls who are wonderful greeters and playmates of the magical kind. Thank you so much for the lovely evening. They truly take hostel life to the next level. I highly recommend coming here....

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Stayed here one year ago with my boyfriend. The cost is what drew us to to Holo Holo as we were saving money on accomadations in some areas while splurging in others as we circumnavigated the Big Island. When we arrived a couple other single travelers where there but the larger dormitory room was vacant so they had us stay in there as our "private room." Only problem was the bed was average to slightly below average and this room is right next to the kitchen and it was loud; people were up late and early banging around getting their meals prepared. We should have been better prepared for this with ear plugs as I am sure savvy hostel travelers would be. The showers/bathrooms are fine (neither here nor there just your standard dorm syle bathroom).
What was exceptional:
-The owners who were very nice and accomodating (tip: you cannot wear shoes in the Inn, all shoes are taken off before you enter)
-Kitchen is well stocked and there is a communal computer in there to access the interenet;also it is stocked with a plethora of reading marterials and info on Hawaii/the Big Island.
-The location of Holo Holo Inn is great too as it's not directly off the main drag (so no traffic noise) and it's tucked away off this little street and it made me feel like we were experiencing the "real Hawaii" as opposed to the "tourist Hawaii."

For the money I'd probably stay here again but ask for a different bed (and hope it was more comfortable!). But if you're not interested in the saving money bit or a single traveler there are many other accomodations in Volcano that would be better (ie. nicer bed, quieter).
NOTE: If you stay in Volcano and are there on a Sunday you MUST go to the Volcano Farmer's Market; it is like none I have ever been to and I live in the San Francisco area where we have some amazing markets.

Room Tip: Not near the kitchen!
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

The owner has been a backpacker himself, so he knows what people are looking for in a hostel.

Close to attractions without breaking the bank -check (in this case HVNP)
Clean -check
Use of full kitchen -check
Social and friendly -check (though there weren't many guests when I stayed)

On top of that, internet is free -very nice bonus

There is a fairly long lockout, even for a hostel. But whatever. I didn't come to the Big Island to stay in my room.

I usually stay in a private room, and this one was nice -recently remodeled with wood panelling, making it look more like a rustic B&B than a hostel room. The bed was fine. Spacious ensuite bathroom with towels and soap provided.

Happened to be there on Thanksgiving. I didn't think restaurants would be open, but that's why I bought some food and stayed in a hostel. What I didn't expect, however, was the hostel owners cooking all the guests a major Thanksgiving feast! That was truly above above and beyond the call of duty. Awesome family!

My only issue was that they keep the place COLD! Even the shower was no refuge. The water wasn't so cold that I wanted to get out, but it was lukewarm enough that I didn't want to linger. The second night, however, I asked for a space heater, which was readily provided, and life was really good after that. I would've stayed more time had I known the place was so nice.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo