“Super fun after Volcano hike”
Review of Volcano Winery

Ranked #5 of 18 things to do in Volcano
Portland, Oregon, United States
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Super fun after Volcano hike”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Found out this winery existed on our big Island drive, and knew we had to come here to cap the night off before going to our bed and breakfast! We ordered the multiple kind of cheese plate and it was way more than enough food for 2 people, and opted to do the tasting with the extra infused tea wine. As a hot sauce connoisseur I was super excited to see their various goodies and they offered to let me do a hot sauce tasting- yes! Their wines were pretty good- the two that stood out the most and we ended up taking home were the Volcano red and the Infusion tea wine. Unfortunately we were there as they were closing so we didn't take a tour of the vineyards, but they did a very thorough job of explaining the pairings/ingredients in detail so we were happy. Definitely recommend this place to come after a hike, not before...they give pretty generous pours!

Visited May 2014

Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“They charge for tasting!”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Sorry, but I am from wine country in Colorado and when they told me they would charge me $5 to taste a wine, I was appalled. I have never heard of such a thing and was truly offended. this was so Bizarre I couldn't bring myself to actually purchase anything. And I agree with some of the other "customers". The staff was too busy visiting to even acknowledge customers. It is a small winery and I expect it will always stay that way..I can't see how they could ever grow a customer base this way.

Visited May 2014
VolcanoWinery, Owner at Volcano Winery, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for the feedback. Since we have had several comments about the charge for tastings, let me address that first. For our first 20 years we never charged for tastings but quite honestly, tour groups were advertising "free wine tasting" as a highlight of their tours but seldom gave the group enough time to enjoy the experience or to purchase. Besides pouring a lot of wine free, it often sacrificed the experience of others when large groups would come in. When we can properly plan for groups, we believe we can give them a good experience, as well as, our other customers. Much like California, we found that we couldn't afford to staff up for the tour groups without getting paid for the wine we were pouring.

For your second point about being ignored while visiting, I truly ask for your forgiveness. If you read through the reviews, you will see that we take great pride in our friendly, relaxed environment and usually, we are rewarded with great reviews from our customers. The fact that you did not get this Aloha feeling, says we still have to work harder and I apologize for your experience. I truly encourage you to visit us again, if you ever get a chance, and I believe you will find that you will have a great experience. We are a small friendly winery with a line up of grape wines along with unique Hawaiian Fruit blended with grape wines. We would like to grow but you are right, we probably will never be a large winery with international or even national distribution. It is a winery in paradise but not in a location that allows us to compete on a national basis.
Grafton, Massachusetts
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“If you are at the Volcanoes Park, hit the winery!”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

If you like wine, this is something you should do if you are going to the park, as it is close by. For $8 you get to try 8 different wines ($5 for 7 but you miss one of the interestiung ones). The staff was very friendly and knowledgable.

Visited June 2014
Tucson, Arizona
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Interesting wines...and a great experience”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This was an enjoyable, relaxed wine tasting experience. The lady who was pouring was very friendly and knowledgeable about the wines. She did a great job of explaining how the various wines were made. It was $5 for the "Standard" wine tasting and $3 for the "premium" tasting which includes the infused tea. But they are really flexible and let you share so my wife and I just split the infusion from the premium tasting so if was only $13 for the two of us. Portions for the tasting were generous and they let you re-taste any of the wines if you want to.

All of the wines were really unique, Normally my wife and I aren't big fans of sweet wines and most of their wines were definitely on the sweet side. But we really enjoyed them anyway because they were so different than anything else we've tasted.

Overall this was a great wine tasting experience.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank DesertBeachLover
Osseo, Wisconsin
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Delightful”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We have a quirky habit of always visiting a winery (or meadery) if there's one in the area we vacation in. I honestly wasn't expecting a lot from a Hawaiian winery, but I was very pleasantly surprised. The store/tasting room is very pleasant and in addition to wine they had some interesting art and jewelry for sale. Although you have to pay for the tasting, a trend I still haven't gotten used to, the pours are generous and if you need a re-test you can get one. I wish I could recall the names of the two sweet young ladies working at the tasting bar, they were both from Minnesota and Hawaiian Aloha and Minnesota Nice go very well together. Oh, the wines are actually very good to excellent, and even better, interisland shipping was free so we had 6 bottles shipped over to Maui where we were going next. We also took a couple along for while we were on the Big Island, so it must have been good ;)

If you're in the area and you drink wine, stop by. You'll meet some very nice folks and sample some unique but excellent wines. Try the Fusion tea, it's worth it, too.

Visited April 2014