“Different and memorable experience”
Review of Treehouse Skye

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Volcano
Treehouse Skye
Ranked #11 of 32 Volcano B&B and Inns
“Different and memorable experience”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Awesome experience, never to be forgotten. Skye (the owner) is passionate about his creation - he designed and built it. It is located in a rather dense jungle near Volcano National Park. He was attentive, helped with selecting the surrounding attractions. Very quiet except for birds and other nearby critters. Wonderful to hear wind through the foliage and rain on the roof. Romantic escape and so much more interesting than a hotel. Well worth it and we'd return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ShiShiJoJo

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We really enjoyed our family stay in Skye's tree house! Imagine our teen daughter's surprise when after a looong day of travel, the road got smaller, trees got bigger and we were guided by a waving "light" in the distance! Then we ducked through the "jungle" to the steps and the astonishment when they realized it was in fact a tree house! (We kept that a secret). Never dulled from viewing details inside and out! Skye was a wealth of knowledge and the proximity to the volcano was perfect! Clean, shower temp never a problem (5 people), and just plain serene! Loved it completely and hope to bring others back! Do not be hesitant to stay here!

Room Tip: Bed on the platform is wonderful!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Seattle, WA area
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We had been planning our trip to the Big Island for about a year, and when I started researching places to stay, I knew that the Volcano area was a must. When I came about this treehouse on this website, we knew immediately that this was the place to stay. When we arrived it was even better than we'd imagined! The area is so secluded, surrounded in gorgeous tree ferns and ohea lehua trees, and everything else tropical. The birdsong, the sound of the rain (it only rained one night we were there, out of 4), the windows all around letting in the natural daylight, the sights and sounds of the rainforest... magical!
The amenities here were perfect too. Full kitchen, full bathroom, hot water for showers (which never went cold), DVDs to watch about the volcanoes and all kinds of other movies, artwork made by Skye, extra blankets and pillows, this place literally has it all. It feels like you're staying in someone's home, someone's really really really cool home! It is a real house, just up in the trees, and hand built with true craftmanship. Skye was very friendly and there to greet us when we arrived (with his kitty Joe) and great to chat with. He has a wealth of knowledge about the area and recommendations for places to eat and things to see while in the area.
Overall, it was the BEST way to start off the honeymoon, we couldn't be happier (except if we were still there)!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Calgary, AB
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I am not sure how I came about finding this place - but boy am I sure glad I did!! I found Skye's property on VRBO when looking for the lack of accommodation in Volcano National Park. I'm somewhat spoiled when it comes to places to sleep - so I didn't want to stay in a 2 star hotel/motel nearby.

If I was.. it might as well be in a treehouse - be like camping right??

So prepped for the worst.. we followed the perfect directions laid out by Skye to the treehouse. It was kind of scary for me (I'm also a wuss) - as we drove down stretches of roads to get to the treehouse. The last stretch was a thin road covered in luscious trees and bushes. Makes you realize how in the 'middle of nowhere' you are.

Being we only had two nights in Big Island, we wanted to try this middle stop no matter what (we flew into Hilo and flew out of Kona).

We met up with Skye - he was super nice which eased our unease. The first thing my hubby said when we pulled up was 'oh my god we are going to get killed and noone would know it'. On top he was like 'what did you get us into and where did you find this place'.. my reply 'oh.. the internet..'. Once you meet Skye - your feelings of fear dissipate! He is so friendly and is so informative. Even showed us where to eat, how the treehouse was built (if you ask!) and what to do! He loves volcanoes as depicted in his treehouse .. so he was the one that told us about the lava flow, and that it was active!

Although our treehouse was a smaller version of the one advertised (it was his first one), it was so fun and I highly recommend it for families with kids! Even my own friends who saw our pictures (we are in our 30's) are stoked to visit now!

From the outside, my hubby again, doubting my inner feelings, said 'this is going to be soooo fun' in sarcasm. As we walked up the stairs, and Skye opened the doors - wow! We were shocked! Hubby turned from a crabby man to a little boy! The place was very clean, very well kept and had all the amenities you can ask for in an apartment. We would actually LIVE here if given the chance!

The kitchen had all you need, a tiny fridge, a light up stove and big sink. The shower had great water flow considering we were in a tree house, and had better hot water than some hotels I've been to! The toilet was working perfect and didn't smell at all (considering your in a treehouse).

The upstairs housed the bed which you can see a panoramic view of the forest and it was just so amazing to wake up to. At night it is so quiet - you can see the stars.

I am not going to lie, driving here after dinner in Pahoa - was so scary for me. Even staying in the treehouse was eery but yet so exciting. I mean you are in the middle of nowhere away from everything in a treehouse!!

Cons: The mirrors were in the toilet were meant for light i think.. but freaked the world out of me at night when going to the bathroom!! Literally were mirrors everywhere!! The only heat source is from the fireplace. It was about 15 degrees celsius that night so kind of chilly - but just like camping. There is extra blankets for those cold nights! There is no cable or internet - but your in a treehouse - ENJOY IT without all the electrical bothers!

Play the boardgames provided, cuddle with your loved ones by the fireplace.. anddd a perfect place to tell those scary ghost stories of a little girl appearing in the middle of the road while you drive here! EEEEPS!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sunjoyjoy
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Do not come to this place unless you want a truly amazing experience. It is a tree house, which means it won't have the amenities of a 4 star hotel. However, you enter through a magical rain forest walk. You walk up a flight of stairs to enter a house that has been built in a tree ... but with amazing amenities. It is a comfortable place to hang out. The second floor bedroom is a dream ... if only we had had star light it would have been beyond amazing.

First floor has a living room with fire place, which we only used one night. Skye is replacing it because the draw is a bit touchy. Kitchen is so ingenious. I was blown away by having, not only coffee beans but a coffee grinder. What a treat!

Sky welcomed us with champagne and helped us with our luggage. He was very available with any issues we had ... which were minor. He is a great host and, clearly wants to make this a great experience for guests. We spent some time visiting with him and he is a very interesting person.

I would like to say something negative, since I tend to discount the top reviews ... but I can't think what it would be. The only thing that would improve the experience would be the availability of wi-fi.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beckyvf
Raleigh
Reviewed 3 October 2012

We booked the treehouse for two nights of our honeymoon, and in my mind we were going to want to snuggle up in there all day and night with a couple bottles of wine and never even see the national park. This unfortunately was not the case at all. On the plus side, the place is very much just as it appears in the pictures... A very cool and unique experience up in the trees! The owner, Skye, is super nice and helpful, and your stay will be an adventure. That being said, I just never felt comfortable and at ease in the treehouse. When we arrived we were smacked by a strong mildew smell. The place seemed perfectly clean, but I can never feel clean in a place that smells like that. We actually went into Volcano in search of a scented candle, to no avail. The only heat options in the place are the fireplace (which oddly spills out onto the kitchen table) and some space heaters. This means that when you come home out of the cold rain at night, your place is cold. The water in the shower doesn't have a temperature dial... It's just "on" and sort of warm. This is especially problematic when you are already chilled to the core. Being exposed by all the glass didn't bother me at all initially, but during the night some of the noises in the many rainstorms actually sounded like footsteps overhead, and despite knowing it was just the rain, it left me feeling like a sitting duck. Add to this a peak under the house at the trees that are holding up the house (one of which recently died)... yikes! Lastly, something about the layout of this place is just...weird. Somebody needs to get in there and apply some serious feng shui. In summary, cool place, neat experience, nice owner, worth trying out, but we were more than ready to go after the first night.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank charlienc79
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 August 2012

If you are intrigued by sleeping in a solar powered treehouse very close to Volcano National Park, then don't miss this one! Skye has several treehouses- we stayed in #2 also called NTH I think. The attention to detail and use of recycled materials is quite impressive. There are some amenities you might not expect including a shower, flushable toilet, 2 gas burners for cooking and a wood burning stove for heat. We slept 5 without problem. Skye met us and made sure we were comfortable and oriented to the area. Staying here enhances the whole rainforest experience-well worth the cost for this unique treehouse.

Room Tip: Look at each treehouse- they are quite different in style
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank italytrip5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Volcano
Chalet Kilauea
The Guest Cottages at Volcano Acres Tree House
Kilauea Lodge
Kilauea Lodge
#1 of 20 in Volcano

Been to Treehouse Skye? Share your experiences!