“Fantastic 5 day adventure”
Review of VolcanoDiscovery Hawai'i - CLOSED

VolcanoDiscovery Hawai'i
More attraction details
Owner description: VolcanoDiscovery Hawai'i is now proud to support educational excursions through the non-profit Friends of Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park! By supporting the Friends, clients are provided with a captive expert guide of the same high quality but at a significantly lower cost than a luxury tour, with proceeds directly funding forest restoration, the Hawksbill Turtle (Honu 'ea) Recovery Project, the Nene Recovery Project, the park's Junior Ranger program, and the Youth Internship Program for underserved, at-risk students to work in the park. To experience the best of Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park with an expert instructor or naturalist guide, contact the Hawai'i Volcanoes Institute-On-Demand. Guides with VolcanoDiscovery training are available by special request through the Friends based on availability. VolcanoDiscovery continues to provide volcano news and global volcano travel despite discontinuing its Hawai'i luxury tour service.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Hong Kong, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic 5 day adventure”
Reviewed 17 February 2011

We met Phil at Hilo airport and left him at Kona airport, inbetween we had 5 great days. Phil gave us a crash course on Hawaiian volcanoes, Hawaiian culture and sites and then he organized the best dive we have ever made in Kona, followed by a relaxing day snorkeling at Kealakekua Bay. Amazing vacation!

Visited December 2010
1 Thank Miketherunner

Baker City, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Superior Volcano Discovery Lava Proximity Hike”
Reviewed 15 February 2011

Arthur, from Volcano Discovery, provided an excellent 4 hour tour for our small group on the hike to view flowing hot lava near Kalapana. This journey of discovery was absolutely fabulous! We were so astounded and mesmerized by the ever changing lava that it was difficult to leave this stunning landscape. Arthur was exceptionally courteous, and very respectful and knowledgeable about the geologic, natural and cultural landscape. We felt comfortable and secure with the route and the careful safety precautions taken by Volcano Discovery. We highly recommend this as an adventure not to be missed! Photographic opportunities are amazing. Anyone who wishes to have a memorable experience would do well to engage Volcano Discovery. Both Phil and Arthur are super professionals! Our arrangements were easily made, and communications prompt and thorough. Proper equipment was provided, with a yummy snack of fresh fruit and juice as the conclusion to our evening. We hiked out in daylight, and returned after dark, with Arthur expertly guiding us over the easiest lava terrain. We much appreciated the cooperation and coordination with the local community and landowners. Arthur and Phil, you are superior! Mahalo, from Mary, Susie, and Brenda!

Visited February 2011
1 Thank elkhorngal
Vancouver Island, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Volcano Park and lava field tour”
Reviewed 9 February 2011

My husband and I were recently on the Big Island of Hawaii with the main purpose of touring the Volcano Park and hoping to see flowing lava. After researching on the internet and looking through TA, I went with VolcanoDiscovery, and I am so glad I did ! I contacted Phil and Arthur and we corresponded via email to clarify what it was my husband and I were looking for in a tour. Phil went out of his way to post a group tour based on the dates we were on the Island and what we would like to do. In the end it was just my husband and I out for the day with Arthur. Talk about preferential treatment. Arthur's insight to Island vegetation and volcanic history was impressive. I could go on and on but will just reiterate our tour was money well spent and the day the highlight of our trip. In fact next year when we go to Hawaii we are going to go straight to the Big Island to explore everything we missed this time. One further note in regard to my desire to see flowing lava up close - SPECTACULAR ! There were other people out on the lava field at the same time as my husband and I but some were taking safety risks I felt unnecessary. Whereas, Arthur was fairly adamant that he was not willing to take us to the same area others were viewing based on his concern for our safety. Again his thoughtfulness and professionalism only added to the quality of our tour. If your thinking of doing a similar type tour, spend a few more dollars and get an experience you will never forget. Thank you Phil and Arthur for your combined efforts to make the day so wonderful.

Tammy and Andy
Canada

1 Thank funseekers11
Michigan
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Two days weren't nearly enough.”
Reviewed 2 February 2011

In January of 2011, my partner and I along with two great friends of ours had a two day private tour of the Big Island with Arthur (24 hours spread over two days). I'll be 100% honest when I tell you that we had originally booked the tour for the simple fact of not having to deal with the driving or decision making. In the end... Wow! I can't tell you how much more we got out of this tour. The Big Island affords no shortage of amazing sights and geological wonders to see and Arthur was a wealth of information; truthful, fact-based information that you can't find in a guide book. Yes, even THAT book. Arthur is obviously passionate about his island and the culture and the respect he has for the land is contagious.

Prior to the tour, our group was discussing exactly how we were going to manage to fill 24 hours of tour time. Phillip put us at ease during the booking process and our worries completely evaporated within the first 30 minutes with Arthur. The conversation flowed effortlessly and Arthur filled our time with sights, sounds, food, and friendship. Honestly, 24 hours wasn't nearly enough. In fact, I would not hesitate one minute to return to the Big Island and hire Arthur and VolcanoDiscovery for twice that.

Going on a private tour, or any tour for that matter, as a same-sex couple has the potential of becoming a disaster. I know because we've been there. VolcanoDiscovery (Phillip & Arthur) were a pleasure to deal with and I won't hesitate to recommend them to anyone who travels to the Big Island in the future. Arthur gave us much more than a tour of the Big Island, he gave us respect and friendship. All four of us were sad to see him drive away after dropping us back off at the house.

Phillip, thank you for all your assistance in setting up our tour. Arthur, thank you for your patience, respect, knowledge, and most of all your friendship. This tour won't soon be forgotten!

3 Thank SPGryphon
Sherwood Park, Canada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“AWESOME - even with kids (9 & 12)!!!”
Reviewed 2 February 2011

We took the 4 hour tour from Kalapana with Arthur on January 30 and it was amazing. We spent time going over the black sand beach (Kalapana) and history of the eruption and area - the pictures provide a great visual. We then drove to the lava flow site and were extremely lucky that it was within a 2 minute walk. Arthur found us a few different locations to watch the flow and have some photo opportunities. It was one of the coolest things we have done. It was hotter than you can ever imagine. We were grateful that Arthur lent us his camera as we showed up with no batteries! Thanks a million :)

1 Thank sptravelfamily