“If You Are Even a Moderately Serious Wine Drinker - Don't Bother...”
Review of Volcano Winery

and up
Kilauea Hike and Glow from Kona
Ranked #6 of 18 things to do in Volcano
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I finely stopped here and I was disappointed. I'm not sure what I expected, but it was a let down for me. This is not a real winery (and I knew that, but I still expected a better quality of wine); it is a quaint little unique tourist destination. I did not care for any of the wines, they are extremely fruity (think slightly boozy, somewhat sweet, very fruity, with strong nut flavors that sort of tastes a little like wine), after a sip, I poured it out on every offering...I'm sure some individuals will like them, but they were definitely not something I liked nor are they something that I can recommend. The price was decent for the number of selections; however they did not let you keep the glass. So keep that in mind, if you are going there for the souvenir glass or to add to your collection of winery glasses you will have to purchase it separately.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Cute little place, with a nice selection of souvenirs. The tastings were generous. The staff was attentive, friendly and informative ~ so much so that I bought 2 bottles of wine. It was a nice way to spend an hour before continuing on to the Volcano.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Found out this winery existed on our big Island drive, and knew we had to come here to cap the night off before going to our bed and breakfast! We ordered the multiple kind of cheese plate and it was way more than enough food for 2 people, and opted to do the tasting with the extra infused tea wine. As a hot sauce connoisseur I was super excited to see their various goodies and they offered to let me do a hot sauce tasting- yes! Their wines were pretty good- the two that stood out the most and we ended up taking home were the Volcano red and the Infusion tea wine. Unfortunately we were there as they were closing so we didn't take a tour of the vineyards, but they did a very thorough job of explaining the pairings/ingredients in detail so we were happy. Definitely recommend this place to come after a hike, not before...they give pretty generous pours!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Sorry, but I am from wine country in Colorado and when they told me they would charge me $5 to taste a wine, I was appalled. I have never heard of such a thing and was truly offended. this was so Bizarre I couldn't bring myself to actually purchase anything. And I agree with some of the other "customers". The staff was too busy visiting to even acknowledge customers. It is a small winery and I expect it will always stay that way..I can't see how they could ever grow a customer base this way.

VolcanoWinery, Owner at Volcano Winery, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for the feedback. Since we have had several comments about the charge for tastings, let me address that first. For our first 20 years we never charged for tastings but quite honestly, tour groups were advertising "free wine tasting" as a highlight of their tours but seldom gave the group enough time to enjoy the experience or to purchase. Besides pouring a lot of wine free, it often sacrificed the experience of others when large groups would come in. When we can properly plan for groups, we believe we can give them a good experience, as well as, our other customers. Much like California, we found that we couldn't afford to staff up for the tour groups without getting paid for the wine we were pouring.

For your second point about being ignored while visiting, I truly ask for your forgiveness. If you read through the reviews, you will see that we take great pride in our friendly, relaxed environment and usually, we are rewarded with great reviews from our customers. The fact that you did not get this Aloha feeling, says we still have to work harder and I apologize for your experience. I truly encourage you to visit us again, if you ever get a chance, and I believe you will find that you will have a great experience. We are a small friendly winery with a line up of grape wines along with unique Hawaiian Fruit blended with grape wines. We would like to grow but you are right, we probably will never be a large winery with international or even national distribution. It is a winery in paradise but not in a location that allows us to compete on a national basis.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

If you like wine, this is something you should do if you are going to the park, as it is close by. For $8 you get to try 8 different wines ($5 for 7 but you miss one of the interestiung ones). The staff was very friendly and knowledgable.